DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lectrosonic Wireless (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/33403-lectrosonic-wireless.html)

Paul Chun October 13th, 2004 06:33 PM

Lectrosonic Wireless

I'm looking for a good wireless setup and Lectrosonic seems to be very good. Anyone with a setup like this with any feedback? Which model should I be looking at? I'm just looking for something basic but reliable with good audio. Something I could use a wireless lav with or plug into a mixing board to get a audio feed.

Jeff Donald October 13th, 2004 08:51 PM

It would be hard to get any better performance or reliability. I've used them for years, in ENG and EFP. None better in my opinion.

Paul Chun October 13th, 2004 09:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : It would be hard to get any better performance or reliability. I've used them for years, in ENG and EFP. None better in my opinion. -->>>

Jeff,

What model are you using and what can I expect to pay for a Lectrosonic setup?

James Emory October 13th, 2004 09:49 PM

Check out this link and scroll down to the 100 series. I'm assuming that you're shooting DV. If not, find the series that best fits your rig. Once you find the one you want, go to somewhere like B&H and find out how much. I think the 100 series will cost around 1200.00 - 1500.00. I agree that it's the best plug and play system out there, well worth it.

www.lectrosonics.com/wireless/wireless.htm

Jeff Donald October 13th, 2004 09:52 PM

Paul, I've used almost every model they make at one time or another. I worked in broadcast for a while and Lectrosonics was all we used. I currently own 100 and 400 series units. I'v owned 200 series in the past.

Rick Bravo October 13th, 2004 10:21 PM

Lectrosonics ARE awesome!

We've been using the Lavs and the "cubes" for over 10 years, under all kinds of adverse conditions. They are the true workhorses in our audio arsenal and are still going strong today. The only thing we replace is the occasional mic and/or antenna that falls victim to wear and tear.

We operate the UHF series as well as the VHF, both with very impressive results, atlthough the UHF have been less prone to interference in high RF traffic areas.

RB

Paul Chun October 13th, 2004 10:34 PM

Wow, didn't know that Lectrosonic is that expensive. While not that cost prohibitive, what would you all recommend as a close second? Sennheiser? I could pick up two Sennheiser setups for the cost of one Lectrosonic, but I guess you have to pay for quality.

Obviously I didn't buy a PD170 only to purchase a junk and cheap wireless unit for bad audio but I'd like to find a happy medium. Any suggestions?

Jeff Donald October 13th, 2004 10:36 PM

Can you be more specific? What is your real budget?

Paul Chun October 13th, 2004 10:40 PM

Well, I don't REALLY have a budget per se, but I can't help but like the prices of the Sennheisers at $600 to $800 or so. If there is no question in everyones mind that Lectrosonic is lightyears ahead of the Sennheisers, then I'll wait to purchase the Lectrosonic. But if the difference is not all that much, then I'd opt for the Sennheisers.

Obviously I want a quality product that is capable of providing good audio without static, drop outs, interference, etc.

Jeff Donald October 13th, 2004 10:49 PM

No doubt in my mind, save for the Lectrosonics.

Paul Chun October 15th, 2004 07:32 PM

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy Lectrosonic?

Jeff Donald October 15th, 2004 08:25 PM

I prefer B & H Photo, one of our sponsors.

Allen Brodsky October 16th, 2004 08:04 AM

Audio-Technica U100

Audio-Technica makes an excellent wireless system in their U100 wireless, in the same price range as the Sennheiser. The mic uses the same type of balanced connector as the Lectronics, which is technically superior to the unbalanced connectors used in other wireless systems. In my experience, reception is crystal clear and no interference.
Not to complicate your decision, but you should look into the AT. It exceeds your spec for "something basic but reliable with good audio," and is within your budget.

Matt Gettemeier October 17th, 2004 12:53 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Chun :

Obviously I want a quality product that is capable of providing good audio without static, drop outs, interference, etc. -->>>

Hey I'd love to know if ANY of you guys posting here can say that you get wireless audio that meets those criteria?

I have times that my wireless works perfectly... but that's mostly limited to ranges under 100' and it also varies by location and content of the shoot. If I wire up a person (or couple people) and they're just doing a walk and talk then I can easily get audio with zero problems... I guess rather then elaborate a whole lot you can check out this link and tell me if this is normal for a wireless in clear line-of-sight, rainy conditions, suburban (low-to-moderate RF interference issues), 60-250' ranges, turning and sudden motion, etc...

CLICK HERE to see what I got by duck-taping a Lectro VHF into my nephew's football pads... Tram out front in a half a cat "ball-cage" with fake fur packed on.

I've played with the G2 and I really liked it a lot... but it wasn't really PUSHED at all. I've also played with the AT and that was a good system also... again it was used in a very calm situation at ranges of 50' and closer... Has anybody else pushed the limits of their wireless rigs a bit? Can you either show us an example or at least give details on the situation and what happened?

Bob Lange January 2nd, 2011 12:41 PM

Wireless kits

Like many I am looking for a wireless kit. I have used Lectrosonics for decades in harsh environments
like the roof of a black pickup truck in mid summer New Mexico desert. Sonys failed, so did other cheap kits.

I'm twisting in the wind because the cost is high for the Lectrosonic kit. Now you know where my head is.

Having said the above, I'm going to "suck it up cowboy", and rent, until I can afford the Lectro kit.
It is soooo worth doing it that way, rather than wasting money on anything else.
Yes even Sennheiser or Sony.

The guys who wrote earlier are right...buy a Lectrosonics...Networks...Military...Indies...love love love 'em.