DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio to Hard Disk (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/32716-audio-hard-disk.html)

Kent Dammand September 29th, 2004 02:46 PM

Audio to Hard Disk

Im going to record thru a mixer and into Pro Tools LE on my powerbook. This is because we have feeds from the computer and mics also.

Any tips on the session settings I should use on the Pro Tools LE Powerbook session?

Im shooting in 30p with a DVX and the mixer is delivering 48k audio to the camera and the powerbook.

Any other issues I should be aware of ...like to avoid drift etc?

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 29th, 2004 04:04 PM

Keep your hard disk defragged.
You'll be lucky if you get lengthy records, simply because of the fact that you're using a laptop harddrive that is also the host of the OS. If possible, i'd recommend using external.

Kent Dammand September 29th, 2004 04:11 PM

Thanks Douglas

I am using external

just wondering about drift issues and settings etc

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 29th, 2004 04:15 PM

As long as you are 48k, 16 bit, you shouldn't see any real drift. You'll see some, simply because of the different clocks. If it's lengthy program, 20 mins or so...it might be enough to cause you to be off by a few frames.

Kent Dammand September 29th, 2004 04:29 PM

The thing I dont get is, does the risk of capture drift between devices start over everytime we stop and then start another take, even if it in the same timeline/track??

Aslo, are you saying if I use 24 bit there will be more drift?

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 29th, 2004 05:24 PM

If you use 24 bit, there likely will be more drift.shorter stops/starts are good things for sync.

Kent Dammand October 26th, 2004 12:35 AM

Unique? Workflow.

Unique? Workflow.

This is about workflow on location using only PT LE on Powerbook.
Need to capture audio from PT to PT LE and VO to DVX camera at same time. then edit entire project in vegas video.

Situation:
Narrator is on camera talking.
PT audio must be captured simultaneously and separately so pristine audio soundtrack can be used in post along with camera Voice track.

Two shotguns.
One mic runs to camera with Y splitter sending same signal to L and R at different levels.
Second mic runs to PT LE as cue track.
ADAT from PT HD system to 002 and into Powerbook running LE.

Problem= using this method I still don’t have time code in PT LE session that will make post audio easier in vegas.

Ricardo Renaldi October 28th, 2004 04:38 PM

24 bits more drift?

Hi, not to sound unrespectfull here, but I can not understand the reason why recording to 24 bits is going to exibit more drift that 16 bits.

As far as I understand the reason for the drif are the two different clocks (camcorder or VTR and 002) and that is unchanged either in 16 or 24 bits, they are still two unrelated 48000 clock circles.(if you record n 48K of course).

cheers

Ric