DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Any contestant for the Wendt X2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/44694-any-contestant-wendt-x2.html)

David Lach May 16th, 2005 08:58 PM

Any contestant for the Wendt X2?

I'm ready to go ahead and buy this mixer but would like to hear from the ones that know a bit more about it than I do. Not much info can be found on it in terms of reviews and unbiased comments either here or anywhere else on the web.

But it does look like a nice piece of equipment and I just want to make sure I didn't overlook anything important when doing the selection. This will mainly be used for run and gun event/corporate videography (no wedding) and a bit of scripted stuff. Mostly one-man operated.

Closest contestant that I found was the Mix-Pre but it lacks a very essential feature for me which is mic/line for both in/out. Any other interesting choice in this price range?

Essential features for me are:

- excellent limiter
- mic and line on both input/output
- very small form factor
- 48v PP

Deciding features when everything else is equal:

- useful meters
- as noiseless as possible
- low cut filters
- built quality

The only thing I don't like about the X2 on paper is the pan switches instead of knobs, but I figured I could live with this since it's only 2 inputs. But of course, the paper specs don't tell the whole story, that's why I'm posting this.

BTW, if it matters (and I assume it does), this will mainly be used with a Canon XL2, which only has mic-in XLRs, the line-ins are RCA. So I'll be feeding the camera through its XLR mic inputs while trying to keep its pre-amp as low as possible. And I'm hoping the mixer will outlast the camera.

Thanks for any input.

David Lach May 18th, 2005 12:23 AM

Anybody?

Am I on the right track?

If any of you had an even remotely close encounter with the X2 I'd really appreciate some feedback (as well as any other comments regarding it's use with an XL2).

Lee Faulkner May 18th, 2005 07:40 PM

Hi David!

My first post here...

I have 5 Wendt X2 mixers in our facility which have been lent out 7 days per week for over 4 years to students with very little experience. They have performed well, with never a single fault...so I know they are tough!

I think they meet all your needs with a couple of exceptions...

1: the X2 only has mic level ins (0,10,20dB pads) no Line level. If you need those I recommend a 40dB in line pad or perhaps look at the new X3 with 3 inputs al mic/line.

2: limiter: I've never used it...wouldn't use it...nor let my students use it. I'm sure they do though and I've nevr heard it kick in...so..probably OK.

3: The meters are OK but only start at -20....a bit high for me. Needs one or 2 more LED's. But useable.

The Headphone out is great...lots of level into Sony MDR75's. The Mic pre's are clean and quiet for location work. Nice camera tape return, mic/line outs for feeding camera or wireless connect. We use XL1s's and they work nicely if the X2 tone is lined up at about -20 on the XL1 (XL-1 ins padded down too).

Phantom power is good, battery life excellent (6 x AA). Pot controls smooth and easy to nudge woth one hand if you are booming too!

I spent 15 years with shure FP mixers and a couple of higher end models. These seem fine to me...and yes I've used them on 'real' shoots not just foisted them on students.

Your Panning switch concern is something that's never bothered me. Fine knob based panning on location is not something I'd like to commit to. If your unsure, pan hard and fiddle in post. Besides there's only 2 inputs so your panning options are limited!

I've heard some nice things about the new low cost PS (I think) field mixers but we've stuck with the Wendt.

For good advice call Location Sound and talk to Doug Marcum. They know their stuff and can advise well on new product I might not know about.

http://www.locationsound.com

Field audio is all they do...

Good luck with your choice.

Lee

Lee Faulkner May 18th, 2005 07:42 PM

PS David

Get a decent mic (ie $500 for a true condeser design Audio Technica, Sennheiser, AKG short shotguns are all good)....It makes *all* the difference.

I'm not joking either, it's crucial.

Lee

David Lach May 18th, 2005 10:18 PM

Thanks a bunch Lee this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. And since this is your first post, I'll add a warm welcome aboard!

Darn you're right about only mic ins. I don't know why I thought there were line ins too. Hmmm... Probably because I looked at both X2 and X3 specs and the X3 has them, so I guess I wrongly assumed. Bummer.

Well now that I know the X2 doesn't have line-ins, the Mix-Pre is back on the list I guess. When will it end? (rethorical question).

Ideally you wouldn't want to use the limiter I agree. But in my case, as I shoot video in a run-and-gun fashion as well as monitor sound, I cannot constantly be watching for peaking, so I need a fail-safe device that will help me avoid catastrophic results.

I don't worry too much about pan switches like I said, no big deal for 2 inputs, but I can see where it would start to become a problem (although not critical) with 3 or 4 inputs.

As for the mics, I presently have a couple of Sennheiser G2 wireless lavs, a MKH416, an Oktava MK012 (with omni, hyper and cardioid capsules) and soon to be added an MKH50. I'm no longer worried about mics. I've bought myself peace of mind on that side. Only need that perfect field mixer to extract their full potential.

Thanks for the link. I think I'll contact them. Sound isn't my field of expertise, I'm mostly a videographer, so I prefer getting the bottom line from pros.

Thanks for your help Lee.