DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser ME2 or MKE2 Lapel mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/473766-sennheiser-me2-mke2-lapel-mic.html)

John Willett March 1st, 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet (Post 1492843)
The MKE2-EW is £151 currently - is it worth it?

Yes - it should be £285.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet (Post 1492843)
My only interest is the sound quality and not the build/durability - can you please clarify in what aspects this is 'much better'. Is it a more open sound, more focussed etc... Thank you

It's a much higher quality mic. It's omni so it's nothing to do with being more open or more focussed - it'[s just a better mic. all round and includes protection against sweat and damp and does not break so easily.

It's like comparing a Mercedes with a Ford.

John Willett March 1st, 2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1493035)
Why point the mic away from the mouth Paul? Is that to defeat plosives? I know an omni pattern is very wide, but I thought it was still better to point the ic at the mouth for the best pick-up.

Please share your tips, as I always want to do better. I record all day math seminars with lavs on the subject, and I want the pest placement with the least hassle.

The MKE 2 is so small that it is a true omni all round.

Pointing it down prevents plosives and nose noises getting straight into the capsule and causing overloads.

David Knaggs March 1st, 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1493088)
David I think the G3 is your best bang for your buck. Anything cheaper is going to have lots of interference/drop outs. I say just get the Sennheiser G3 with the plug on (you never know when that will come in handy), then pick up the COS-11D later. The ME-2 isn't horrible.

Thanks, Chad. I appreciate the advice.

Colin McDonald March 1st, 2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1493034)
OK Paul, so now you've got me interested. I'm not over happy with the basic omni mic on the two Senny G2's kits I have (but like better the ME4 cardoid I bought as an addition, apart from it's size).

Sounds like I need to step up to one of these soon.

Suddenly everything went all blurred there for a minute and I when I came to I'd just bought one as well.
:-)

I've been using the ME-2 omni a lot for recording mixed instrumental groups and needed the convenience but with a better sound.

John Willett March 1st, 2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1493104)
Suddenly everything went all blurred there for a minute and I when I came to I'd just bought one as well.
:-)

I've been using the ME-2 omni a lot for recording mixed instrumental groups and needed the convenience but with a better sound.

I would not say the ME 4 is better than the ME 2 - in fact I regard it as worse and would not normally advise using it unless you are plagued by feedback and really need the directivity.

Colin McDonald March 1st, 2010 06:23 PM

Sorry that wasn't very clear - it's an MKE2-EW that I just bought as the price was too good to miss. I have no use for the ME 4 and don't have one, but I've been impressed how well the ME 2 does in a variety of uses.

Andy Wilkinson March 2nd, 2010 03:53 AM

I've found the ME 4 useful in certain situations on corporate shoots where the background noise is unavoidable and I need the directionality it has to try and isolate the speaker a bit better. Yes I know! - you'll say just find a nice quiet office etc. but in some companies those don't exist or the speaker needs to be in the environment he/she is describing. Anyway, I find it a useful addition in my kit.

Andy Wilkinson March 2nd, 2010 04:24 AM

What is this Mic?

2 Attachment(s)
Also, maybe here would be a good place to ask about this mic. I got it about 6 months ago with a second hand G2 kit but have n't really had time to establish this mics particular properties (which I do with all my gear before using them on any paying jobs). Just taken a couple of snaps of it (attached) and I'd be pleased to hear what you experts think it might be?

It would be great if it was a MKE2 but I suspect I'm not that lucky!

John Willett March 2nd, 2010 06:59 AM

It's definitely *not* an MKE 2 - much too large.

It's probably the ME 2-US.

Rick Reineke March 2nd, 2010 03:42 PM

Indeed, The ME-2 (US) I have is identical to the photo. (evil twin.)

Andy Wilkinson March 2nd, 2010 04:43 PM

OK, thanks to you both for identifying it so quickly. I'm assuming it's acoustic properties are going to be similar to the "normal" ME2 I have - i.e. adequate (rather than excellent) and an Omni.

John Willett March 3rd, 2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1493820)
OK, thanks to you both for identifying it so quickly. I'm assuming it's acoustic properties are going to be similar to the "normal" ME2 I have - i.e. adequate (rather than excellent) and an Omni.

The ME 2-US is a nicer mic. than the ME 2 (ball-shape) normally supplied with the -p systems.

It's a good value for money mic. but the MKE 2 and MKE 1 are vastly better.

Andy Wilkinson March 3rd, 2010 10:46 AM

Thanks John. As always from you and many others on this section, very useful information.

Colin McDonald March 3rd, 2010 11:12 AM

And my thanks too, Deniz for flagging this up and John as always for authoritative advice.
My MKE2-EW arrived today - can't wait to try it out!

Colin McDonald March 12th, 2010 05:02 PM

The MKE2-EW is one cracking little mic. I am impressed how it can handle (very) enthusiastic use of tom toms and still pick up all the zing of suspended cymbals and maracas right beside them. OK, I know it's a lavalier, but it can behave like an expensive studio mic when required.