DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rycote Hair on Rode Blimp? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/469621-rycote-hair-rode-blimp.html)

Uli Mors December 18th, 2009 04:40 AM

Rycote Hair on Rode Blimp?

Havent checked all numbers & sizes yet, but will any Rycote Wombat (dead Cat, Hair) fit on a Rode Blimp?

I found the blimb to be quite useful, but not for stronger winds. Want to try different hair on the blimp now...

Any suggestions?

Uli

Mark Boyer December 18th, 2009 11:10 AM

I use a cheapo blimp from India and a Rycote Windjammer dead cat fur cover. In high winds it works excellent.

Rycote has various sizes. Measure your blimp and compare to the Rycote specs. The windjammer for that unit should fit.

John Willett December 21st, 2009 02:23 AM

Rycote can make Windjammers in any size you want, all they need are the dimensions.

Renton Maclachlan December 21st, 2009 03:44 AM

For what it is worth...I've also got a el cheapo Indian Blimp and trialed it with its Indian furry about 400mm in front of a 400mm fan on full speed, and it cut all the wind noise totally...
I think I can tell a good thing when I see it - the Indian blimp looks to me to be pretty well made...no complaints at all...

Deepak Verma December 21st, 2009 05:37 AM

can you tell me the indian blimp makers name or company information..or anything that help me to find it..

Mark Boyer December 21st, 2009 11:13 AM

Link to the Cheapo India Blimp : The CineCity*::*Microphone Accessories*::*Cine Blimp Shockmount system

John Willett December 22nd, 2009 04:32 PM

You *do* get what you pay for in basket windshields.

There are several manufacturers who try and copy a Rycote - but if you do not fully understand all the science behind the design it can never be as good.

Yes, it may initially sound effective at stopping wind noise - but what does it do to the frequency response? How is it made? Will it fall apart after a couple of years because the copyist does not understand materials science? etc......

If you want cheap - personally, I would far rather use a Rycote S-series than a copy basket windshield - and - with the patented "Lyre" suspension that no-one can copy the Rycote is far better than any other in shock protection.

Renton Maclachlan December 23rd, 2009 12:22 PM

John: With all due respect, there is nothing extra fancy - material or otherwise - in a blimp. The Indian blimp looks to me to be very well made and the suspension system totally ok - especially for the cost!!! It was about 1/5th of the cost of the Rycote.

I cannot believe that paying 5x as much gets you 5x the quality. But I can imagine that paying 5x the cost would tend to make one seek to justify such a purchase... :-)

As for me, I am very pleased to get such good quality for such a cheap price...

I don't know anything about any difference between furries...

Mark Boyer December 23rd, 2009 02:10 PM

You are correct on the Rycote Blimp knockoffs.

On the Rycote fur cover vs. the knockoff the Rycote is better because the fur is longer.

I have made camera furry mic covers (when I can find the long hair material). I have done allot of searching in fabric shops and unless I want a fur cover in Hot pink the long gray fur material is unavalable and must be specially made for Rycote.

Renton Maclachlan December 24th, 2009 03:01 AM

The Indian furries fur is about 25mm...

Mario Vermunt December 24th, 2009 10:33 PM

I got myself an "Indian" windjammer as well and upgraded it with Rycote lyre suspension, works great. I needed the long version for my MKH815 and this one was really cheap. I do use a Rycote S for my Schoeps CMit-5.

John Willett December 28th, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Boyer (Post 1463973)
You are correct on the Rycote Blimp knockoffs.

On the Rycote fur cover vs. the knockoff the Rycote is better because the fur is longer.

I have made camera furry mic covers (when I can find the long hair material). I have done allot of searching in fabric shops and unless I want a fur cover in Hot pink the long gray fur material is unavalable and must be specially made for Rycote.

The Rycote is not better because the fur is longer - it's better because the material is specifically designed to do the job - not just diameter of the "hair" but also the lengths of the different strands (and they are not all the same length) - how they are fitted to the backing (in a way that will minimise any high frequency loss), etc., etc., etc.. And this fur is manufactured specially for Rycote and no one else.

There is a lot of science behind the design of the Rycote that you do not realise if you are just copying the product without fully understanding all the science behind it.