DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Drivers for Iriver 790-890? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/480137-drivers-iriver-790-890-a.html)

Ian VanCattenburch June 9th, 2010 12:07 AM

Drivers for Iriver 790-890?

Are there any drivers for Vista 64 for these old Irivers? I still love using these little guys but can't seem to find drivers for new OS

Gerald Labrador June 10th, 2010 12:33 PM

I ran into the same problem when I went to Windows 7. iRiver program installed but still couldn't recognize the iRiver once it was plugged in.

the next simplicity_iriver

But luckily I had the iRiver music manager app on my Macbook also, so thats how I was able to update mine. Now Windows 7 just recognizes it like a usb drive and the audio is automatically mp3 (no more converting).

Renton Maclachlan June 10th, 2010 01:42 PM

Gerald

So what precisely did you do?

(I see some Feb 2007 drivers for the 700 and 800 series on page 6 of the link you gave.)

Renton

Dave Blackhurst June 10th, 2010 03:17 PM

There are two types of firmware for the iRiver - one a proprietary format, and one a "UMS" (universal mass storage), you update the firmware, the two versions are interchangeable (they erase the "data" files IIRC though, so you have to keep your files on the computer).

If you use the UMS, it's like any other USB device so W7 can "see" it as a drive. You may want to double check noise levels, as I noticed more background noise when recording w/UMS firmware.

Jaime Espiritu October 29th, 2010 09:01 AM

Iriver 895 driver for Windows 7

The iriver site isn't working right now. It's got viruses. Does anyone know what other sites I can get the Music Manager? I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP.

I no longer have the old iriver music manager to pull off my vows from my wedding project.

Help!!

Thanks in advance.

Gerald Labrador October 29th, 2010 09:50 AM

I know what you're going through.
I got another iRiver and lost all the previous drivers too.
Found this:
Iriver iFP-880/890/895/899 Firmware v 1.95 - TechSpot Drivers

Jaime Espiritu October 29th, 2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador (Post 1583468)
I know what you're going through.
I got another iRiver and lost all the previous drivers too.
Found this:
Iriver iFP-880/890/895/899 Firmware v 1.95 - TechSpot Drivers

Thanks, Gerald.

I actually need the Music Manager softtware because Windows 7 doesn't see the device. Iriver's Music Manager will see ifp-895 in order to do firmware update.

I have vows on the unit and I don't want it erased or I'm toast!

Dave Blackhurst October 29th, 2010 10:45 PM

I have the MM software here, but as near as I can recall, the drivers don't work in W7, and when the drivers don't work, the MM software still can't "see" the iRiver, so just having MM won't "help". I've just used an older machine here with XP to download, then transfer the files - sometimes having EOL computers around is handy! Once flashed to MP3 firmware, they show up like regular USB drives.

PM me if you need to get a copy of MM, I'll dig it up and either upload it to my website and send a link, or just email it to you.

Vito DeFilippo October 30th, 2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1583663)
Once flashed to MP3 firmware, they show up like regular USB drives.

Remember that flashing these models with the UMS firmware limits max recording bitrate to 96Kbps. Not very good compared to the usual 160Kbps (which is already not great).

Using an XP machine is probably the best option.

Matt Barwick October 31st, 2010 08:20 PM

Jaime - try here:

(2) iriver_Music_Manager_V321_sp.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

or here:

iriver_Music_Manager_V321_sp.zip

but like Dave said I doubt they're going to work on Win 7.

I use an XP machine to get my files off. Why iriver crippled these great devices like this by forcing the use of this software I don't know :(

Good luck.

Dave Blackhurst November 1st, 2010 12:54 AM

As Vito noted, it was probably to achieve a higher bitrate than "regular" MP3...

I would suppose it would be possible to code new drivers that would work in W7, which IIRC is the "weak link", but iRiver likely won't do anything on "old" technology...

