DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Pro Tools Recording Studio Make Music Now Studio for recording? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468529-pro-tools-recording-studio-make-music-now-studio-recording.html)

Thomas Moore November 28th, 2009 09:08 PM

Pro Tools Recording Studio Make Music Now Studio for recording?

Question: Can I use this, Pro Tools Recording Studio

Amazon.com: Pro Tools Recording Studio Make Music Now Studio: Musical Instruments

to connect to soundboards etc. and record in a format that I can in turn import into Vegas 9 to sync up with video footage?

David W. Jones November 29th, 2009 05:53 AM

The interface is a little lacking, you will not want to use this for feeds from soundboards.

Rick Reineke November 29th, 2009 11:09 AM

You would be able to import the individual sound files (.wav, .aif or whatever) but not with the timeline EDL. In other words you would have to sync the files manually, i.e., guitar, bass, keys, kick, snare, ect, ect, ect. If every file ran from begining to end, this is not a big deal, but inserts would be a pain.
Some PTs versions can export OMF and AAF files, but Vegas can not import OMF (at least not w/o an expensive third party converter) Importing other application's AAFs into Vegas are problematic to say the least.

That said, Why don't you just get a multi-channel soundcard and use Vegas for your audio recording needs? Vegas has significantly more tracks and audio capabilities than the basic PT/M-Audio package your looking at. You could easily take a feed or multiple feeds from a mixer and record directly into Vegas. As many as your soundcard/PC can handle.

Gary Nattrass November 29th, 2009 12:24 PM

To do video on Pro Tools you really need a firewire based interface and the DV toolkit which gives you OMF import and timecode suitable for audio for video post.

I have the older 002 console and version 8 with the DV toolkit and it allows me to do pro audio dubbing on material from my final cut pro suite.

There is a pic at the bottom of this page:HD Production - EDITING

Thomas Moore November 29th, 2009 01:55 PM

Thanks for the responses, maybe I should have been a little more specific...

I'm looking for a portable soulution so something that I can use with a Laptop connected then in turn to a soundboard or other sources at events, shows etc. I do have Vegas loaded on the laptop so could in theory record to that but what would then in turn be a good interface?

Thanks!

Gary Nattrass November 29th, 2009 07:37 PM

I also have an M-box 2 for location recording with a macbook pro but I still also have the DV toolkit 2 so that it is all done with video in mind.

OK $99 will get you the entry level interface and software but you will soon hit problems with trying to integrate it for video work, especially with edit systems that are not designed for integrating with external audio, that is why Avid and Final cut Pro are the most used pro systems as the interface with pro tools and other pro audio editors.

As the ad says "make MUSIC now"! To try and then do higher end audio location recording or post for video is another matter if you want to do it efficiently.

You may be better recording straight to vegas and there are loads of better quality interfaces than this one, but will vegas allow you to record all of what you want to do? it may be far easier to record to the camera with a back-up of a simple edirol type flash recorder for the board mix.

I have done live gigs where I just take the camera mic as guide audio and then record the main performance to a mini disc recorder for re-syncing in FCP, bear in mind though that I have over 30 years experience in audio post so I know what I am doing and this may not be easy to anyone without my extensive knowledge.

Jon Fairhurst November 29th, 2009 08:15 PM

We've recorded live music into Vegas for a multi-camera shoot. We didn't record many channels, so we just used the mouse to control recording levels.

Just about any audio interface will do. Of course, more money generally buys the better box. We used a PCI card interface in our desktop PC. If you have Firewire in the laptop, use that. Otherwise, you're probably looking at USB-2.0.

I'd recommend keeping the mix simple. Record at 24-bits with a clean card and leave enough headroom to never clip. Save the critical mixing for post. Hopefully, you can test things during a sound check. If not, a USB controller would be helpful, since that would let you control the recording levels quickly on many channels in parallel.

Anyway, Pro Tools isn't required. You can stick with Vegas and spend your money on a good interface, mics, cables, and stands. Getting components that are Pro Tools compatible isn't a bad idea though...

Eric Bakko November 30th, 2009 05:13 PM

Protools is not required and can stick with Vegas.

Protools world is a totally different expensive ball game. That interface may only be suitable for minimal audio work and may need add ons to do any serious work.

Thomas Moore December 1st, 2009 08:42 AM

Thanks, so any recomendations on just a firewire interface ~300.00 that would integrate then with Vegas?

Steve House December 1st, 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks, so any recomendations on just a firewire interface ~300.00 that would integrate then with Vegas?
I use the Echo Audiofire, have both an 8 and a 12 channel unit. They also make 2 and 4 channel versions. Note that they are best when fed with an external mixer.

Thomas Moore December 1st, 2009 06:13 PM

What kind of Mixer should you use? Do you need one for each channel?

Does this thing come with the universal adaptors or do you need to buy them?

Steve House December 3rd, 2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

What kind of Mixer should you use? Do you need one for each channel?
You don't need a separate mixer for each channel but you need a mixer output channel for each channel that you want to record simultaneously. The Echo units have a mix of mic and line inputs. The mic inputs have a trim control for recording levels but the line inputs do not and you need a mixer or other device upstream to be able to set and adjust the signal levels while recording.

For my desk I have a Mackie 1642 feeding the AudioFire 12. The Mackie has 10 mic/line inputs and 4 stereo, the first 8 of which have direct outs that I've connected to the AudioFire inputs 1 through 8. I can take up to 8 mic or line signal sources and record them as separate channels. I also have two of the mixers aux outs going to the AudioFire channel 9 and 10 and the mixer's mains go to channels 11 and 12. With this arrangement I can set up a variety of mixes and iso channels using the mixer's routings. It's easy to repatch the cables slightly and move some of the direct outs over to the mixer's submix channels instead if I want to do it that way.

For the field, I have the AudioFire 8 and a Sound Devices 442 mixer. It also offers a variety of setup options depending on the recording needs, allowing me to configure it to record up to 8 tracks, either individually as mono or paired for stereo.

Quote:

does this thing come with the universal adaptors or do you need to buy them?
I don't understand your question; what adapters are you talking about here?