DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Basic audio cable/adapter advice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468417-basic-audio-cable-adapter-advice.html)

Tim Ribich November 26th, 2009 09:26 AM

Basic audio cable/adapter advice?

Starting to put together from scratch a basic recording package w/ a Canon A1 & Rode NTG-3. Also anticipate working with other videographer(s) on certain projects and would appreciate some audio cabling/adapter suggestions.

Don't need to go crazy but would like to have a good base with respect to # and length of XLR cables, adapters, and whatever which one might expect to come in handy over time.

With PC cabling for example I always have certain gizmos on hand that might get used rarely, but that can save a lot of aggravation in situations where you do have a use for them.

Any items come to mind that you don't leave home without?

Tim

Seth Bloombaum November 26th, 2009 12:03 PM

25' seems to be a good working length of cable, generally.
Also some shorties - but usually, this will be for cabling up a specific piece of equipment, and you'll want to get a specific cable at the same time you get the eq. But, a 6' and a 3' can be handy to have around.

Better have a couple 50' or a 100'.

Gaff tape. Paper tape, aka. board tape, art tape.

Velcro cable wraps. Some stuck to the outside of your audio bag to hang cables there.

A headphone extension cable.

If you work with pro audio for video equipment exclusively, and you're providing it, it's surprising how few adaptors you need. Some mixers require TA3 (mini-xlr) connectors - you'd buy cables or adaptors if you get such a mixer. Be sure they're included if you rent such a mixer.

A way to hold your microphone/microphones unattended is a good thing. Shop carefully for a standard tripod mic stand. K&M has a 2-stage stand with extendable boom that's good for this. And, a "boom boy" adaptor that allows you to attach your boom to a c-stand.

Extra clips and windscreens for all lavs. Check out the Rycote undercovers, over covers, stickies, all their little bits that make lavs easier to handle.

Unlubricated condoms, for when you just have to put out a mic in incredibly nasty weather. (you wouldn't think a mic would work inside a condom, but it does...) A plastic garbage bag to throw over everything is a cheap and small piece of insurance.

The 3.5mm F to 1/4" stereo M adaptor that came with your headphones.

A pair of earplug-style earbuds for use in high-noise environments.

A good hat.

If you *ever* need, or forsee the need, to connect in to an existing sound system for event videography, there are specific pieces of kit to handle this. Generally, a direct box aka. DI is good for converting a high-impedance RCA or 1/4" output to balanced mic level. For a balanced 1/4" TRS output, you'll need a shortie TRS-XLRM. Then you'll need that 100' cable...

A line-to-mic inline pad can be handy, as can the versions that switch the level of pad.

I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff, but people will chime in...

Tim Ribich November 27th, 2009 09:45 PM

That's very helpful Seth-- thanks much. Some of these things I have, some are on my "to do" list and others I never would have thought of-- until I realized (too late) I should have!

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1452600)
25' seems to be a good working length of cable, generally.
Also some shorties - but usually, this will be for cabling up a specific piece of equipment, and you'll want to get a specific cable at the same time you get the eq. But, a 6' and a 3' can be handy to have around.

Better have a couple 50' or a 100'.

Gaff tape. Paper tape, aka. board tape, art tape.

Velcro cable wraps. Some stuck to the outside of your audio bag to hang cables there.

A headphone extension cable.

If you work with pro audio for video equipment exclusively, and you're providing it, it's surprising how few adaptors you need. Some mixers require TA3 (mini-xlr) connectors - you'd buy cables or adaptors if you get such a mixer. Be sure they're included if you rent such a mixer.

A way to hold your microphone/microphones unattended is a good thing. Shop carefully for a standard tripod mic stand. K&M has a 2-stage stand with extendable boom that's good for this. And, a "boom boy" adaptor that allows you to attach your boom to a c-stand.

Extra clips and windscreens for all lavs. Check out the Rycote undercovers, over covers, stickies, all their little bits that make lavs easier to handle.

Unlubricated condoms, for when you just have to put out a mic in incredibly nasty weather. (you wouldn't think a mic would work inside a condom, but it does...) A plastic garbage bag to throw over everything is a cheap and small piece of insurance.

The 3.5mm F to 1/4" stereo M adaptor that came with your headphones.

A pair of earplug-style earbuds for use in high-noise environments.

A good hat.

If you *ever* need, or forsee the need, to connect in to an existing sound system for event videography, there are specific pieces of kit to handle this. Generally, a direct box aka. DI is good for converting a high-impedance RCA or 1/4" output to balanced mic level. For a balanced 1/4" TRS output, you'll need a shortie TRS-XLRM. Then you'll need that 100' cable...

A line-to-mic inline pad can be handy, as can the versions that switch the level of pad.

John Harrison November 28th, 2009 02:53 PM

The inline xlr barrel with 3 attenuation switches can really be a saver for padding up/down signals is very useful as is 2 xlr to Jack mono and 2 xlr to jack stereo. (have both as depending on the input it may cause hum), jack to mini jack connector, and the DI box (I have 2 behringers) ..... , spare headphones, and you can never have enough XLR (make your own its easy).... apart from that I agree with Seth except in Ireland a rustle free raincoat is farmore important than the hat.... and a multitool

Tim Ribich November 30th, 2009 02:41 PM

Dyi xlr

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Harrison (Post 1453291)
... and you can never have enough XLR (make your own its easy

That's interesting-- I wasn't aware of this possibility. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

Tim Ribich November 30th, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1452600)

Do you think "kits" like this are worthwhile, or better to go ala carte?

TecNec Cables & Connectors TecNec Exclusive Performers Emergency Audio Adapter Kit Adapter & Connector Kits at Markertek.com

Dean Sensui December 1st, 2009 04:37 AM

If you're bringing a hat, don't forget sunscreen.

Allan Black December 1st, 2009 01:59 PM

Stocking stuffer ...

Koala Sun Hat

Seasons greetings .. Cheers.

Allan Black December 1st, 2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ribich (Post 1454276)

Not really, they usually contain very cheap things that break and you'll never use.
As you go along, over time you'll build up a kit of useful items. Cheers.

Tim Ribich December 1st, 2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1454659)
Stocking stuffer ...

Koala Sun Hat

Seasons greetings .. Cheers.

Hi Alan,

I've heard of this "sun" object you speak of. Unfortunately, it only seems to be making an appearance VERY rarely these parts now for way too many months...

But hey, I guess all the more reason I may need protection in the unlikely it every does reappear!