DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Windows 7 no "What you hear" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/470217-windows-7-no-what-you-hear.html)

Harry Lender December 30th, 2009 11:21 AM

Windows 7 no "What you hear"

I've been having some problems with my new Windows 7 Sound. I use "Audacity" from time to time with my old Win XP Pro with good success, however now with Win 7 there is no "What you hear" setting. Meaning a can't record any sound coming from the Internet. I've done extensive searching and found that alot of others have been having the same problem. There are other recording software that need this ability so far as recording from the internet. All the "work-a-rounds" do not work. I have heard that some have had to install a separate soundcard in order to have the What you hear back.
Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.
Regards
Harry

Rick Reineke December 30th, 2009 02:33 PM

"What you hear" is terminology used by the card manufacturer. it could be referred to as "Stereo out" or whatever.

Mike Beckett December 31st, 2009 02:56 AM

Harry,

I have the same problem with Windows Vista. I occasionally used the What-U-Hear option to grab some audio, purely for personal use. That avenue of pleasure has been closed off.

Like you, I searched the web pretty thoroughly, without success. It does seem to be down to the sound card. In my case, the Creative Soundblaster drivers for Windows Vista just dropped that option.

I was lucky and had an onboard sound as well as a sound card, so I was able to change my output audio device and get the equivalent of What-U-Hear (it was called Stereo Mix or something) from that. I was unlucky in that it sounded pretty funky compared to the nice clean Soundblaster audio.

So the question is - does anybody know of a sound card that supports this in Windows 7 or Vista?

Harry Lender December 31st, 2009 08:56 AM

Mike:

Everything you did...I did. I don't feel alone anymore. I checked with the shop that built my computer, I've been with them for quite sometime now and they recommended installing a soundcard in order to get my ablity to record anything off the internet etc. Right now we're going to install "Soundblaster X-FI card". It's not top of the line by any means but hopefully it'll do. They said that WINDOWS 7 does support it. We'll see. I researched it and some don't like it, but more people like it than not. So the price is right and if it works, great. As for windows 7, I love it but you really have to get use to it. Once you do learn it it's great. They ordered it and it should be in next week.

As soon as they install the new card and I find out if it solves my problem I'll post back and let you know.
Thank you and everyone for your replies.
Harry

Richard Crowley January 2nd, 2010 11:25 AM

Support for recording the stereo mix (aka "What you Hear") is dependent on the hardware and the drivers for that hardware. Unless the sound card (or more properly, its drivers) support the function, there is nothing the operating system can offer you.

"Sound Blaster" products are generally NOT recommended for any kind of serious audio applications. They are overpriced mass-market goods designed for people playing shoot-em-up games, etc.

Very strongly recommend using something like "Total Recorder" from http://www.totalrecorder.com. Its main feature is that it installs a "driver" which intercepts "what you hear" and routes it to the recorder. It does NOT depend on the feature being implemented by the driver for your current sound card, etc.

And the Total Recorder application is ever so much easier to use than Audacity. From personal experience, and trying to help friends who have tried Audacity, it is overpriced. Yes I know it is free, that is the point I'm trying to make.

Total Recorder is $18 and well worth every penny. It was designed specifically for recording computer-origin sound (like content playing from the internet, etc.)

Harry Lender January 2nd, 2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1467080)
Support for recording the stereo mix (aka "What you Hear") is dependent on the hardware and the drivers for that hardware. Unless the sound card (or more properly, its drivers) support the function, there is nothing the operating system can offer you.

"Sound Blaster" products are generally NOT recommended for any kind of serious audio applications. They are overpriced mass-market goods designed for people playing shoot-em-up games, etc.

Very strongly recommend using something like "Total Recorder" from Audio/Video Recorder, Editor, Converter. Capture streaming video and audio.. Its main feature is that it installs a "driver" which intercepts "what you hear" and routes it to the recorder. It does NOT depend on the feature being implemented by the driver for your current sound card, etc.

And the Total Recorder application is ever so much easier to use than Audacity. From personal experience, and trying to help friends who have tried Audacity, it is overpriced. Yes I know it is free, that is the point I'm trying to make.

Total Recorder is $18 and well worth every penny. It was designed specifically for recording computer-origin sound (like content playing from the internet, etc.)

Richard:
I went to the totalrecorder website and I am impressed at what I read. I was about to download a trail version and read that the requirements are as follows:

Requires: a sound card, DirectX V9.0 or later, 32-bit or 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. Graphic card must meet the VMR System Requirements.

I don't have a separate sound card yet. Mine is on board, sound is routed through the motherboard. So I'm wondering will it still work??? I may go ahead and give it a try. Thanks again for your heads up on this idea. I'll post back when I find out.
Harry

Richard Crowley January 2nd, 2010 07:10 PM

It does NOT require a "sound card". It requires that the computer have sound. It doesn't matter whether it is built-in or on a separate card. It is free to download and test, so just try it.

Harry Lender January 2nd, 2010 07:47 PM

Richard:
I did as you said and it does work. Both with audio and with video. Outstanding. I want to thank you for your input. You saved me a bunch of money. Just amazing. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help.
Regards
Harry

Mike Beckett January 3rd, 2010 04:56 AM

It is good software, and I have used it before - I believe the licence from High Criteria Software gives free updates for life (or it used to), so I should check it out again.

Thanks for the reminder, Richard!