DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Basic DAT recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/36185-basic-dat-recorder.html)

Adam Rench December 13th, 2004 07:06 PM

Doesn't look like that page is listed anymore Bryan. I tried a search for the 2496 and that came up with no results either. could you give me more of a description of it?

Thanks.

Bryan Beasleigh December 13th, 2004 08:15 PM

This is the M-Audio site

Another try at B&H It's $98.95 at B&H

Adam Rench December 14th, 2004 05:58 PM

Joshua,

What kind of digital output does the 3700 have? Is it a coaxial?

Joshua Starnes December 14th, 2004 06:15 PM

It's defintely got a digital coaxial out. I believe it also has an optical out as well, but I can't remember for sure.

Adam Rench December 14th, 2004 06:25 PM

OK cool. I have an extra coaxial cable from when I had my coaxial audio out for my DVD player. $$ saved already!

I'm anxious to get it and try it out! So basically, I just record onto this the Digital Tape then output it to my sound card on my computer right?

What format does it export as?

I will be getting Digidesign's Pro Tools LE for my audio program so I'm sure I'll be able to input it using that.

Joshua Starnes December 15th, 2004 06:22 PM

It doesn't export as any particular format. That will be entirely decided by whatever program you use to inport the sound with. It's like inportting DV to your NLE. You can inport it into whatever file format you want, which your computer will support. The information on the tape is digital, but unlike a solid state recorder or harddrive recorder, there are no files - just the information.

Ty Ford December 15th, 2004 07:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Culbert Rench : My camera is on backorder so I haven't had time to test out the audio quality. However, the FX1 has no XLR inputs so I would have to buy the Beachtek adapter. That's find, but the adapter costs 165 bucks.

If I can get a used DAT recorder for less than that, I could have the sound guy not have to be stuck up next to the camera man. Know what I mean? -->>>

No. Why would the sound guy be next to the cameraman?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford December 15th, 2004 07:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joshua Starnes : It's defintely got a digital coaxial out. I believe it also has an optical out as well, but I can't remember for sure. -->>>

If it's like my 3900, it has coax and AES/EU, but no optical. Therea are various coax to optical SPDIF converters if you need optical.

REGARDS,

Ty Ford

Joshua Starnes December 15th, 2004 09:36 PM

If I can get a used DAT recorder for less than that, I could have the sound guy not have to be stuck up next to the camera man. Know what I mean?

No. Why would the sound guy be next to the cameraman?

I can tell you from my personal experience on some micro-budget DV productions, there was one recently where - and I'll be the first to admit that our audio department was really as jury-rigged as anything else in the movie, that was our motto - we had our mixer and this tiny little chord to go from the mixer to the camera (and for a couple of different reasons not being able to get a longer chord and not wanting to basically daisy chain a lot of little chords together) so wherever the camera went, so did I. No one really liked it, but that was what we got stuck with.

So, I can see how, working in the microbudget arena that Culbert seems to be in, he could really easily find himself in that situation, cause I've been there.

Adam Rench December 15th, 2004 11:21 PM

Thanks Joshua. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I wanted to get a decent product out of what I'm spending and a DAT recorder (now after reading) seems to be exactly what I'm needing at this point.

This will give the sound guy his own territory. I'm going to buy him a 100' foot XLR cable too!

As as a side note, the DAT 3700 I got from ebay... well the guy through in 10 124 minute tapes, and a sony DAT cleaner tape! I gave the guy great feedback. All that for 66 bucks and 20 shipping. Not too shabby!!

I'm looking at picking up that M-audio sound card now. If that's how I will end up bringing in the audio then that's not too bad of a price at $99.

HA, the only thing is that 3700 is a big ole' sucker!! I'm gonna have to get a cart or something to carry all of my gear now. That's ok though, having something that technical looking may impress my inexperienced cast and crew :)

Adam Rench December 17th, 2004 12:32 PM

Could this item act as a tool to capture the audio from the Panny 3700?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?body=/products/mbox/