DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/471047-rode-mic.html)

Lee Hughes January 15th, 2010 05:33 AM

Rode Mic

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used this RØDE Microphones - VideoMic

Any thoughts?

I need it for my trip, see sig so basically online vids and small films with just talking to the camera really..

Do you think is will do the job for me??

Many thanks

Ben Longden January 15th, 2010 05:40 AM

If my Rode NTG2 is anything to go buy, it'll be brilliant.
A few folks use the videomic and rave about it. With the shock mount, its great for being an on camera mic.

Ben

D.J. Ammons January 15th, 2010 12:00 PM

I own both a Rode Videomic that I use with my little Canon HV20 and a NTG-2 I use with my Sony V1U.

Both are great microphones. I did an outdoor wedding last summer using the Rode Videomic on the Canon as the emergency backup cam (wide center shot) and the Rode NTG-2 on the Sony V1U that was on a steadicam rig.

I thought I was going to have to dub in all of the music used in the wedding as it was from the DJ's speaker approximately 70 feet away (pointing out from the reception area towards the outdoor wedding area).

Much to my amazement the Rode Video Mic, which was off axis from the music sound source, picked up the music very well and I was able to use that "emergency" audio recording in the real edit. In a pinch I could have even used it for the wedding vows but the Rode NTG-2 on the steadicam rig which was about 12-15 feet from the couple picked up the sound wonderfully and we used that (had wireless UHF on the groom and preacher but they had moved the mics around and I was getting clothing noises and other intereference).

Lee Hughes January 15th, 2010 12:04 PM

thanks...

Seems am gonna for for this then :D

Richard Gooderick January 15th, 2010 05:37 PM

It might be worth checking out the Rode Stereomic too.
I use a Rycote furry thing with it. It's not designed for it but it works perfectly. I bought it for a Zoom H4. Sold the Zoom but kept the furry thing.

Allan Black January 15th, 2010 07:12 PM

The Rode Videomic is still the largest selling mic of its type in the world .. now in its 2nd generation. Both sound exactly the same the only external differences are the figure 8 silicon mounts on the suspension and the 3 internal input level pads or dipswitches in the battery compartment.

They are now shipped set at -10db .. for normal use leave them there .. or set and forget. For a very loud source you could drop to -20db .. but don't forget to put them back later.

The only call RODE get is people saying it's heavy on its 9volt battery. The answer is .. always switch the thing off before you put it away ;)

Cheers.

Dale Guthormsen January 15th, 2010 08:16 PM

Just to add on,

I use a rode video mic on my second cameera it often gives me the best sound. It is like an AT 897 in that they are a bench mark for quality in relation to cost that is excellent!!!

I would have no qualms about using it as a number 1 mic!

As Grazie told me four years ago, its a no brainer!