DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Azden SGM-1X mike with a Canon Elura 70? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/31428-azden-sgm-1x-mike-canon-elura-70-a.html)

Larry Lowe September 5th, 2004 11:59 AM

Azden SGM-1X mike with a Canon Elura 70?

I am on a short fuse, need to get a package put together this coming weekend to tape some motor sports where I want to get the audio of the engines along with the image.

I am going to be using a Canon Elura 70.

Word on the other threads is that the Azden SGM-1X mike is the choice for a Canon GL-2.

And a simple connector will adapt it to the audio in of the GL-2.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8842&perpage=15&highlight=canon%20dm50&pagenumber=4

Is it safe to assume the same set up would work on an Elura 70?

Can anyone give positive advice about this specific combination before I pull the trigger on buying the SGM-1X?

And, asuming this mike is compatible, what's the best wind muff? I'll be in a windy environment and need to muffle that.

Thanks in Advance,

Eager newbie.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 5th, 2004 09:16 PM

I don't know the Elura, but I didn't know that they had a mount for an external mic?
You won't be getting much with the Azden, they are nice looking though.
Sorry for the late response, it's a holiday weekend.

Larry Lowe September 5th, 2004 09:46 PM

Doug:

The Elura has an external input for audio in addition to the mike embedded in the case. It's a stereo mini jack and I understand a simple converter from the XLR audio format of the SGM-1 mike will transfer the signal to the Elura 70. My real question is if anyone has done it or knows for a fact that the signal level will match, etc.

There is an "advanced accessory shoe" on the top of the camera that the Cannon DM-50 will mount to. I understand that an extension to that shoe will allow the SGM-1 to be mounted and end up out of sight of the lens.

Your last line, "You won't be getting much with the Azden, they are nice looking though." is a bit cryptic for me. Much what? Directional selectivity, audio quality? Wind noise?

The thread I linked to above spend a month or so sorting out low end directional mikes and came to the conclusion the SGM-X was a good mike.

It's got to be better than the mike that is on the camcorder and apparently its better than the Canon DM-50. I want to put together a low end system on a budget and a directional mike of any nature is way better than none.

So if it's fundamentally compatible, it will serve my purpose to buy,

When I get better at all of this, I'll invest in a lot higher end equipment.

So the question becomes: "Is there any fundamental incompatibility I don't know about between the Canon Elura 70 and the SGM-X?"

http://inoax.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=6231&section=

Bryan Beasleigh September 5th, 2004 09:54 PM

The Azden is a low cost mic and certainly not "The product" to have.
At $150, it's about the lowest cost shotgun mic.

For $240 you can buy a professional quality AT shotgun The Audio Technica 835b

For a few dollars more ($279) The Audio Technica 897 will rival mics costing $400. In 5 years this mic will still be worth damn near what you paid, the Azden will most likely be on the closet shelf or in the dump.

For some basic understanding look at the available specs. The AT is more than complete while the 'other" is a paragraph of iffy specs.

Azden

AT-897
AT897 PDF

AT-835b
AT-835b PDF

You will require an adapter cable at the very least. I suggest trying the $9.50 cable first before buying a Beach Tek or other impedance matching device. get your feet wet first. The cable will work fine, I've used them on two cameras that I have.

Female XLR to 1/8 mini stereo right angled cable ($950) (click)

**"When I get better at all of this, I'll invest in a lot higher end equipment."

As an example, one of the members bought the Azden and withing 2 months bought another mic. Total cost was $150 for the Azden and $400 for the Sennheiser ME66 / K6. Total cost was 45509 plus tax , plus shipping twice.

If you buy the AT 897, that's $280 for a mic that will last. If you go the other route thats $150 plus $280.

Larry Lowe September 5th, 2004 10:11 PM

Thanks Bryan!

I'll look into availability on Tuesday.

What is the thought on the wind protection device?

Budget balanced with effectiveness.

Larry

Bryan Beasleigh September 6th, 2004 09:43 AM

You could try a Rycote Windjammer. It'll fit over the foam thatncomes with the Audio Technica

For the best all round solution, get a 18cm medium Rycote Softie.

Larry Lowe September 7th, 2004 11:44 AM

Thanks!

Thanks to my new friends on the list, I got to B&H and ordered the Audio Technica 897, a Senn suspension mount and the female XRL to male mini cable. It should arrive in a couple of days and will be joined by the camera kit. I put my budget into the more expensive mike as the sales guy was honestly concerned about the longer 835b on the small cam and Bryan's note was so clear about the value.

I then determined to go get some soft silk and some fur down at the fabric store and stitch myself up a decent wind sock/shield, as I could not see paying (or afford at the moment) the price for the Rycote Softie. I don't expect to be shooting in a raging wind and the fur will cut the noise on the surface of the foam.

Will bundle this all up and go to the Reno Air Races and let you know how it worked when I return. Thanks for the advice, all. I avoided buying the Canon and then buying the AT.

Larry

Bryan Beasleigh September 7th, 2004 04:37 PM

The mini Wind Jammer and the Pole Cat are nothing more than a fake fur cover, either tied or velcroed on to the foam wind shield.

Larry Lowe September 8th, 2004 07:21 AM

Audio Technica 897 w/foam windshield dimensions?

Took me three different tries, but I finally located a reasonable fake fur at a fabric store.

Equipment is on the way but I'd like to get the sleeves sewn up as soon as possible.

Can some one who has an Audio Technica 897 put the foam wind screen that comes with it on and measure the circumference of the resulting cylinder and the length I'll need to cover in the fur?

With those dims, I can lay a pattern out on the thin, smooth inner shield and the black grizzly furr outer shield, cut the material and then take it over to the fabric store and get the thing sewn up in advance.

If so that would be a big help.

Larry