DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   B&H shows its class (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/34622-b-h-shows-its-class.html)

David Ennis November 7th, 2004 05:41 PM

B&H shows its class

I drove 140 miles down to Manhattan this morning expressly to see and shop at B&H. It's an amazing operation, truly a world class store. They don't need a plug from me--they were mobbed from the opening bell. But I thought I'd just share my experience.

I expressed disappointment to my salesperson that the AT3031s I wanted weren't in stock after my long drive. He phoned up Marty G. (the pro audio buyer, if I have that right) to see how fast I could get them. Marty asked to speak to me. I was surprised to hear him say, "I was expecting you." I had posted my plans here last night, and he reads this board!

He arranged for a drop shipment from Audio Technica of the two mics as well as an AT8202 attenuator they were low on with 2 day delivery at no charge, just as a courtesy.

THANKS MARTY! And extend my thanks to George too, who spent more than an hour helping me assemble my order.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2004 07:26 PM

Marty Wein is a true class act. Kendall, Ray, George, and the other audio gurus are also class acts. A couple years ago, I needed some help with something, Kendall not only helped me from the store, but he also took time out while on his way home from work to call me on his cell.
Glad your experience was similar to mine.

David Ennis November 7th, 2004 07:40 PM

I don't know where I got the "G" from. Sorry, Marty.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2004 07:43 PM

FWIW, "Wein" is an abbreviation anyway. :-)

Bryan Beasleigh November 7th, 2004 11:42 PM

Marty is also a member of this forum. He is indeed a class act.

Everyone i've dealt with at B&H has been great.

Fred
I just know you're going to enjoy your new toyz.

Robert Mann Z. November 8th, 2004 02:51 AM

like a lot of nyc'ers i buy all my gear from bh, tons, in fact if i didn't i could probably put down nice sized downpayment on lake front property...

the audio and lighting guys at bh are truly pro's pros, they know everything about what they sell, and have helped me out out so many times...even if you have a general question and they are not busy go ask them...to me they are the salt of bnh

the main reasons i go to bnh would be to quench my desire for glass for my slr, buy used rangefinders, and as i stated up top get my audio and lighting in check

the lens guys are funny, it has been hit or miss for me, some seem to talk down to me, some take the less wordy approach and say nothing to me, and some seem like there doing me a favor by helping me..it is somewhat of a put off, but i still buy from bnh because they are an honorable outfit

the video guys are split between consumer and pro, my consumer needs are short, i'm always waiting for the pro guyto help out , he is very busy, i don't know his name but no matter how busy it is he is always courteous and helpful...

i'm actual going to bnh tomorrow to pick up a tripod, the tripod guy in the photo dept gave me a great tip on a monopod, so i'm looking foward to see what he says about my choice of a tripod...

David Lau November 8th, 2004 04:13 AM

Lived in NYC for 3 months for work. B and H is the only place to go, I bought most of my latest kit from there. People there are in such a rush cause they are so busy but at the same time are on the ball to deliever the service. I am a guy that does all my research befroe I buy, so all I need is a quick service cause I am always in a rush. 10 out of 10 for the BH guys.

Henry Posner November 8th, 2004 12:11 PM

Thanks to everyone here for your many kind, words. I think Marty may actually be blushing, just a little. :-)

Emre Safak November 8th, 2004 12:25 PM

Is there an AV Web site that Henry does not monitor?! :)

Jesse Bekas November 9th, 2004 11:07 AM

I live in Jersey and go to B&H any time I'm in the city (about once every two weeks), and I know everybody loves them (for good reason), but are there any other or even smaller shops you guys would would recommend either in/around Manhattan, or in New Jersey? I love B&H, but I really like to shop around as well (even for the sake of just checking places/prices out).

Allen Brodsky November 9th, 2004 04:09 PM

Many wedding videographers in the NJ/NY area buy their cameras from Armatos. They can't compete with B&H on price, but the staff is very knowledgeable and has a strong customer-service ethic. Armato's is in Glendale, NY.

James Emory November 9th, 2004 06:40 PM

I flew on a dedicated one day trip to New York from Atlanta back in 2000 just to see the B&H complex and handle the gear before I bought anything. I wasn't too happy to find that they did not have the NLE that I was interested in on display like I was told that they did. But, after looking around and playing with the endless toys on display, I kind of put that thought on hold. The instore staff was great about answering questions and not leaving you unattended. It was an experience to be remembered. I guess it's almost like another must see place, at least for video folks, when visiting New York.

Reid Bailey November 10th, 2004 02:26 PM

I've only done online orders with them but it's always been a great experience.
Great prices, Great service, Great selection time after time...

George Ellis November 10th, 2004 04:12 PM

Tangent - For we old far... dudes, remember the Sears catalog and looking through it? Well, I got a B&H catalog in the mall today! Oh boy!

Christopher C. Murphy November 10th, 2004 04:47 PM

B&H - great experience for me

B&H has been good to me. There is nothing worse than opening a shipped package and having to get on the horn and compain. B&H always gets it right....such a refreshing company.

B&H also has deals sometimes...like $50 and $100 gift certificates. I bought a Sony wirless set for $500 a piece, and they had $100 certificates for BOTH!

Murph

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 10th, 2004 08:38 PM

Hey Henry,
I'll be by to see you tomorrow! I'm here in NYC for the launch of the new Sony HDV cam.

Todd Siechen November 16th, 2004 04:05 AM

Here is another kudos to B&H from the other side of the Country (oregon). I have dropped nealy 10k at B&H over the past few months and don't regret a single cent of it.