Jaime Espiritu November 5th, 2010 09:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I found a laptop computer that has XP and now I can convert my files to my heart's content. I learned an important lesson while upgrading operating systems...

Renton Maclachlan November 5th, 2010 10:53 PM

I understand Win7 has an XP mode. Would the iriver program run on it?

Jaime Espiritu November 6th, 2010 08:34 AM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium. That's what got me into trouble. No XP emulation features.

Dave Blackhurst November 6th, 2010 12:12 PM

Somehow i think I saw SOME XP emulation features (running W7 Home) for one program I was trying to get running, they didn't seem to help, had to get a new/different build from the manufacturer to solve the problem. Didn't think to try emulation mode for the iRiver MM software, I took it from the error message that it was the DRIVER that was no longer accepted, and just presumed it was not fixable without a newer version driver (which I don't expect to see from iRiver...).

May have to revisit this, I've just been using one of the XP machines I have at my disposal to work with iRiver files, but it would be nice to get it working in W7... I've managed to get several programs functioning that were supposedly entirely incompatible...

And yes, one has to consider when "upgrading" whether all the "favorite" programs that NEED to run will work on the new platform. I still wish the old Descent games would be ported, they were fun, pretty sure my kids would have a blast with them, but support stopped at W98SE/ME... and there are a few other programs I've "lost" along the OS upgrade path, most of which I never miss...

Jim Snow November 6th, 2010 07:17 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the XP mode in Windows 7 is limited to the Ultimate edition. With it, a version is XP is downloaded and can be run from Windows 7. I haven't tried it myself; I haven't needed to but that's how I understand it to work.

Troy Davis November 11th, 2010 10:48 AM

I have Vista 64 and had the same problem. I found a link that allowed me to update the firmware which basically allows the iriver when usb attached to act as a drive. Works great! I can send you the file that I downloaded if you need it. Just send me a email. I don't think the site I downloaded from is available (strange).

Dave Blackhurst November 11th, 2010 05:33 PM

Actually I've got all the "latest" firmware for the 700 and 800 series, v.795 IIRC. But as noted earlier in the thread, when using the Mass storage (USB) firmware, you lose some audio quality from what I could tell...

Vito DeFilippo June 27th, 2011 09:41 AM

Re: Drivers for Iriver 790-890?

I can confirm that in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, the iriver ifp series will work using Windows XP Mode.

I installed Windows XP mode, then installed the iriver Music Manager in the virtual machine. Hook up the iriver to your USB port, then choose the USB menu at the top of the window and select "Attach". The drivers will be installed and you can transfer and convert to mp3 as usual. Works great.

You need to choose "Attach" every time or the virtual machine doesn't see the iriver.

Tomasz Kalinowski June 27th, 2011 10:04 AM

I have Win7 64bit home premium. I use VMware player.
VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC

Install the app , then install windows xp as virtual system.

Works flawlessly .

Tom

Greg Miller June 27th, 2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1583734)
Remember that flashing these models with the UMS firmware limits max recording bitrate to 96Kbps. Not very good compared to the usual 160Kbps

According to my manual, Voice goes up to 160kbps. Line In goes up to 320kbps. I'm not sure whether an external mic falls under the 160 limit or the 320 limit. But no, you certainly don't want to lose that.

There's a slim chance you might find some info on the rockbox.org website, but I don't know how much they tell you about the native firmware.

Vito DeFilippo June 27th, 2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1662267)
According to my manual, Voice goes up to 160kbps.

Not with the UMS firmware. Flashing that drops the voice limit to 96. You can confirm this on Google. For example:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-bit-rate.html

Greg Miller June 27th, 2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1662271)
Not with the UMS firmware. Flashing that drops the voice limit to 96.

I'm not questioning that. I'm simply saying that with the native firmware, the top bitrate for Voice is indeed 160kbps, but the top bitrate for Line In is 320kbps.

And, as I said, you wouldn't want to lose that (if a UMS "upgrade" limits you to 96).

