DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Beginner & speaker-sound card ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/37753-audio-beginner-speaker-sound-card.html)

Mike Favazza January 13th, 2005 11:48 PM

Audio Beginner & speaker-sound card ?

What kind of speakers--active or passive--can I use with a Sounblaster Audigy2 card? Can I put Behringer Truth 2031 speakers or M-Audio BX5 speakers on the Soundblaster card.
Or do I need a special sound card for the Behringer or M-Audio pairs? Please give me a few matched options from which to choose. Price matters a lot, unfortunately! Thanks in advance, all you audiophiles and mixmasters...

Dennis Liu January 14th, 2005 02:13 PM

Hi Mike, I hae the M-Audio BX5's - they're good. I think active speakers are easier to set up and move around (to different computers).

As for sound card, I think it'd work, however the Creative soundcards aren't ideal for music listening or monitoring - I have the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, which I think is the most basic card they offer.

Dennis

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 14th, 2005 02:19 PM

You don't need any matched options, the sound card you have will more or less suffice. Keep in mind that Creative has to resample everything it's doing due to locked audio at 48k.
Personally, I like the M-Audio products better, and they're a strong company to deal with. I'm not keen on Behringer for both personal and professional reasons. M-Audio is owned by Avid, FWIW.

In terms of a sound card, look at either Echo or M-Audio for best result.
You don't want passive speaks no matter what, it's not only a more challenging experience in that you'll not find a good amplifier on a budget, but you'll also be dealing with twice as many cables and more hassle in the end. The amplifiers built into the active systems are generally pretty well balanced to the system.

Mike Favazza January 14th, 2005 03:50 PM

Thanks, Dennis and Spotted Eagle!
I really appreciate your knowledge and experience.
I'm gonna get by with the Soundblaster card for awhile and then get the M-Audio card and speakers...
You guys are a wonderful resource !!!

Jimmy McKenzie January 14th, 2005 03:59 PM

No argument from this camp. My m-audio delta with it's 1/4 inch i/o is just rock solid.

Without prying into the personal reasons for Douglas' preferences, I must report that the mic gain pots on my Behringer 20 track mixer are suspicously weak in construction... but we all know the value of quality... and vice versa.

Jimmy.

Matt Gettemeier January 14th, 2005 06:02 PM

I really like M-Audio products, but my current favorite is the DMX 6fire.

I've got an audigy2 and I wouldn't say it's a bad card... I've done some pretty clean recordings with it, but if I could do it over again I'd get the Terratec... Since it's only $199... and I STILL use the audigy2, you can tell I'm reasonably satisfied with Creative... for now.