DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Does the Zoom H4n recharge ni-mh batteries with the power adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468655-does-zoom-h4n-recharge-ni-mh-batteries-power-adapter.html)

Sam Young November 30th, 2009 04:09 PM

Does the Zoom H4n recharge ni-mh batteries with the power adapter?

Hello folks,

I just received my h4n in the mail, I put some energizer 2500mah batteries in there and plugged in the power adapter, but after a while the battery bar hasn't moved a pinch. I know the instructions says it will not charge the batteries, however I have read else where on the internet by users that it will.

Does it work for you?

Thanks!

Eric Darling November 30th, 2009 07:25 PM

No, it doesn't have this function.

Nate Morse November 30th, 2009 07:33 PM

Actually, it has been my experience that the H4n does recharge the batteries. Be sure to change the battery type from alkaline to ni-mh in the settings menu for it to work.

Peter Damo November 30th, 2009 07:53 PM

Who would have thought? Handy tip if it works.

Sam Young November 30th, 2009 08:00 PM

I have switched it to the Nimh on the menu when I first tried to charge it, however it is still at one bar after two hours. Will charge it overnight to see what happens, maybe it is super duper super slow.

So charging does work for you Nate?

Thank you guys for the input.

Sam

Nate Morse November 30th, 2009 10:33 PM

I'll test it out again tonight, but I thought it did charge. Not sure how long it takes, though.

Nate Morse December 1st, 2009 10:15 AM

I left the unit plugged in overnight and my batteries went from zero bars to two. So, I think it does charge them. It just doesn't do a very good job. Fresh batteries from my charger showed three bars in the H4n.

Sam Young December 1st, 2009 09:41 PM

Thanks Nate for the update, I appreciate it. I left mine overnight plus half a day and it is still at 1 bar. I guess it won't work for me! So your nimh isn't registered as full on the H4n even though it is supposed to be full from the charger?

Nate Morse December 2nd, 2009 12:06 AM

Fresh from the charger the batteries registered as full (three bars). But after turning it off for twenty minutes and then back on, I only saw two bars. I think the battery indicator might be a little off for nimh batteries because I rarely see them as full unless they came straight from the charger. Alkalines seem to register fine.

As for recharging using the H4n, did you have the unit turned on? I had it plugged in and turned on all night. I think the batteries came close to full charge but don't have any equipment to verify that for sure.

Sam Young December 2nd, 2009 07:32 AM

Ahh, I left the unit off. I will turn the unit on and leave it charging. Thank you again Nate for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

Sam Young December 2nd, 2009 08:18 AM

It is charging with the unit turned on! At two bars now, thank you Nate! Have a good one.