DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Welcome Ty Ford! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/35235-welcome-ty-ford.html)

Harris Ueng November 20th, 2004 12:00 PM

Welcome Ty Ford!

Ty's been a great active resource to the audio side of things over the years. He has freely published detailed equipment reviews on his site. Many of y'all might know him already, but if you don't, he's a well published reviewer who has written articles for Recording, Mix Magazine, and other trade rags.

If you're new to audio, I imagine many of the questions posted here could be answered with his "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide".

Ty, you don't know me, but I've followed many of your posts on rec.audio.pro over the years. Welcome aboard! Always glad to see another giving pro join the community.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 20th, 2004 12:30 PM

Ah! I didn't equate Ty Ford/Recording with Ty Ford I've been having a dialog with.
Welcome to the forums, Ty.

Matt Gettemeier November 21st, 2004 09:55 AM

Wow... I've been away from the forums for a couple weeks and this is a nice surprise! Man these forums just get more and more valuable... The sponsors are probably getting a better deal then they realize... if you could sell stock off this site like other dot-com's did I'd throw my money down!

Ty Ford November 22nd, 2004 09:35 AM

Re: Welcome Ty Ford!

<<<-- Originally posted by Harris Ueng : Ty's been a great active resource to the audio side of things over the years. He has freely published detailed equipment reviews on his site. Many of y'all might know him already, but if you don't, he's a well published reviewer who has written articles for Recording, Mix Magazine, and other trade rags.

If you're new to audio, I imagine many of the questions posted here could be answered with his "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide".

Ty, you don't know me, but I've followed many of your posts on rec.audio.pro over the years. Welcome aboard! Always glad to see another giving pro join the community. -->>>

Hi Harris, Doug (again), and Matt, et al,

Many thanks for your kind comments. As I mentioned elsewhere, recently r.a.p. has become more of a place to argue religion and politics (something my mother once told me was NOT the thing anyone should really do in public. :).

Even though the newsgroup has a charter that says, no OT posting, it gives way to the passion (misguided or otherwise) of some people who want to spot off and then argue childishly with each other. Life's too short.

I have learned SO much about audio from good people on the internet that it's probably impossible for me to pay it back in this lifetime. It's what helps to fuel my continued curiosity.

Right now I'm researching audio loop technology (the sort used by t coils in hearing aids) as part of a church renovation project. Who knew after all these years that I'd keep finding "new" areas of audio technology.

As for the Audio Bootcamp Field Guide, the book came as a response to some seminars I began giving in Washington DC.. They have a pretty active minicam/DVcam community and many were having problems getting good production audio.

After a seminar I gave in January of this year, someone said, "Gee I took notes as you suggested, but do you have this stuff written down somewhere?"

I began writing in February and finished up in August. It's a small, self-published book, but I tried to specifically target what the camera operator would need to know to keep from having problems.

I had several friends who are location audio pros look it over before I ran my first copies. So far it's selling pretty nicely. I'm printing small runs, which raise the cost, but allow me to make changes. I have already added the Australian PIN-MIC to the "Good Gear" list. Are book reviews done on this forum?

This coming year I'll be working on retooling the Advanced Audio Production techniques book I did for Focal in 1993. This time I'll be doing it for me. I got the copyright back last week.

That's all from the" Land Of Pleasant Living", as Baltimore was referred to in old National Beer commercials...and thanks for the warm welcome. If you get to Baltimore, I know where the good restaraunts are.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Matt Gettemeier November 22nd, 2004 08:37 PM

Hey I don't want to pull this off topic but you make a great point on my side of an argument that's popped up in other forums I belong to...

It's a lot harder and more noble to properly moderate a discussion board then to simply imply that you let it run rampant because of 1st ammendment rights and all that crap.

I can appreciate an acre of wild jungle as much as the next guy, but a well-kept garden with respectful visitors is an accomplishment... rather then simply buying and providing a meeting "space". (Somebody else get's the credit for the gist of that analogy... it's been a while.)

DVinfo stands head and shoulders above the other forums because it's grown into a place that's kind to newbies and respectful to professionals... and there's a place for everyone inbetween.

Harris Ueng November 22nd, 2004 11:53 PM

I second Matt's comments about forums/newsgroups. DVInfo dramatically stands out above any other forum I've seen on the net. The level of professionalism and common courtesy here is extremely high. Even when debates get heated, people still keep their heads on and eventually try to part amicably. Ty, you're dead on about r.a.p., I go there with much less frequency now since it's littered with OT threads. It's a shame because there are lots of very knowledgable and talented contributors there, too. Just too much muck to wade through for me.

Again, you're a very welcome addition here. Looking forward to exchanging ideas in the future!

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 23rd, 2004 12:05 AM

OK, now I gotta say something. On the DMN forums, we enjoy a similar atmosphere. We don't tolerate silliness any more than what happens here, except that people aren't required to use their names there like they are here. If I owned the DMN, we'd be doing that, too.
These are GREAT forums, and have GREAT people, and I'm proud to be associated with them. However, there are indeed other very good communities out there that self-police very well.

Ty Ford November 23rd, 2004 07:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : OK, now I gotta say something. On the DMN forums, we enjoy a similar atmosphere. We don't tolerate silliness any more than what happens here, except that people aren't required to use their names there like they are here. If I owned the DMN, we'd be doing that, too.>>>

I am amused by the trend to use "handles" or screen names. Years ago when I got into CB radio...in the 1960s, there weren't handles, we used call signs and names. Call signs because the FCC required it, names because we were talking to each other, sometimes 20-30 miles away and sometimes when the skip was right, hundreds to thousands of miles away.

Anyway, I don't know if the truckers started it, but eventually almost everyone had a handle; sort of an alter ego. Myself included. From behind that alter ego we could say things we'd never say otherwise. I found it useful to adapt a "trucker-like" character so I could talk to them and get the road conditions (cops and traffic) for my 102 mile two-way daily commute between Baltimore and DC.

It's a little different now with screen names. Maybe people are unhappy enough with who they are and feel the need to be someone else.

Apparently my friend George Massenburg is running into the same problem on the forum he's hosting. Some folks there are adamant about using screen names.

I'm not always happy with what I do or say, but I'm happy enough with "me" to not need to be someone else.

Ty

Rob Lohman November 23rd, 2004 07:40 AM

Welcome aboard Ty! It's great to have you with us!

Ty Ford November 23rd, 2004 07:57 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Welcome aboard Ty! It's great to have you with us! -->>>

Rob,

Thanks for the warm welcome. As I spend less time on RAP, I'm reminded of that joke about hitting oneself on the head (in trying to reduce OT CLUTTER) and how much better one feels when one stops.

My head feels a lot better already.

Regards,

Ty

Chris Hurd November 23rd, 2004 04:58 PM

It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here, Ty. Warmest regards,

Ty Ford November 23rd, 2004 05:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here, Ty. Warmest regards, -->>>

Again, to you and the others, thanks for making me feel so welcome.

Regards,

Ty