DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   USA/UK Sennheiser wireless mic frequency compatible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/47371-usa-uk-sennheiser-wireless-mic-frequency-compatible.html)

Tony Davies-Patrick July 8th, 2005 02:52 AM

USA/UK Sennheiser wireless mic frequency compatible?

I was just about to buy a Sennheiser EW E122-p G2 radio microphone from UK, but I want to also use it during my second stage of a film project in USA.

I take it that the Sennheisser only works on available TV frequencies:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...qfinder-ew.asp

I've been informed that I cannot use the Sennheisser bought in UK because they are set up for different frequencies. Does that mean I need TWO complete wireless set-ups if I want to use it in both countries?

The E122 has "...1440 tunable UHF frequencies for interference-free reception..." I would have thought that it would be tuneable for worldwide, but maybe there is a USA-only version and a European version.

I can't afford to splash out on two new systems, and if I need both a UK and a USA set-up it looks like I'm going to need to hire one in USA, which would also set me back a lot of money during many weeks of filming.

Ty Ford July 8th, 2005 08:16 AM

Different frequencies are used for different things in different countries.

Sennheiser's site has a frequency chart that tells you what frequencies will and won't work in US cities.

Check the site.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Matt Gettemeier July 8th, 2005 08:33 AM

Tony, any wireless transmitter/receiver combo tuned to the same frequency will theoretically work anywhere. The question is whether or not there is some OTHER source of RF which either overpowers the transmitter's output straight out or through intermodulation (by close spacing or a frequency multiple).

So when you referrence the charts you're looking for frequency competition within the available frequencies that your particular wireless set has available.

Fortunately with a G2 you can just scan for open frequencies when you set up in a new location each time anyway... so the charts aren't as important... except for predicting situations when you should make alternate arrangements (by renting/buying a different frequency range).

Tony Davies-Patrick July 10th, 2005 02:55 AM

Ty, you can see that I actually placed a link to the Sennheiser website frequency chart in my first post, so this obviuosly didn't give me all the answers.

UK frequencies are set up for Pal TV and USA NTSC, so whether this makes a difference in actual radio frequencies for microphones I don't know. The main thing is that I want to know exactly beforehand whether a UK version will work in USA by just changing the frequency selector on the wireless mics. I asked one of the UK sellers of Sennheiser and he said that a Sennheiser EW E122-p G2 radio microphone from UK will not work anywhere in USA. I'd like to know of anyone in USA who has found this to be true.

I will mainly be working in Upstate New York over several different counties around St Lawrence, Lake Ontario, Niagara, Finger Lakes regions.

I would rather use a UK version if I can, as this will give me time to work and test the units out in UK before flying back to USA, and also allow me to use the kit when I'm back in UK. Would this be possible or am I stuck with the fact that European and US/Canada versions cannot be interchanged?

Patrick King July 10th, 2005 06:53 AM

I found a link to another site with similar info:
Lectrosonics - Sort By City

Ty Ford July 10th, 2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
I will mainly be working in Upstate New York over several different counties around St Lawrence, Lake Ontario, Niagara, Finger Lakes regions.

I would rather use a UK version if I can, as this will give me time to work and test the units out in UK before flying back to USA, and also allow me to use the kit when I'm back in UK. Would this be possible or am I stuck with the fact that European and US/Canada versions cannot be interchanged?

What frequencies do they operate on?

You could end up on parts of the spectrum here that may be used by heart montors or some other medical gear, or some other gear.

You can certainly try to use them, but you may be in violation of some laws. Whether or not you get caught or actually do real damage by your interference are other matters.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Regards,

Ty Ford

Mike Teutsch July 10th, 2005 09:48 AM

Bottom Line

The bottom line in all of this is just this:

Your unit will work fine in any part of world or elsewhere. The thing you have to be concerned with is if your transmitions will interfere with any assigned frequences in the area you are in. This would violate U.S. FCC laws.

You can check in advance with different resources, to find open frequencies, and there probably are some. Or you can just get on location and check to see if you are receiving any interferance. If you are not, you probably can get by with using it briefly. After all, you output is very weak!

One thing you might want to do is aquire a list of frequencies for the US model and check against your models frequencies to find any that are in common.

If you ae filming in downtown New York, you just might interfere with something, but anywhere else your probably safe.

Mike

Tony Davies-Patrick July 10th, 2005 10:17 AM

That is what I thought, Mike - that I should be able to find a frequency where the UK version works (although the remarks by the UK Sennheisser seller do still worry me).

Some sections of the filming will be on the St Lawrence River within yards of the Canadian/USA borders where a lot of Police Border Patrols use various frequencies and other border security, so there could be problems in certain areas.
The other main areas are along the Lake Ontario shoreline and Finger Lakes which should be OK, although the dam and gorge areas around Buffalo and Niagara could also be a problem.

I guess I'll have to look into it more deeply myself prior to buying the Sennheisser kit here in UK if nobody on this forum has tried a European G2 version in USA. What I don't want is to pay out for the wireless mics and then find that it doesn't work at all in the areas where I'm filming.

Another concern is that I often fly to different locations worldwide, so if I can buy a good quality wireless mic that would work in most parts of the world and across USA, then that would be the one to buy. Maybe the "...1440 tunable UHF frequencies..." will be enough?

Matt Gettemeier July 10th, 2005 12:26 PM

I don't get it... and I'm only repeating what I said earlier... but isn't this like buying a catcher's mit and a baseball... and some goofball at the store says that the two won't work in another country?

The transmitter sends out 740.100... the receiver tunes in 740.100... ball thrown... ball caught in glove. Simple?

Now if something else gets BETWEEN the pitcher and catcher that can cause a problem... or if there are bigger things flying into the glove first, that can be a problem... or if you get to the field and all the balls and gloves (okay this one sounds stupid)... that can be a problem... but other then that I gotta' agree with Ty and the other guys.

It's not a question of "IF" the transmitter/receiver still works in other countries... it's a question of whether or not the frequencies are taken/restricted in the place you want to use it.

Tony Davies-Patrick July 11th, 2005 05:53 AM

"...The transmitter sends out 740.100... the receiver tunes in 740.100... ball thrown... ball caught in glove. Simple?..."

If it were only that simple, Matt! At least then I could just tune in a UK-version wireless mic set to a clear frequency of that particular State that I'm filming in...but life is full of hurdles to make anything but simple!

I've just had a talk with the tec section of Sennheiser UK. There are five different versions of each G2 made and each has different internal specs. USA sell mainly the A & B versions, wheras UK sell the E version. The E version will work and is legal in UK and most of Europe. It also has completely different internal frequency band control than the US versions.
However, if I bought the UK version for use in USA, not only would it be difficult to tune in to working bandwidths, but more importantly it would be completely illegal to use it...in any State.

Sennheisser told me that they have had frequent occasions where the airport security, baggage checks, or customs have confiscated UK wireless microphone systems, simply because it is NOT legal at ALL to even bring in wireless microphones purchased outside of USA. You cannot even purchase a special licence to use a UK version in USA.

My intentions and hopes of using the same wireless mic units in both Europe and USA are obviously a no-go area. I therefore will have to buy two completely different wireless sets...and empty even more money from the piggy bank.

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2005 06:26 AM

Email

Bummer Tony! Sent you an email.

Mike

Tony Davies-Patrick July 11th, 2005 07:13 AM

Sent an answer to your Email, Mike. You are a star!