DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wired Lav mics and the Shure MX185 Cardoid or Shure MX184 Condenser (Supercardoid) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468985-wired-lav-mics-shure-mx185-cardoid-shure-mx184-condenser-supercardoid.html)

Bryan Daugherty December 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

Wired Lav mics and the Shure MX185 Cardoid or Shure MX184 Condenser (Supercardoid)

Audiophiles, I could use your assistance. I am in the market for a wired lav mic in the sub-$200 (US) range and have been looking at the Shure MX185 - Cardioid Wired Lavalier Microphone | B&H and the Shure MX184 - Supercardioid Wired Lavalier mic | B&H mics at B&H. I will be using these for on camera interviewing and training video voiceovers. Do you guys have any experience with or thoughts on these mics? Are there are wired lavs I should be considering in the sub-$200 price range (more sub the better, without sacrificing quality, of course)? Your input is greatly appreciated as I need to place the order early this week. Thanks!

Jon Fairhurst December 5th, 2009 04:02 PM

Personally, I prefer omni lavs. They vary less when the talent moves their head.

Given that, I'd not pick the supercardioid.

I recently bought an AT899. It's a bit large, and not terribly sensitive, but sounds good.

Allan Black December 5th, 2009 04:11 PM

I agree with with Jon .. omni. We're very happy with Sony ECM77s, a bit more pricey tho.

For interviewing you'd need something else besides a lav. Cheers.

Bryan Daugherty December 5th, 2009 09:33 PM

I have had good experience interviewing with my wireless lavs but I know interference and dropouts are an issue at this location from the last time I filmed there so I figured wired was a better option. What do you recommend other than lavs, and are there any omni mics you recommend in the sub-$200 range? Thanks!

Rick Reineke December 7th, 2009 11:42 AM

I would recommend an Omni unless you will be working with a sound system, in that case a caridoid would be less prone to feedback.
For under $200, the AT-899 is good.

Jon remarked: "I recently bought an AT899. It's a bit large, and not terribly sensitive, but sounds good"
A bit large?? ... compared to a B6 maybe.
I've never had an issue with the sensitivity using it with Lectros or G2s.

I'm not particularly fond of the somewhat stiff cable though.

Jon Fairhurst December 7th, 2009 12:11 PM

Oops. My mistake.

I bought the AT803b, which is a bit large. The AT899 is tiny.

The AT803b is cheaper and sounds fuller than the AT899. You pay for the smaller capsule, and it's easier to make a larger capsule sound good.

Bryan Daugherty December 8th, 2009 08:27 PM

Thank you for the recommendations, i will check that out.

Bryan Daugherty December 8th, 2009 08:29 PM

Quick question. I looked at the AT899 and if I am understanding this correctly, the TA3F connector goes into the power module that has 3pin balanced XLR out. Can I use phantom power from my camera to power it over XLR via the power module or does using the power module require powering on battery?

Edit: Link to item on B&H for reference: Audio-Technica | AT899 - Condenser Lavalier Microphone | AT899

Pete Cofrancesco December 8th, 2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty (Post 1457976)
Quick question. I looked at the AT899 and if I am understanding this correctly, the TA3F connector goes into the power module that has 3pin balanced XLR out. Can I use phantom power from my camera to power it over XLR via the power module or does using the power module require powering on battery?

Edit: Link to item on B&H for reference: Audio-Technica | AT899 - Condenser Lavalier Microphone | AT899

It doesn't require a battery if your camera supplies phantom power. I own 3 and like them. I agree what the others said about omni. In addition AT899 clip allows the mic to detach if the talent walks away.