It seems a shame that there isn't some FW version that lets you have UMS and also the original bitrates. I wonder whether this is just a USA issue, and some non-US firmware gives you the best of both worlds.

Also, I'm trying to recall whether Rockbox worked on the iFP 7xx and 8xx series... if so, the Rockbox developers surely would not have limited the upper bitrate.

Oh well... I have a stack of boxed XP machines. I'll just discard them them as they die, open a new box, and continue with XP. With luck, my supply of XP machines will outlive me.

Greg Miller June 27th, 2011 11:06 PM

BTW, thanks for posting those old Mistic River links! But, unfortunately, those links now seem to be dead.

I would like to get more info about the various FW versions, as I have some iFP-7xx and also some iFP-800 machines. (I haven't looked at them too recently, but would gladly convert them to UMS if I could keep the original bitrates.)

Vito DeFilippo June 28th, 2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1662294)
I'm not questioning that. I'm simply saying that with the native firmware, the top bitrate for Voice is indeed 160kbps, but the top bitrate for Line In is 320kbps.

Sorry, misunderstood your previous post.

I remember looking into the Rockbox firmware. They were developing something for the ifp series, but I think it was abandoned.

But I'm happy now with using XP mode on my Windows 7 machine. Works fine to let my irivers continue to limp along a bit longer.

Timothy Takemoto October 7th, 2011 09:19 PM

May your supply of XP boxes outlive you though you live for almost ever.

Hard disk cloning with Acronis migrate easy can make PCs last a very long time.

Linux may be another option
iRiver iFP open-source driver

And Vista works too with newer versions of Music Manager
http://local.iriver.com/usa/lounge/l...ge=5&cateCode=

I can confirm that even with the Japanese versions of the software (MM, firmware) there is no way around the bit rate vs UMS (external disk) viewable issue. I guess that accepting data as an external disk uses processor power that can not then be used on bit rate.

These old ifps are great for (always ready-to-go off the shelf) AA battery compatibility and external microphones. Not rocket science but newer players do not provide these basic features.

Greg Miller October 7th, 2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Takemoto (Post 1687203)
These old ifps are great for (always ready-to-go off the shelf) AA battery compatibility and external microphones. Not rocket science but newer players do not provide these basic features.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "players." If you really mean "recorders" then there are several that run on AA or AAA cells, accept external mics, and have various form factors... with prices ranging from $150 downward.

Smallest (flatter but longer than the iFP family) is the Sony ICD-SX700 (internal RAM only). Next up is the Tascam DR-03 (micro SDHC).

Stepping up further are the Tascam DR-07 and Alesis PalmTrack (SDHC machines). The Tascam is a bit longer than the Alesis; the Alesis is a bit wider than the Tascam. (I just bought a PalmTrack last week for $38... much less than the iRivers have ever cost.)

All the above are intended primarily as recorders (which I suspect is what you're looking for, since you are concerned about external mics). And all will play MP3 files, some also play WAVs. And all have recording level metering, an important feature missing from the iFP series.

Renton Maclachlan February 21st, 2013 02:51 AM

Any update on this thread?

I haven't used my Iriver IFP 890's for ages (so long that I had even forgotten how to turn them on!!!), but thought again tonight that I should see if I could get to install them, in case some recording needing them comes up. They are unusable if not installed!!!

I'm on Win7 32 bit on one computer, and Win7 64 bit on another.

It seems that to upgrade firmware you need Iriver Music Manager, which I have on disk but apparently that doesn't work in Win 7.

I found upgrades of firmware (v 1.95 as opposed to 1.25 on my irivers) at:

Iriver iFP-880/890/895/899 Firmware v 1.95 Drivers Download - Download Iriver iFP-880/890/895/899 Firmware v 1.95

and

Iriver iFP-880 890 895 899 Firmware 1.95 - free Iriver iFP-880 890 895 899 Firmware download

And upgrade to Music Manager at:

iRiver Music Manager for iFP Series and N10/T10 Drivers Download - Download iRiver Music Manager for iFP Series and N10/T10

Anyone who has had experience of this care to comment about the above links, and what one is required to do to get the 890's going on Win 7?

