DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Marantz 670 question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/39406-marantz-670-question.html)

Jeremiah Hall February 13th, 2005 08:03 PM

Marantz 670 question

I have been looking at the Marantz 670s, something to replace a dead Sony DAT recorder. I was wondering if the people here who have one or have worked with one had any comments about them, good and bad.

I've done a search of previous posts, but most of them had to do with price and said very little about the performace of the unit. I'll be using this for recording dialogue and sfx.

Also, does anyone know if it will plug into a Mac for file transfer, or is it strictly pc? The literature at the Marantz website only mentioned Windows, but that had to do with software drivers.

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremiah Hall

Marty Wein February 13th, 2005 08:47 PM

I hope you will get some feedback on quality performance. However I will comment on the Mac/PC question. To my knowledge, if you use a USB/FireWire card reader it will work just fine with the Mac.

Marty Wein February 13th, 2005 08:50 PM

while you are researching the PMD-670, you should also consider the new PMD-660 due out end of Feb beginning of Mar.

Dennis Liu February 14th, 2005 04:04 AM

I have the PMD-670. No problems, 100% recommended.

However as far as I can see, the PMD-660 seems like the exact same thing as the 670 except smaller. Hmm, and it has some sort of editing system too. Sounds like a really good deal.

Dennis

Rob Dunford February 15th, 2005 04:10 PM

670 comments

Not having one of these but did consider one I found a very helpful site where the 670 is discussed - http://www.oade.com/
the owner Doug does mods on these recorders and his comments were pretty honest, it seems that the mic inputs are noisy compared to other recorders, but the line in are fine. They do mods to improve the situation, but it doesn't make the 670 perfect.
I bought the Fostex FR2 instead because Doug reckoned the mic input preamp had much better specs.
So what is the answer...probably compared to the Sony portable DAT ( I have one too) the 670 is as good or better, but if real quality and some future proofing is desired take a look at the FR2 or even the Edirol R4.
At least the 670 has XLR inputs, phantom power and such good stuff.
Sorry if this sounds negative. When I was looking for a recorder I really considered the 670 even though I knew it would be mainly used after a mixer, but I felt that if the mixer failed at least the the FR2 that would not compromise the takes.
Rob Dunford
UK

Jose di Cani February 23rd, 2005 11:42 AM

Yep,

but the edirol 4/fostex 4 is about 1,300- 1.500 dollars range. The marantxz 660 is 499 dollars. And if you got a pc, you can always lean up the sound. And Maranz is known for its great sound so you won't be fooled by them. I don't think the noise level will bother you cause I read the specs and they are low as the rest.

Shannon Rawls February 23rd, 2005 11:59 AM

I don't think the Edirol R-4 is going to sell well. Reason being, is it does have 4 tracks to record simultaneously, but the price is DOUBLE! hell, if that's the case, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have TWO Marantz PMD-670's then a single R-4. That way, I can loan/rent one out while using one on a project that only requires 2 tracks. If it's not out on loan/rent, then I have a PERFECT backup unit in the event one goes down. If the progect requires 4 tracks, then I have.....I mean, do I really need to explain?? ALL FOR THE SAME PRICE??? it's a no-brainer and I'm sure you see the advantage.

Now if the Edirol R-4 had TIMCODE functionality, even at that price...it would....be the.....machine to buy in 2005 for on-location sound pros. If the Edirol R-4 was the same price as the Marantz PMD-670...it would....be the.....machine to buy in 2005 for on-location sound indie users & musicians and singers and ENG people, etc...

Alas, the R-4 don't have timecode, and costs too much. Therefore, The Marantz, as far as I am concerned IS THE MAN!

- Shannon W. Rawls

Jose di Cani February 25th, 2005 12:32 PM

you are the man. You have enough with 2 tracks......1 track for the real take and one if things mess up just in case or>> track1 for vocals and track 2 for ambience.

I prefer the marantz.