DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Beachtek for Sony Sr11 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/466764-beachtek-sony-sr11.html)

Shahzad Mian October 29th, 2009 12:40 PM

Beachtek for Sony Sr11

Hi, i want to buy a beachtek adapter for my camera to have boom pole feature for my audio. i have azden sgm 1x shotgun microphone which i attach on top of my sony sr11 uptill now. i am starting a college drama soon for which i need a boom pole feature for my audio. can u plz suggest me which specific beachtek adapter will do the job for me? second question is dat would the azden shotgun mic be enough for recording audio for my shoot which will be mostly outdoor with 2-3 characters saying their dialogues etc?

the azden mic dont require phantom power and sony cam have stereo mic input.

Steve House October 29th, 2009 01:39 PM

The DXA-2s would work fine although I personally favour the JuicedLink active adapters over Beachtek. As to whether the shotgun would "adequate," that will depend a lot on the skill of the person using the boom in following the dialog with the microphone and in how close they're able to get to the scene. Remember a shotgun does not magnify sound, it only isolates it. The mic still has to be close to the subject for optimum results - 2 feet or so is usually best.

Mario Vermunt October 29th, 2009 03:02 PM

One big disadvantage of the SR11 is that it has automatic recording level only. So in quiet passages sensitivity will go up and you will probably hear a lot of hiss. The next sound will likely be distorted in the first second or so.

I would spend the money for a beachtek (or equivalent solution) on a camera with manual recording level.

Jay Massengill October 29th, 2009 03:13 PM

It will also depend on the sensitivity of your camera's mic input since most of the BeachTeck devices are passive.
In a related but different example, I recently received a Canon HF11 camera with an 1/8" stereo mic input and manual audio level control.
I'm feeding it with an original version of the BeachTek DXA-6 (with phantom on 1 channel but no additional gain). I'm feeding the BeachTek with an original version of the SoundDevices MixPre. My original MixPre has impedence balanced outputs but the signal is carried on Pin 2 only of each XLR output connector. Therefore the BeachTek's line level to mic level attenuator switches aren't fully dropping the signal down to low mic level, it's a hot mic level instead.
By setting the HF11's manual audio control down to about one-third of the indicator that has no scale, I've been able to get very clean audio with low noise and no overdriven peaks for normal conversations using a variety of lavalier, boom and boundary layer mics attached to the MixPre.
I haven't yet tried using mics directly connected to the BeachTek, set to mic level inputs, so I'll soon be trying the same situation as the original poster is asking but with my camera having the advantage of manual audio control.

Allan Black October 29th, 2009 05:24 PM

IMO JuicedLink mixer/adaptors sound better than Beachtek.

Cheers.

Shahzad Mian October 31st, 2009 11:13 AM

at B&H the beachtek DXA-2S is at 179$ while the DXA-4P is at 149$. which one should i buy and wats with the S and P stuff.

Beachtek | DXA-4P Audio Adapter for GL2 | DXA-4P | B&H Photo
Beachtek | DXA-2S - Dual XLR Universal Microphone | DXA-2S | B&H

Shahzad Mian November 10th, 2009 02:14 PM

??????
????
??
?

Marco Leavitt November 10th, 2009 03:48 PM

"wats with the S and P stuff"

Good question. Both products look functionally identical to me. At the Beachtek Web site they specify that the DX4-P differs from the DX4 in that it is optimized somehow for Canon camcorders, as opposed to Sony. I have no idea how. So why the DXA-2? I have no idea. Maybe it's just for people who prefer the inputs on the front instead of on the side.

Jay Massengill November 10th, 2009 04:19 PM

If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a difference in how the grounding scheme of the "S" and "P" boxes worked, in order to have less potential for hum depending on the specific camera brand and its electrical system.
I've only owned a DXA-6 but have connected it to a number of different camera brands.
The ground switch should be checked with each installation. There will usually be a hum in one position and quiet in the other position. I don't remember if the other BeachTek's had a ground switch, but with the DXA-6 it was pretty important to check it every time even within the same brand of camera.

Shahzad Mian November 11th, 2009 06:49 AM

i really need an answer to this as i dont wana buy it and then ship it to Pakistan and find it not suitable for my cam. so please anybody out there who have any info, plz help !!

Hans Ledel November 11th, 2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt (Post 1439896)
One big disadvantage of the SR11 is that it has automatic recording level only. So in quiet passages sensitivity will go up and you will probably hear a lot of hiss. The next sound will likely be distorted in the first second or so.

I would spend the money for a beachtek (or equivalent solution) on a camera with manual recording level.

If you put the mic. level to "LOW", then you donīt get that hissing in quiet passages.
The manual says that in LOW it records the sound "natural"

One thing to remember is that if you set it to LOW it will revert back to NORMAL the next day.

Every time I go out to shoot i always set the mic level to LOW (because it has reverted back to normal) and get "natural" sound

Cheers

Hans

Shahzad Mian November 11th, 2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Ledel (Post 1445682)
If you put the mic. level to "LOW", then you donīt get that hissing in quiet passages.
The manual says that in LOW it records the sound "natural"

One thing to remember is that if you set it to LOW it will revert back to NORMAL the next day.

Every time I go out to shoot i always set the mic level to LOW (because it has reverted back to normal) and get "natural" sound

Cheers

Hans

Do u make it set to LOW with a shotgun mic or with the inbuilt mic. my azden sgm 1x is a hot mic and records sound louder then normal so setting the sr11 to Low will make it normal and remove the hiss ?

By the way the main question regarding which beachtek adapter to buy still remains un-answered !!

Hans Ledel November 11th, 2009 11:43 AM

I have used both the internal and a shotgun mic "röde videomic"

If you use the LOW settings you wonīt have any hissing regardless of external mic or internal.

Iīm sorry i canīt help you about the Beachtek

Cheers

Hans

Shahzad Mian November 11th, 2009 02:31 PM

alright guys i just had a contact with the beachtek customer support person and asked him which adapter of beachtek to buy for sony sr11 and he replied with this,

"The DXA-4 is designed for the full sixed Sony VX and FX series of camcorders. The DXA-4P is for the Canon GL2. The DXA-2s Compact Adapter is for all other camcorders"

also bhphotovideo.com representative suggested to buy DXA-2s. so i am going for that particular model. hope this small info helps for some of u and thanx to those who replied to my original post.