DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mixer input to lectrosonics transmitter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/467172-mixer-input-lectrosonics-transmitter.html)

Bill Petropoulos November 5th, 2009 11:39 AM

Mixer input to lectrosonics transmitter?

I have a lectrosonics 100 series wireless system with the LMa transmitter.

When covering live events, I want to be able to input a signal from the house mixer into my transmitter for sending to my camera.

The transmitter has a TA5 connector.

Can the LMa take a line input without damage?

Can anyone tell me if this cable will do what I need with good results?

Remote Audio | XLR Female to TA5F 18" Line | CALECXL3/5L

Thanks.

Bill Davis November 5th, 2009 11:54 AM

Yes, that will work fine.

Understand, tho, that the line level signal will be hot. The pad in the transmitter should have no problems attenuating the signal at the transmitter mic input, but you'd want to ALWAYS start with the transmitter pack input at ZERO gain and bring it up slowly and slightly until it's lights are indicating a proper input signal level. If you just unplug the mic input and plug in a line input, you'll likely be overloading the input circuit severely.

Good luck

Bill Petropoulos November 5th, 2009 12:09 PM

Should I use a pad to be safe?

Like this?: Audio-Technica | AT8202 In-Line Attenuator | AT8202 | B&H Photo

Rick Reineke November 5th, 2009 01:48 PM

Lectro makes XLR to TA5 cables (different pin config. on the transmitter) for inputing line level.
A line to mic pad will work though with the normal Lectro mic level cable. Normally about 50dB of attenuation for knocking down +4dB to mic level.

Warren Kawamoto November 5th, 2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 1443145)
Yes, that will work fine.

Understand, tho, that the line level signal will be hot. The pad in the transmitter should have no problems attenuating the signal at the transmitter mic input, but you'd want to ALWAYS start with the transmitter pack input at ZERO gain and bring it up slowly and slightly until it's lights are indicating a proper input signal level. If you just unplug the mic input and plug in a line input, you'll likely be overloading the input circuit severely.

Good luck

If I remember correctly, the line level cable is wired differently, it's already attenuated so no pad is necessary. I've swapped mic and line cables without having to adjust gain on the transmitter at all. Just remember which one is designated for line, and which one is mic. I colored my line level cable red. My mic level cable is black.

Andy Turrett November 5th, 2009 05:48 PM

Actually a line level is too strong for a Lectro Transmitter. You need to either use a pad or you can rewire the TA5 connector and then the Transmitter can handle line level. The proper line level wiring for the TA5 connector is on the lectro website.

Andy