DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   pls exlpain purpose of XLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/40990-pls-exlpain-purpose-xlr.html)

Mike Sakovski March 12th, 2005 07:48 AM

pls exlpain purpose of XLR

Can i plug in both mike and line into the XLR and have my camera record both at the same time? Like an on-board mike and a wireless setup, will that work and would i need to set each channel to mono explicitly or XLR/camera sets em to mono automatically?
i guess i sound really stupid but i honestly tried my hardest to find the answers on the net and so far have been unseccessful.

thank u all for ur help

David Ennis March 12th, 2005 08:40 AM

You don't sound stupid--you need information and you asked for it.

The key to XLR is XLR cable, which uses three conductors not to carry a stereo signal, but instead to carry a mono audio signal in a manner that protects it from electromagnetic noise in the environment as it is routed from device to device. XLR devices are simply devices that utilize or enable the use of XLR cable.

An XLR adaptor for a camcorder normally has two XLR inputs and a 1/8" stereo mini plug output that plugs into the camcorder's mic jack. Yes, you can connect two separate mono sources to an XLR adaptor, and with many adaptors either one can be a mic or line level signal. One signal is recorded in the left stereo channel and the the other in the right. If you have only one input signal, it can optionally be applied to both channels. If you have a stereo source (e.g., stereo mic or two lines from a mixer) that source would use the two connections.

Unfortunately, you can't use the on-board mic at the same time as an external source with any camcorder that I know of. There may be exceptions, but plugging anything into the external mic jack normally cuts of the internal mic.

Jimmy McKenzie March 12th, 2005 09:28 AM

With respect to the question of simultaneous recording of the on-board along with connected sources, it would help to know what camera you are working with. Canon XL series of cameras were designed with this audio combination in mind when operating in 12 bit mode.

Mike Sakovski March 12th, 2005 09:30 AM

Fred,

thank you very much for the explaining, u put it really clear, i appreciate it.
Actually when i said on-boad mike i meant external on-board mike and you completely answered that question.
So basically an XLR being what it is additionally serves as an audio mixer as well, allowing more than one signal to be recorded.
Once again, thank you very much

Mike Sakovski March 12th, 2005 09:32 AM

Jimmy
im thinking low-end like Pana DVC30. Pana sells complimentary XLR adptor for that camera.

Jacques Mersereau March 12th, 2005 09:21 PM

A couple of things here.

From what I know in reference to XLR connections, the XL2
and what you can and cannot do with them . . .

You cannot send a +4db line level signal into the XL2 without some kind
of signal attenuation device. Usually a -20db pad will do the trick, but without it
you'll get distortion.

Although I have not done it, I believe you might be able to also take the
on board XL2 mic & record that to 2 of the 4 channels of audio and then
use an external source or two to record to the other two channels . . .
but only at 12 bit for all four channels. I am sure someone else
will correct me if I am mistaken.

THe DVX-100a has the ability to use only on side of its on board stereo mic
(either side)
and take an external mic or line level signal input to the other channel
and record both.

Bryan Beasleigh March 13th, 2005 04:35 AM

Looking at the question another way we use XLR cables in variety of uses. They're robust and they lock. An XLR cable can be wired balanced or unbalanced. it can also be used for power feeds.

Line and mic is actually a signal level and the signal level a camera will accept differs between brands and models.

Read Jay Rose's site and you'll get a better idea. Buy his book and you'll have a reference.

balanced audio

Attenuation