DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Ssssssssssss (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/40694-ssssssssssss.html)

Dave Largent March 8th, 2005 06:20 AM

Ssssssssssss

I recently posted about doing voice over with
a shotgun, and how one woman popped the
mic with her breath.
Well, a different woman also used the mic,
and the trouble here is her S's were
quite pronounced, to the point that it
is almost a distraction to the message
she is giving with her spoken word.
Is there anything that can be done in
post to help out here?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 8th, 2005 07:13 AM

Pop filter may help, if you're using a shotgun or large diaphragm, you can put a pipe cleaner in front of the mic, about an inch away, dead center.
Or, you can angle the mic differently from the corner of her mouth.

Dave Largent March 8th, 2005 11:54 AM

What do you mean by "pipe cleaner"? And I've
heard of a "de-esser". Is that something related
to this problem?

John Sandel March 8th, 2005 12:33 PM

A pipe cleaner's a 5- or 6-inch length of two twisted metal wires, fringed with short fuzz, meant to clean out the stem of a pipe. As in smoking (tobacco or whatever). They sell 'em at craft stores.

Am I the only one who suddenly feels like an old fart?

Ignacio Rodriguez March 8th, 2005 12:47 PM

A de-esser is very interesting tool, available as a hardware-based processor, usually part of a compressor-expander product, or as software algorithm in the form of a plug-in that can run inside an audio editing application program. The Waves de-esser is very good. They are often together with an equalizer to can increase high-frequency harmonics in a voice without saturating with sibilance from consonants. You can hear good de-essing and high frequency enhancement when you hear Norah Jones or similar pop vocals.

However de-essers are expensive and tricky to set up. Try playing around with the mic position to find one where the esses are less noticeable before delving into processing. You can also use a parametric equalizer to find the center of the "s" frequency and attenuate it a little bit, enough to keep the esses from going over the top without taking away too much sparkle.

Also, ask her to be careful. Trained vocalists know how to "de-ess" themselves. Make sure she has adequate monitoring through headphones so she can tell when her esses are too loud.

Patrick King March 8th, 2005 01:46 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Pop filter may help, if you're using a shotgun or large diaphragm, you can put a pipe cleaner in front of the mic, about an inch away, dead center.
Or, you can angle the mic differently from the corner of her mouth. -->>>

DSE, I'm not doubting you that a pipe cleaner will help, but can you expound on that. What does it do and how would you put it and inch away dead center from the mike? Does it run parallel or perpendicular to the shotgun. I know you'll know the wave-form theory that makes it work but can you dumb it down a little so I can understand it.

And how come the more complex we get, there always seems to be some lore that does what all the high-tech stuff does, only better? DSE, your experience, and others like you, is invaluable to this community thanks for the continuing education (do you validate Continuing Education Credits?).

Ty Ford March 10th, 2005 05:28 PM

Re: Ssssssssssss

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : I recently posted about doing voice over with
a shotgun, and how one woman popped the
mic with her breath.
Well, a different woman also used the mic,
and the trouble here is her S's were
quite pronounced, to the point that it
is almost a distraction to the message
she is giving with her spoken word.
Is there anything that can be done in
post to help out here? -->>>

For short sections, if you are using as nonlinear system with good controls, you can go in and reduce the volume on the overly sibilant sections by 6-8 db and that is usually enough.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jimmy McKenzie March 10th, 2005 05:45 PM

The sibilance control method is the best noted here. Proper monitoring headphones and the semi-pro will re-read the sentance. Pros with many years of experience will notice the "false-teeth-whistle" even without headphones and repeat the sentance immediately. So what does this mean for un-skilled voicers? The recording tech needs very good headphones and a special knack for directing the talent.

Perhaps experience will help you in your quest for recording voice, but to do this in post is certainly closing the gate after the horses have left the corral. The recording tech has to intervene at the time of recording.

Patrick King March 10th, 2005 05:56 PM

Pipe-Cleaner?

I would still like to know about the pipe-cleaner trick.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 10th, 2005 07:17 PM

You can always get away with doing the old pencil trick. Tape a pencil straight up in front of the diaphragm. It splits the air flow thus reduing pops. The cost of a pencil and tape.
A pipe cleaner does exactly the same thing, but some folks like em' in front of the diaphragm, and it can be used more easily on a shotgun than a pencil can, given the diameter of the barrel.