DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   My Final Post on Audio Equipment! (hopefully) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/41342-my-final-post-audio-equipment-hopefully.html)

Chris Wright March 17th, 2005 08:23 PM

My Final Post on Audio Equipment! (hopefully)

I have started a good number of threads here trying to figure out what the best mic setup would be for me to shoot weddings and other events. Below is the final list of what I've decided to buy... please let me know if you have any final suggestions:

($369.95) Beachtek DXA-8 XLR Adapter
($043.50) Audio-Technica AT8202 Attenuator (for line level inputs)
($599.95) Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless Lav + Plug-on Transmitter
($168.95) Audio-Technica AT3031 Cardioid Mic
($049.95) Audio-Technica AT8415 Shock Mount
($009.95) Audio-Technica 3760057 Camera Shoe Mount Adapter
($017.49) 1.5ft XLR Male -> Female cable (right angled)
($049.95) Mighty-Wondercam Mini Rover

Grand Total: $1,309.69 + Shipping

I think this setup will do me just fine for the first few shoots I have scheduled, and after that I'll look into buying a better mic such as the Sanken CS-1 or the AT4073a and some sort of on-camera light (Frezzi Micro-Fill or NRG Varalux Pro).

Well thanks again for everyone's help. I'd greatly appreciate any last minute comments on whether or not I'm buying the best equipment for the money.

Chris

Bob Costa March 17th, 2005 10:51 PM

I don't know that mic, but is the receiver included? I see transmitter netioned, but....

Also, for weddings, you better have a backup wireless set.

Chris Wright March 18th, 2005 06:45 AM

Here's the link to the wireless kit...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=324229&is=REG
Everything is included... transmitter, receiver, plug-on transmitter, lav mic, cables

I won't have a backup wireless set for awhile, but my next wedding (in May) will be at my church where they have a good sound system. They will have all of the audio (including a mic on the pastor) feeding into my back camera while the AT3031 and Senn G2 (on the groom) will feed into my front camera. I think I'll be covered just fine

quick question... i just noticed that the only apparent difference between the $599 Senn G2 package and the $849 package is that the more expensive one has a plug-on transmitter that can supply phantom power, while the cheaper one can only be used with dynamic mics. Do you think I'll ever regret getting the cheaper one?

Matt Gettemeier March 18th, 2005 08:08 AM

Your list looks pretty good but I'd trade the 8415 shockmount for a K-Tek KSSM with soft bands (make sure B&H knows about the soft bands or else get it from Trew)... that mount will run $59 more, but you'll love it for life... and it is EFFECTIVE.

All else looks good to me though.

Chris Wright March 18th, 2005 10:29 AM

Thanks for the input. When I search for K-Tek KSSM at B&H, the only thing I find is this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=323324&is=REG

It says its designed for the Sanken CS-1 and is meant for boom pole use. That doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Can you send me a link to the correct item?

Also, I was going to order online, rather than by phone. So, how would I make sure I get the model with the soft bands? Do I need to do this over the phone?

Thanks again

EDIT: after more searching, I found this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=326967&is=REG

Is that what you were talking about? It seems like a good option, but does it only mount to hot shoes? I thought the AT8415 w/adapter would be good because it would let me use it on a boom pole as well if needed.

Jay Massengill March 18th, 2005 03:34 PM

The first K-Tek link, for the boom pole version, is similar in function to the AT8415. You'd use the same shoe adapter to attach it to your bracket or camera.
You should also get some better wind protection, even for indoors. There are thicker foam screens than the very thin one that comes with the mic. You can add a small furry cover over these thicker foam screens when you need to shoot outdoors.

Chris Wright March 18th, 2005 05:16 PM

Thanks Jay,
Are you recommending that I go with the first K-Tek Shock mount and get the adapter for the camera? This is pretty expensive... but if it's the best way to go I may get it. Also, this particular mount seems rather large in the picture... and I'd still have to add the adapter. Do you think this shock mount puts the mic too far above the camera?

Also, the AT3031 mic is mainly for indoor use only, but occasionally outdoor shots. However, since it is much shorter than most shotguns (about half the length of the AT897 if I remember right) will it look awkward mounted on camera with a mount such as the K-Tek?

