Rode Blimp Unboxing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Rode Blimp Unboxing

Thought I'd share the excitement to those who haven't received their blimp yet. Gotta love the guys at Rode .... everything about them is classy.

Images attached. Enjoy.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-2.jpg   Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-3.jpg  

Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-4.jpg   Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-5.jpg  

Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-6.jpg   Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-7.jpg  

Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-8.jpg   Rode Blimp Unboxing-rode-blimp-unboxing-9.jpg  

Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #2

Of course, I'm yet to use mine. Has anyone else received theirs yet and what are your thoughts?

Andrew
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Trustee

I have yet to use mine in anger, but I did a test at the weekend in very windy conditions in my garden - with the on-cam mic in a rycote softie in channel 1 and the NTG-2 in a Blimp on channel 2.

It's verrrrry good. You would hardly know the wind was blowing at all - in fact, the only wind noise I got was the wind whistling through the garden gate.

The blimp does seem to be suffering from hair-loss though. I hope it can be treated!
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #4

I guess all you need now is a big furry for the gate? Quick, start collecting those stray hairs! :-P

Andrew
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Mike .. RODE research shows the dead Wombat will shed hair a bit, then it settles down.

Did you guys get some spare grommets in the package?

Cheers.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #6

Yes, a spare set of 8 rings and a bunch of mic holder doovies for the other microphone sizes. Really impressed with Rode pro-actively sending the extra bits with the initial box. It will be a long time before you have to contact them for replacement parts.

Actually, I was recently told a story where someone called Rode about a mic that had failed. The Rode response was "Gee. That shouldn't happen." and replaced the mic ... even though the mic in question was well out of warranty. (Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary)

These guys are unbelievable.

Andrew
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Can't wait to get mines. If you don't mind i'll post pictures in this thread. I just ordered my Rode NTG-3 yesterday from Zzounds at an incredible low price. So low I'm scared to even post the price here. Great pictures and I'll be testing mines soon as well.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Trustee

Yup, a whole back of spare bits and pieces in the end of the box.

Good to hear the hair loss won't last forever. It will save me trying hair spray and then scanning the small ads for hair loss remedies!
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Trustee

First reaction: this thing is huge. It's MUCH bigger than it looks in the pictures, and you need a strong boom pole to hold it up with.

Gave it a good brushing the other day and comb ended up looking like I just groomed a dog. It fluffed up afterwards and doesn't seem to shed quite as much after that.

Really easy claim process on the RODE website for the blimp, it came like a week after I submitted the claim.

I haven'd had the chance to use it yet, but so far it looks like a nice product, especially for the $0.86USD I paid for it!
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #10

Yeah, it's kinda huge. And I've already perfected my James Bond stance with this thing.

Andrew
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Hankerson View Post
... I just ordered my Rode NTG-3 yesterday ...at an incredible low price. So low I'm scared to even post the price here.
Their prices are exactly the same as B&H, far as I can tell. Unless you're talking about refurbs or open-box demos, and even then B&H is less for some items.

(Maybe I'm missing something. Meaning no disrespect to you or your vendor, but I got all excited and was then disappointed to find their prices aren't any different from the trusted sponsor from whom I usually buy...)

Last edited by Adam Gold; December 8th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Adam, but the point is, currently the NTG-3 offer includes the $1 Blimp.

A couple of folk here have PMd asking me if I intend marketing the Blimp case.
There'd be no point, the freight cost would eat the profits. And it's easy to make, you don't have to put the fancy bit on the front cap. Keep the Wombat folded up in a cotton pillow case at the back of the main barrel to avoid static electricity build up with the PVC.

But whatever you do keep it in dust free storage. Cheers.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ode-blimp.html
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Yes, of course you're right, but as that deal is the same no matter where you buy it, I thought the point was that Nicole's vendor offered significantly better pricing than elsewhere, and was disappointed to find it wasn't so. As I said, I probably misinterpreted her point.

And of course the $1 offer is an incredible deal only if you really need the NTG-3. You could buy an NTG-2 and pay full street price for the blimp and it would still be less than the NTG-3 alone...
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Adam-I didn't pay $699 for mines. I got a brand new one and I have the receipt here to prove it. They beat a competitor's price with no problem. I got the Rode NTG-3 for $535.00 Just in case you think I'm lying I have attached a copy of my invoice. Enjoy!!!

Thanks
Nicole

p.s. Zoom in to see the price I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Blimp Unboxing-zzounds.jpg  
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #15
Inner Circle

That IS good. Can you share how one would get a price like that? There's no indication of it on their website.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio