DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   External Monitor Preview with Sound Forge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/38388-external-monitor-preview-sound-forge.html)

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2005 07:46 PM

External Monitor Preview with Sound Forge

I have Vegas video, a JVC Production monitor, and a Canopus converter card to preview my video to the production monitor. The setup works fine in Vegas, but I do not know how to preview the video out to my production monitor through the Sound Forge Demo. The menu option that Sound Forge is telling me to use, is simply not there:

1. From the Options menu, choose Preferences, and then select the Video tab.

2. From the External monitor device drop-down list, choose the IEEE-1394 interface to which your DV device is connected. You can click the Properties button to view and adjust settings for the selected device.

It is #2 which I do not see as an option. I do not see a "External monitor device drop-down list." Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 26th, 2005 08:23 PM

Which version of Forge do you have? In 7, it's in Prefs, Video, and at the bottom, you select the External Monitor Device, and select 1394.

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2005 08:53 PM

I have the Sound Forge Audio Studio 7.0 demo, and for some reason, in the Video-Tab menu, I still do not see this option. Maybe it's not active in the demo.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 26th, 2005 09:06 PM

Could be...I've never run the demo, so I can't comment. It would surprise me though. YOu don't even SEE the option?

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2005 09:20 PM

After going to Options and Preferences, and then clicking on the Video Tab, I only see a check box for “Resample Source Video,” a Deinterlace method pulldown menu for Blend fields or Interpolate, a check box for “Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV,” and a pulldown menu for either Frame Numbers or Media Time Code. The only other options on this Video Tab menu are “OK, Cancel, and Apply.”

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 26th, 2005 09:56 PM

Just dawned on me, you are looking at the "Studio" product, not Sound Forge 7. This version doesn't have external preview.

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2005 11:17 PM

Yeah, that was exactly the reason, thanks. That option is only in the non-Studio version.

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2005 11:30 PM

By the way, what is the difference between the Studio version, and the regular version?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 26th, 2005 11:32 PM

Many, many things. First and foremost, external video monitoring. :-)
Another big diff is plugin capability, there is no limit to the number of plugs, DX or otherwise that work in Sound Forge. Much greater toolset, and overall a faster application to work in. You can draw sounds out, repair most anything, it's a true mastering application.