DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio technica (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30852-audio-technica.html)

Richard Tamayo August 22nd, 2004 07:55 PM

audio technica

Has anyone had any experiance with this brand of wireless system? I did some searches and just wanted some advice on this brand. What kind of sound quality could I expect from this brand?

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 22nd, 2004 07:58 PM

Search this forum, you'll find it's one of the 3 most commonly mentioned brands in a favorable light. Audio Technica, like everyone else, makes models that are super quality, and models that aren't super quality. Depends on your budget and needs. You didn't specify a model, and AT makes 6-7 different price point wireless systems, ranging from a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand.
Most folks here seem to like Audio Technica, not the least of which is me. I love their gear.

Matt Gettemeier August 22nd, 2004 08:14 PM

I've used one of their $500 systems quite a bit. The ATU101 (I believe?)... that's the price at B&H.

Anyway I found it to be very satisfactory... with clean sound and efficient use of diversity. Proper setup is important on that unit... you need to tweak the transmitter/receiver power for best results... just like any good wireless system.

Running the transmitter hotter and the receiver to camera lower usually gives you the best noise floor... but you have to find the "happy point". :-)

If you're serious about using wireless then you should expect this to be a realistic starting budget... if it's just something you want as an occasional option at very short distances in NON-critical situations then I think Douglas can suggest some economical alternatives from Audio Technica... that still work really well for the money.

I concur that Audio Technica offers about the best bang for the buck in several categories. One of my favorite cheap cardioids is the At3031 ($170)... the best BFTB short shotgun is the 4073a ($530)... and the best BFTB long shotgun is the 4071a ($630)... and they make a great lav for $200 At-899.

Audio Technica has a great mic for just about every category... from low budget to mid-budget. They don't have much of a presence in the high-end price-range... and I think their hyper-cardioids could be a little better... but with everything else I think they offer really solid choices at each price point.

Richard Tamayo August 23rd, 2004 08:21 PM

I found the atw601L UHF wireless mis system and the 600 freeway series UHF. Those may for now be in my price range. Does anyone know anything about these? I am trying to stay with a UHF wireless system.

Jay Massengill August 24th, 2004 09:52 AM

These work reasonably well for their cost, but they aren't camera-mounted portable systems. The base receiver does require AC power through an adapter. These systems aren't true diversity either, they just have two antennae to set at an angle to get better reception.
How do you plan to use these?

Richard Tamayo August 24th, 2004 03:47 PM

I was planning on using it for a wedding next week. What do you recommend for a set up? I know it isn't much to spend but I am not making a career at it. I am doing it for free also. In reality I didn't figure I would even find a UHF setup for $200. Something that would catch the groom and bride saying vows. Camera mounted would be good.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 24th, 2004 03:57 PM

Richard,
What's the MAXIMUM distance you'll be from the mics/transmitters?
The Pro88 is quite impressive for short distances, say up to 40'or so.
I won't trust them quite that far, but I've seen and heard of people going farther. They're at your price point, but VHF. If you get them early enough, you could test them. You can also usually rent.

Richard Tamayo August 24th, 2004 06:27 PM

40 feet might just do it. I checked out a thread you posted about Pro88. It was interesting and helpful. I also checked out a link to buy it. Will this be compatable on my GL2, as far as the adapters?