DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Any way to phantom power ME-2 lav without cutting the wires? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/46603-any-way-phantom-power-me-2-lav-without-cutting-wires.html)

Dave Largent June 22nd, 2005 03:35 AM

Any way to phantom power ME-2 lav without cutting the wires?

This is the lav that comes with the Sennheiser
G2 wireless system, with a locking 1/8"
miniplug. Any adapter that could be purchased
to plug the ME-2 into a mixer with 48V phantom
and have the mixer power the mic?
i think the answer is no but ...

Guy Bruner June 22nd, 2005 07:16 AM

Dave,
You might want to take a look at the Giant Squid battery box. http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...atterybox.html

Vic Owen June 22nd, 2005 02:32 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to plug my ME-2 lav into a mini-to-XLR adapter and run it into my MixPre. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work....am I missing something?

Dave Largent June 22nd, 2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Owen
I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to plug my ME-2 lav into a mini-to-XLR adapter and run it into my MixPre. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work....am I missing something?

Well, that mic needs phantom power and I don't
think phantom will flow over a miniplug.

Vic Owen June 22nd, 2005 10:22 PM

Since the mic needs phantom power, it normally must be provided by the SK-100 transmitter, via the mini-jack. Electrically, the mini-plug should pass the phantom voltage regardless from where it comes. My guess is that, as long as an XLR-to-mini jack adapter is wired correctly, it should work just fine.

I haven't had a chance to play around with the Senn evo G2 kit yet, so there might be some other problem I'm not aware of.....

Cheers

Dave Largent June 23rd, 2005 01:49 AM

I think it would have to be an adapter for
a locking miniplug. I don't think that mic will
plug in to a regular miniplug socket all the way
because the locking nut on it prevents complete
insertion.
I haven't seen any adapters around that would
allow you to go locking female miniplug to XLR.

Vic Owen June 23rd, 2005 09:23 AM

I'll check it out when I get home -- I have several 3.5mm jacks lying around the bench. If necessary, the locking jacks shouldn't be that difficult to find.

My intent is to run either a pair of lavs (or some other mics) from 2 podiums into my MixPre and then route the padded-down output into the Senn SK-100. This should eliminate the need to have 2 wireless systems on the XL-1.

Stephanie Wilson June 23rd, 2005 06:16 PM

Phantom power for wireless

Dear Dave,

I don't know of any way to power a wireless MIC by cutting wires or powering it through the mixer. But powering the mic through the mixer and then to the camera by phantom power is very do-able. You can purchase a mini to female XLR cable which will provide power from your mixer to your wireless receiver. Juice should run through your mini with no problem. I bought my adaptor cable at www.northernsound.net for $48. The solution to your phantom issue is to open up the battery compartment of your mixer and find the tiny little switch that is next to each of the 3 labeled inputs. One position says +48v. Switch any or all of your inputs to that and your mixer will provide phantom power to any or all of those.

Also, you can run an on-board receiver on phantom power without a mixer if your camera has a +48v option on it's audio input selection. The camera battery provides the power to the transmittor.

Much luck,
Stephanie

Vic Owen June 23rd, 2005 10:42 PM

Dave--

I checked the ME-2 plug in a couple of my 3.5mm jacks -- they worked OK. You were correct in the useable plug length being shorter due to the locking ring; however, the ring screwed onto the threads on the jack just fine. I made up a mini-to-XLR and it worked OK. You just need to insure that you have some threads available on the jack. If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's lots cheaper than the commercial devices.

Dave Largent June 24th, 2005 07:46 AM

Vic, I was just experimenting with pushing the
ME-2 miniplug in part way, rather than fully,
and found that you can get a recording with it
part way, but it sounds different from being
fully plugged in. I did this test using the Senn
wireless transmitter. Just hope you are getting
it plugged in all the way. Never have tried using the
ME-2 with a non-threaded jack.

Stephanie Wilson June 25th, 2005 01:39 AM

There is a reason the mic sounds "different" when you don't plug the ME-2 mini plug all the way in. If you look at the connector you should see two lines etched into the plug. The first is mono and the second is stereo. As a result if you only push it in to the first line (half-way) you will only hear a mono signal, but if you push it past the second etched line you will hear a stereo signal.

Good luck,

Stephanie

Ty Ford June 25th, 2005 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanie Wilson
There is a reason the mic sounds "different" when you don't plug the ME-2 mini plug all the way in. If you look at the connector you should see two lines etched into the plug. The first is mono and the second is stereo. As a result if you only push it in to the first line (half-way) you will only hear a mono signal, but if you push it past the second etched line you will hear a stereo signal.

Good luck,

Stephanie

The ME-2 is an omni mic. It is not a stereo mic.

If you plug a mono mic into an unbalancced stereo input, you will frequently get "something" but it's not right. Technically, you end up with the positive peaks on one channnel and the negative peaks on the other. It won't sound very good in post if it sounds at all.

I cover a bunch of "audio connection plumbing" stuff in my book.

BTW, if you have a broadband connection, I has recently uploaded a tutorial on mic choices. It's an MP4. Look for it by going to my site, click on On Line Arcive in column #2, click on video folder.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Dave Largent June 27th, 2005 03:15 AM

I found out that the ME-2 doesen't even need
phantom power, atleast the usual 9-48V, to
work. I hooked the ME-2 up to a minidisc
(which probably supplies about 3 volts) and
it worked better than the lav I had been using
with the minidisc. The hookup of the
locking Sennheiser to the MD required a
cheap Radio Shack adapter to get a secure
connection.