DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Just bought Audio Technica AT 897 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/36150-just-bought-audio-technica-897-a.html)

Lars Siden December 9th, 2004 01:40 PM

Just bought Audio Technica AT 897

Hi all,

Just ordered it from ebay! I'm so thrilled - having a Canon XM2 gives me great pictures - now I finally have the chance to achieve great sound as well!

Will give a detailed report after testing!

// Lazze \\

Ty Ford December 9th, 2004 02:27 PM

I have one here. Been meaning to compare it to a 416. I think I did a bout a year ago, but can't find those notes. It's a rainy afternoon; maybe now's a good time to reacquaint.

Ty Ford

Dennis Liu December 9th, 2004 05:50 PM

Hi Lars,

I'll be very interested to hear about your results as the AT897 is a microphone at the top of my list right now for future purchases for 'outdoor shotguns'.

Dennis

Lars Siden December 30th, 2004 01:52 PM

Hi All,

FYI -> DHL lost the package from UK -> Sweden. I have talked to them for 2 weeks before they finally admitted to "lost parcel". So I got my money refunded, but no MIC :-(

Don't know if I dare to try one more time. DHL has failed me 2 times in a row now!

I'll see if I can find a Swedish reseller.

// Lazze \\

James Lilly December 30th, 2004 04:52 PM

I also have had nothing but bad luck from DHL and I live here in the US too so they have no excuses. Good luck with finding one and actually getting your hands on it.

Pete Bauer December 30th, 2004 05:10 PM

Lars,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with shipping, but once you get your hands on your AT897, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Will look forward to seeing your tests later.

Dennis,

I bought one earlier this year as my first shotgun mic. For $270, it is a clean sounding mic with pretty good side sound rejection.

I have it mounted on my XL2 in place of the stereo mic that comes with the XL2 (and a Senn G2 lav set up on the other channel).

When I was shopping, I remember reading several posts by those who have used both mics that indicated the AT897 is a much less "hot" mic than the Senn ME66 it is usually compared with, but also supposedly gives a little mellower of a sound (maybe "hotness" and "mellowness" are inversely related indoors?). Not sure which one would win regarding side and rear sound rejection.

Bruce S. Yarock December 30th, 2004 09:43 PM

I bought an 897 6 months ago to use with my gl1, and was really happy with the sound. When I bought the xl2, i chit canned the stereo mic and replaced it with the 897.
One thing that really surprised my was how well it picks up live music ( my background is in songwriting, and recording). I was down at the beach and was practicing with my xl2. There was an Air Force jazz ensemble playing in a band shell at least 30 feet away, and I assumed that the sound would be thin and mediocre. When i got it home I played the footage on the tv and it sounded great. then I played it over my studio monitors,a nd was equally surprised!
The only place that the mic suffers a bit is indoors where there is room reverb. I have a friend who is a pro sound man and he lent me his Sanken cs-3 to try....it sounds great indoors ( but i don't have $1300 for another shotgun).
But all things considered, the 897 is a winner, and I'm glad I went with it instead of the Senn me66.
Bruce Yarock

Dennis Liu December 30th, 2004 10:42 PM

Bruce, that's cool, my next purchase is definitely a shotgun - right now my work is about 80% indoors so I've just ordered the AT3031. When I can I'll be getting the AT897 or if I save up more, the 4073. Sounds like AT products are really solid in the low-mid-mid-higher price range though.

Lars, good luck with that. I've never ordered anything via ebay, the only time I used an online auction was to get my XL1 - I was really fortunate that the person lived locally so I went to his house and picked the camera up, checked everything to make sure there were no problems.

:o)

Dennis

Lars Siden December 31st, 2004 05:13 AM

Thanks for your support!

I'm really angry at DHL right now - the firm in England where I ordered the mic has offered to send a new mic with another courier...will see what I do!

I have also ordered a Canon 20D new digital SLR - so the christmas wallet is quite thin right now :-) Camera will be delivered from Germany NOT BY DHL!

// Lazze \\

Ty Ford January 1st, 2005 08:00 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lars Siden : Thanks for your support!

I'm really angry at DHL right now - the firm in England where I ordered the mic has offered to send a new mic with another courier...will see what I do!

I have also ordered a Canon 20D new digital SLR - so the christmas wallet is quite thin right now :-) Camera will be delivered from Germany NOT BY DHL!

// Lazze \\ -->>>

Lazze, et al,

Found my AT 897 notes. Not as aggressive as a 416 in digging out dialog. Lower by a good bit in sensitivity than the 416. Lower in price by a good bit than the 416.

Smiles,

Ty Ford

Bruce S. Yarock January 1st, 2005 08:08 AM

Ty,
What do you consider the best "all around" shotgun, if I were going to use it on camera ,and sometimes indoors? I really liked the sound and performance of the CS-3, but didn't get to really try it out much.
thanks
Bruce Yarock