DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   canon xm2 - lavalier mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/481362-canon-xm2-lavalier-mic.html)

Brian Manning July 4th, 2010 10:38 AM

canon xm2 - lavalier mic

hi all,

im looking for a lavalier mic for my canon xm2.(gl2).
i have a rode videomic and its fine and fits to hotshoe, simple.
i have a wired lav mic in work but the cable is heavy and im afraid i may have damaged the 3.5 mic input by letting the heavy cable hang out of the jack one time. when i use the lav mic it buzzes etc but the rode shotgun mic is fine.

Anyways, i need to get a wireless lav mic for manouevrability and quality audio as most of the stuff i do is interviews, frequently outdoors. so any suggestions from ,say, cheapest to mid range?

Also, a guy told me his sennheiser lav mic fits on the hotshoe and doesnt need an adaptor....i would love it to be plug and play. my brain gerts fried when i hear the words phantom power and line in and adaptor. i cant afford to spend hundreds of works money and end up getting the wrong mic or a mic thats not compatible, which is where you guys come in.....hopefully.

Thanks,

Brian.

Robert Muncie July 4th, 2010 10:49 AM

I just purchased the Sennheiser EW-112P G3 and have been very happy with it so far. Sound quality is great and the range has been more than I could have hoped. I tested mine out to 75 feet so far without any issue. The Sennheiser's are small and durable and have screw in connectors so you don't get an unwanted disconnect. And yes it'll fit on the hot show or the back of the camera if you have a mounting plate.

Brian Manning July 4th, 2010 03:05 PM

something cheaper?

Thanks very much,

looks like a nice mic. Would you have any idea what other options I have? just in case I cant afford the €580 for this sennheiser. What other makes and models could I go for
Also, how come this mic just fits on the hotshoe? I have researched this quite a bit on lots of forums and kept hearing about adaptors being needed and watch out for phantome paower this and that....it all sounded so complicated. If I do go for something cheaper will I need an adaptor?thats my worry.

Thanks,

Briano.

Steve House July 5th, 2010 06:41 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Sennheiser is just about the minimum for a decent quality wireless capable of serious work. Almost anything less would be a plasticy toy not worth the money.

Bruce Watson July 5th, 2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1545343)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Sennheiser is just about the minimum for a decent quality wireless capable of serious work. Almost anything less would be a plasticy toy not worth the money.

+1. What Steve said.

Brian Manning July 5th, 2010 09:32 AM

really? ok then, good to know. Just one final question, is there an older model of this sennheiser that would work just as well but is cheaper then?

Oh and where would u recommend buing from? i live in reland. I got the camera from england from what im pretty sure was a grey import but it all worked out fine in the end after a small wait. but id rather get it from an official shop to be sure..

Thanks, for the info thus far, its really cleared my mind, thanks,

Brian.

Brian Manning July 5th, 2010 02:02 PM

WCS-999 | WCS-999 Wireless Microphone System | Sony | SonyStyle USA

what about something like this one?

Steve House July 5th, 2010 04:44 PM

Sorry, plastic consumer toy. In fairness, it may indeed be all you need - you haven't said what you're shooting. If your shooting ambitions are family and vacation record shots then it may really be perfectly okay. But the assumption here is you're doing professional work or are aspiring to do so. And what you've linked to just won't cut it when you're in an environment where your reputation is based on the last gig you did; where one failure can mean you won't work again for that client and blaming the equipment is no excuse. $600 US for the Sennheiser is really extremely cheap for serious wireless - try pricing Lectrosonics or Zaxcom! Sony has some very good, professional grade, wireless units, as does Audio Technica, but their serious gear is in the same price ballpark as the Sennheiser.