DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mic for Interiors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/39697-mic-interiors.html)

Keith Kline February 17th, 2005 09:46 PM

Mic for Interiors

Hi. This is my first post in the audio section. I've been posting for some time in the alternative imaging section while working on my mini 35. I'm gearing up to shoot a short film in a few weeks and I have some mic questions.

I'm was originally looking at the Azden (forget the model) mic that's about $150. I've seen less than glowing reviews around here so i thought the AT 897 would be a better choice and still in my budget. My problem is alot of the shoot will be interiors. I know there are better mics for interiors than the 897, but is it possible? I mean will I be able to get good audio or will I just end up with more problems. I already have a 10' boom and XLR BP Pro adapter, just need the mic now.

If i got the AT897 that about maxes out my current budget for audio. So if i got that is there any cheap solutions for interiors that anyone can think of?

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 17th, 2005 09:59 PM

Well....shotguns ain't the best choice for good interiors, but if you gotta have one, the 897 is one of the best in the affordable range that you'll find.
My fave for indoors is the 4053, but there are others that can cut it. It's a fairly expensive mic unless you're serious about what you're doing. Rode' has a couple good ones, look at the NT3 for instance.

Keith Kline February 17th, 2005 10:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been doing some looking through back post on the site. I was wondering what the going opinion on the Oktava mics for interiors? I was thinking if I can scrape up enough cash maybe picking one up and getting the AT897 for exteriors? Could anyone tell me the difference between the MC012 and the MK012. I was looking online and found both models, but i'm not sure which would be better for dialogue?

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 17th, 2005 10:54 PM

My experiences with the Oktava are extremely limited, so that one will have to come from someone who owns one.

Jay Massengill February 18th, 2005 09:15 AM

I don't think there is any difference in the Oktava models with slightly different lettering.
These mics perform well if you get a good one. The easiest way to do this is to buy from a dealer that tests them, like The Sound Room. The hypercardioid capsule is the one you want for interior dialogue. You also must use good wind and shock protection for an Oktava even for indoor situations. Since it's such a small mic, getting good wind and shock protection cheaply isn't so easy.
The AT897 will work if your locations aren't reverberent.
The AT873r will work if you don't need a super quiet mic.
The Rode NT3 will work if your boom op is very strong.
The 4053a will work if you have the money.
The AKG Blue Line amp (SE300b) and the hypercardioid capsule will work if you can find a dealer with a good price.

Michael Wisniewski February 18th, 2005 09:45 AM

I agree with Jay on the AT897 and the NT3. I own both and I always choose the NT3 indoors if I can.

Keith Kline February 18th, 2005 12:08 PM

Okay found a place locally that carries the Oktava Mk012 for $100. I think they might even make a deal on a pair of them. Who knows. Then I just need to pick up the hyper cap or two if i got two. That's another $50-$100. Not too bad I guess.

My question with the Octava's is they are phantom powered mics corrent? So I would need a mixer to something to supply the power right? I have an XLR BP Pro adapter, but it's non powered. Is there anything else that would work other than a mixer to provide power?

Jay Massengill February 18th, 2005 01:51 PM

Yes, the Oktava's require full 48-volt phantom power. You can use a mixer to supply phantom power, you can buy a battery-powered phantom supply like those from Stewart or Deneke, or you can replace your unpowered adapter with a BeachTek DXA-6.

Keith Kline February 18th, 2005 07:40 PM

One Last question

okay so let's say I get the Oktava mic with the hyper cap for interiors. I was just going over the shot breakdowns and we only have exterior 1 scene (with dialogue) and one exterior shot in another (without dialogue). Do you think it would be possible to get away with the Oktava for tha one scene or would it be too much of a pain. Problem is the shoot is in a few weeks and in addition to shooting it I was just put in charge of puting the audio gear together and it'll be coming out of my pocket. I would have the hypercartaloid and the regular cartaloid caps. So my question is do you guys think I could get away with the Oktava for that scene or would it be a big problem?

That way I can save some cash and pick up the AT897 this spring for the shoots sceduled for this summer.

Thanks everyone for all the information. you've been a big help with me getting this put together.

Ty Ford February 19th, 2005 08:54 AM

That's why the popcorn costs so much. :)

You'll probably be ble to get away with using it outside. The oktava is VERY sensitive to wind. Budget for a good windbreaker. ..and the word is hypercardioid.

Good Luck,

Ty Ford

Jay Massengill February 19th, 2005 12:22 PM

It will depend on the location (ambient noise), number and placement of talent and how you plan to shoot it. You might be ok, you might not.
If possible do a realistic test once you get the mic and (one more time) the very important wind and shock protection for your Oktava. I certainly don't think you'd be totally sunk, although you might have to alter the way you want to shoot it for best audio results.