The only 1 small nit pick complaint I have about B&H is that I wish it was easier for me to organize my humongous wish list on their web site. 8)

Thanx B&H - You guys are Top Shelf!!

Regards

- todd siechen

Nick Hope November 24th, 2004 02:22 AM

My friend had a not-so-good experience with B&H. Despite specific emailed instructions to the contrary they sold him an out-of-date Amphibico housing for his VX2000. When he complained they said "well it's the same model number". He was kept on the phone (from the UK to the US) and passed around the staff for a couple of hours before he finally got someone who could actually deal with the complaint.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 24th, 2004 10:03 AM

I'd imagine that this board's comments likely would reflect a broader survey of B&H customers. No business can have 100% customer satisfaction, and all companies that use people will make errors from time to time. How they rectify them is a different story.

Nick Hope November 24th, 2004 11:39 AM

It's not that bad. He did get the updated model eventually. But I understand it took some rather strong persuasion.

Jesse Bekas November 24th, 2004 03:18 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : I'd imagine that this board's comments likely would reflect a broader survey of B&H customers. No business can have 100% customer satisfaction, and all companies that use people will make errors from time to time. How they rectify them is a different story. -->>>

No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily.

A lot of younger kid's I know in my film school went there for the first time this semester, and were amazed by the size and the hustle and bustle going on there. It made them feel good for "being a part of it", like shopping there somehow made them more professional, or like it was some right of passage. Now they have a strong positive asscoiation with the pace after just picking up some tape stock, lens filters, etc...Hence a lot of 100% positives over very little service experience.

Again, not directed to posters here, juts some B&H shoppers I know in general.

Bryan Beasleigh December 4th, 2004 10:48 AM

Sorry! but my experience is that B&H always strives for satisfaction and i've had several dealings with them.

"No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily."

I do take offense, your inuendo is based on heresay and not direct experience.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 4th, 2004 11:00 AM

And I'd disagree with Bryan :-) because...

People DO jump on the B&H bandwagon pretty easily, because B&H is a good band and a great wagon to be on. Every business out there has some dissatisfied customers, it's the nature of the beast. You do your best to take care of their needs, and sometimes, it's just not enough no matter what you do. You could offer to walk their dog or babysit, they'd STILL want more. Some people simply live for extracting their pound of flesh in the event of a small or large error, or an imagined slight.

Being in business myself, we bust a$$ to take care of clients and customers. We've got a users group out there who's leader has taken at least 10K in free goods from us and various other manufacturers. But when someone who has given them a ton of free stuff finally says "No" or "why do you need more, we've already donated that to your group," they flip over and now you aren't just a vendor not providing to them, you've become public enemy #1.

There are just people out there who can't be satisfied no matter what you do (or don't do)

I think B&H deals with those kinds of people as far as they can. I've been in an ugly situation with them, back about 5 years ago, and they made it right, and also kindly pointed out to me later that I'd been a jerk. Rereading those old emails, I had been. But they could have just as easily said "Screw off."

Bryan Beasleigh December 4th, 2004 11:36 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what you disagreed with. It sounds like we're on the same page ;-)

heresay is gossip

Jesse Bekas December 4th, 2004 11:56 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : "No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily."

I do take offense, your inuendo is based on heresay and not direct experience. -->>>

My "inuendo" was actually based on the direct experiences I have had with my fellow film students. I think I made that extremely clear in my earlier post, Bryan.

What I said doesn't take away from the fact that B&H is a good store (like I also stated), or that people have had great experiences with them. I said that I knew, from personal experience, that some people that have shopped there, once or twice without having needed sales-rep help, will rave about the place to seem like they're in the know.

You actually have no right to take offense to my statement, and I only said that originally so that somebody wouldn't post a pointless reply accusing me of calling out board members. Obviously my deterring disclaimer didn't serve it's purpose.

David Ennis December 4th, 2004 08:14 PM

I think I'd like to get one more comment in here before this thread gets closed due to controversy ;>)

I emailed B&H customer service a few weeks ago with a complaint about an insignificant detail that I quickly realized wasn't justifed. I heard back from Henry Posner, who calmly explained the store's point of view, then went on to offer me an exchange anyway just to make me happy. When he didn't hear back from me one way or another, he sent me another message expressing concern that I wasn't satisfied. Of course, I wrote back that I was.

...Then, in a separate situation about a week later I was allowed to return a different item about a week beyond the official return period, just on my hunch that the unit was defective. I UPS'd it last Saturday, and recieved the replacement four business days later, on Thursday. Today, without fanfare or explanation, I received a check from B&H. Only after some thought I realized it was a refund of the sales tax I paid at the store in NYC, since the replacement was by mail order! That's B&H.

Robert Mann Z. December 5th, 2004 01:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jesse Bekas :

No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily.-->>>

jesse you got me, it was one of those nights i was alone in the office eating cold chinese, i just wanted to feel part of a group, i just wanted to belong man...can you understand that...

Home...I have no home. Hunted...despised... living like an animal...the jungle is my home! ..But I will show the world that I can be its master...

dont's cheat that line, don't google...

David Ennis December 5th, 2004 09:08 AM

Hey guys and gals,

This is an exceptionally high quality online forum, based upon respect for good information and for each other. Jesse is a colleague who made a stray observation about human nature, not an attack on any member of this forum or its sponsors.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 5th, 2004 09:13 AM

I think we've reached a point that the thread has matured, I also suspect we've hit a point where the difference between reading the written word and reading someone's face when making a statement may be coming into play.