DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   stupid newbie question here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/42150-stupid-newbie-question-here.html)

Joe Main March 31st, 2005 04:38 PM

stupid newbie question here

sorry for this simple question, but what exactly will i need to mount and power a me64 to a z1 camera? I am going to be buying in a few days. Thanks

Marco Leavitt March 31st, 2005 07:30 PM

The ME64 needs a power module, either one with an internal battery (K6) or phantom power only (K6p). Most people get the K6 because it's more versatile. Can't help you with your other questions.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2005 10:21 AM

Also tell us more about what you intend to shoot and what led you to pick the ME64. It's good for some things, not for others. There may be alternatives depending on what you're doing.
Especially with an ME64 you'll need a better shockmount and a way to mount it further from the camera body for best results.
Good wind protection will be very important too.

Joe Main April 1st, 2005 10:27 AM

i am filming mostly indoors. I have heard it would be a better on camera mic then the 66 for indoor shoots. Is this true?

Marco Leavitt April 1st, 2005 10:48 AM

I would definitely take the ME64 over the ME66 in that situation. It has more sound rejection from the rear, so you'll get less operator noise. It will also do better in interiors, and is a lot smaller. You'd want the ME66 for anything outside.

Graeme Fullick April 1st, 2005 04:17 PM

Marco and Jay,

I also have this mic/camera combination (will soon own a Z1 - already have the ME64) and was just wondering whether you might suggest the best wind protection/mount. I have been looking at a lightwave miniscreen - does anyone have any experience with this? Also lightwave make an "improved mount" that attaches to the PD170 (and might work well on the Z1) - does anyone have any experience with this. I currently have a PSC shockmount, but would like to change to a side offset mic holder.

WIth regard to an outdoors mic, how do you rate the Sanken CS1?

Any help is appreciated.

Graeme

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2005 04:18 PM

Joe, The ME64 will still pick up a lot of camera noise like the zoom motor unless you move it further away with a bracket and shockmount. Mounting it separately from the camera would be even better, especially if this is being staged as opposed to run and gun style shooting.
I would pick the ME64 over the ME66, but there are other mics I'd pick over the ME64. This is especially true if you can keep the mic separate from the camera on a boom stand.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2005 04:24 PM

Graeme, the Lightwave products are good but it's my understanding they are being phased out after they were absorbed by Rycote. I'm not trying to push you away from them, they just might be in short supply.
The CS-1 is considered to be an excellent mic, but it's usually used indoors. It could certainly work for you depending on what you want to capture.

Graeme Fullick April 1st, 2005 04:54 PM

Thanks Jay,

DIdn't know about the Rycote lightwave merger.

Marco Leavitt April 1st, 2005 07:21 PM

I have it in an AT8415 shockmount mounted in a minirover, so that may be why I don't hear any camera noise. Even mounted in the camera's hotshoe the camera noise isn't excessive, but obviously the most you can minimize it the better. In this instance, I expect there's going to always be music and other noises in the background that would cover it up. ;-)