Dave Blackhurst February 26th, 2013 02:22 PM

I've found NO Win7 support for these, I flashed them over to UMS (Universal Mass Storage) firmware versions on an old XP box I can't seem to get out of my network... I've got archived versions for everything, MM and drivers for the various 7xx and 8xx series...

Haven't tested the audio quality in UMS mode, but somehow I seem to recall I had some issues when I tried it ages ago. I'm getting ready to sell off mine, so I'll probably run some tests and see if/how they work for this function.

I would think that someone somewhere would have "hacked" the drivers to make these work as originally designed, but I guess there just wasn't enough interest, and the company moved on, apparently without "open sourcing" their original code to allow users to keep these relevant. I picked up some Olympus digital recorders cheap to cover the intended uses, but would have rather stuck with the iRivers! As much as I love to "hack" equipment and software, my mojo is limited, and sometimes you just can't keep cool things working after they reach the end of their market life!

Greg Miller February 26th, 2013 04:15 PM

Dave,

If you're really that attached to the iFP machines, wouldn't it be reasonable to keep an old XP laptop around, just as a downloading station? You could find something small and reliable (Dell C400 comes to mind) for around $100, which is about what a single iRiver cost when they were new.

I enjoyed the iRivers in their day, but was always scared that I had set the recording gain incorrectly... you don't know until you get back home, download the file, and look at the waveform. And then it's too late! That's why I was happy to make the transition to some of the newer machines I listed above.

Out of curiosity, did you ever check the RockBox site? My recollection is that it's a very big site, a bit hard to navigate, and the moderators are a bit intolerant of users who ask questions before doing a lot of searching. Given all that, they just might have something useful. I haven't looked there recently, because of the above, and because I still have lots of XP machines. But I'm curious as to whether you tried looking there.

Steve House March 2nd, 2013 08:59 AM

Greg's suggestion to keep an old XP laptop around got me thinking ... which version of Windows 7 are you using? If you have Win 7 Professional or Enterprise, a fully licensed virtual machine installation of Win XP is part of the package, no separate physical computer required. You need to download the installation files from the MS website but installing the virtual PC on your Win 7 machine would let you run those drivers within it. The data files created or edited in the VM are accessible to the Win 7 side of the partition. Alas, if you have the Win 7 home versions the Virtual PC utility isn't available for it.

Al Gardner March 2nd, 2013 08:22 PM

Greg,
I get what you're saying about the irivers but I beg to differ. I own 2 Tascam DSR-100 MII's, but I honestly still prefer my irivers. Although I now use them mainly as backup. But often times in post I wind up using the audio from the iriver. I've used them long enough to know how to set my levels and then slide the lock switch and forget it. The irivers have saved me many times as I mainly record dialogue. I think it's one the best devices ever made, even though they weren't made for this purpose per say.
AL

Timothy Takemoto April 4th, 2013 02:15 AM

Thank you very much Greg Miller for recommending
Sony ICD-SX700 (internal RAM only)
Tascam DR-03 (micro SDHC).
Tascam DR-07 and
Alesis PalmTrack (SDHC machines)

All of which seem very suitable as recorders. I generally use my iFPs for listening to music and only a couple of times for really good audio (it seemed to me). I still use my iFPs (I have two, the displays slowly go) which I access with old XP machines that I have lying around.

If one has Windows 7 Home Premium (as I do) then XP mode is not available but apparently one can install a virtual machine
Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista
if one has a spare copy of XP. I did this and failed to access my player but I read that if one goes "to Control Panel->settings->hardware->device manager->usb and load the drive (automatically)" then the virtual XP will see the player.