Lastly, could you please recommend some specific models of windscreens that fit this particular mic?

Thanks,
Chris

Pete Wilie March 18th, 2005 05:45 PM

The AT8415 Works Well

I have recently purchased the AT8415 shockmount with camera shoe adapter, and I like it very much so far.

I have used it on a GL2 and a JVC DV-500, and it works very well on both. I did not hear any camera noise what-so-ever. It can accommodate a wide range of mic diameters and can be easily tilted and panned in any direction. The shoe adapter is very good, providing a lock for both the shockmount and the camera shoe. It only adds about an inch to the height.

The AT8415 will work well for both camera mount and boom mount -- or any standard mic mount for that matter.

It's not clear to me what the advantage of the K-Tek is -- but then I don't have one to compare.

Matt Gettemeier March 18th, 2005 10:16 PM

I understand your escalating costs for an audio kit... you may as well get the AT shockmount... I'm sure it works well.

Chris Wright March 18th, 2005 10:57 PM

Thanks Matt, I think that's what I'll do... I'm not sure that I can justify the extra cost for the K-Tek at this point.

The only other item that I'm not entirely sure about is the AT3031. I'm hoping that it will serve as a good replacement to the GL2's mic and produce good ambient sound indoors and camera mounted on the AT8415. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has the same setup, or at least some reassurance that I picked the right mic (without spending) more than $200.

Also, are there any other little things I'll need that I may not be thinking about now? Such as... misc cables, adapters, brackets, etc? Please let me know if there's anything else I should add to the list.

Thanks again,
Everyone's been a big help

David Ennis March 19th, 2005 07:48 AM

Chris, I bought two AT8415's for my 3031's when I went on a shopping trip to the B&H store in NYC. On the salespersons recommendation I got them with K-Tek suspenders for an additional cost of $20 each. He had some concern about slippage in the simple rubber bands that come with the stock AT8415. Here's the link for an 8415/K-Tek kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=300643&is=REG

Chris Wright March 19th, 2005 08:05 AM

Great, thanks. I can make that work.

Do the AT3031's work well for you when mounted on camera with this mount? Is there any handling noise? Does it pick up better sound than the GL2's mic?

David Ennis March 19th, 2005 10:22 AM

I don't have a camera shoe adaptor and have never mounted my mics on the camera. I just did a little test holding the AT3031/AT8415 assembly in my hand with some deliberate brushing and tapping.

What I find is that at normal recording levels the 8415 with K-Tek suspenders does a pretty good but not perfect job of insulating the mic from brushes and light taps on the 8415 bracket. What you hear is nowhere near what you hear when the same brushing or tapping is applied to the mic body directly, but some of the noise does come through. Of course, this is a severe test when compared to the brushing and adjustment noises that I would expect to be mechanically conducted up from the camera body. And there was no ambient noise to cover those sounds when I did the test. I think that any noises from handling or adjusting the camera will be easily and completely covered by the sound that you record at your events.

However, the vulnerablity to brushes and taps on the XLR cable is much higher, because it is connected directly to the mic. Those sounds would be audible. You will need to position that cable away from inadvertent brushes and probably tape it to the camera body.

Marco Leavitt March 19th, 2005 01:38 PM

I use the AT8415 on camera all the time, and haven't seen the need for the K-Tek suspenders. I'm sure they would help dampen the sound more, but as mentioned, noise traveling up the cable is by far the bigger problem. I usually tape the cable down to the camera handle firmly. You definitely don't want the cable flopping around.

Pete Wilie March 19th, 2005 02:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Fred Retread : Chris, I bought two AT8415's for my 3031's when I went on a shopping trip to the B&H store in NYC. On the salespersons recommendation I got them with K-Tek suspenders for an additional cost of $20 each. He had some concern about slippage in the simple rubber bands that come with the stock AT8415. -->>>

If you are concerned about the AT8415 securing the mic sufficiently, you can overlap the top and bottom bands, pulling the bottom above the top band, then inserting the mic through this opening. If you do this front and rear, the mic is very secure.

Looks like to me that if your mic doesn't exactly fit the K-Tek suspenders, it will either be too loose, or you won't be able to insert the mic.