DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   any body here use Ulead MSP with their VX cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48164-any-body-here-use-ulead-msp-their-vx-cam.html)

Jay Noggle July 23rd, 2005 09:50 AM

any body here use Ulead MSP with their VX cam?

lets start with the above.

I need some info on how MSP treats split mono audio input from the VX using two mono mics simultaneously?

anybody doing this?

Jay

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 23rd, 2005 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Noggle
lets start with the above.

I need some info on how MSP treats split mono audio input from the VX using two mono mics simultaneously?

anybody doing this?

Jay

I'd honestly be shocked if anyone here was still using MSP...Ulead (now part of Nvidea) haven't done anything with it for such a long, long time, even though they've been promising a release for a long, long time. We'll see what September brings.
That said....currently MSP can't manage split audio files. You'd need to create the dual mono elsewhere, and import those into MSP.

Jay Noggle July 24th, 2005 10:34 AM

Hey Douglas Spotted Eagle!

Thanks for the reply (incidently, I was a student at the VASST Ulead seminar in Seattle a couple years back).

So, what would happen with this if the VX is set to 12 bit (which is supposed to allow for two mono audio tracks) with two mono mics connected via a stereo to mono splitter?

The point of this is that I am working with a buddy who has sub contracted me to do a CD ROM peice for a local community college/culinary school.

My buddy is the project administrator and is sceptical of what MSP can do with this type of set up. He shoots with DVC PRO and uses a Globe Caster system and this type of configuration is easily manipulated in it. The problem is his lack of available time on this project which is why I am being subbed out on it.

This is the largest project (monetarily and promotionally for myself) that I have been involved in and see it as a pivital opportunity in becoming a key video producer in my small market.

I hope this is not a dead end with the physical limitations of MSP. I have been using it for going on 5 years now and have no plans to switch to something else. The only reason this audio question is an issue is because the project administrator is used to working this way and we don't have a lot of time for trial and error.

Thanks again, Jay

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 24th, 2005 10:50 AM

First, the VX can do dual mono, or rather split tracks whether it's 12 bit or 16 bit, I believe. If it can't, it's the first I've been made aware of it.

Second, MSP can't split the dual mono signal, period. So, import the dual mono into Sound Forge or other audio editor, make it two separate mono tracks, then import those back to MSP as single mono tracks.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is start searching for another editor. Ulead just hasn't kept up. They have said several times that they'll have a new MSP this fall, along with a new DVD Workshop, but who knows? Virtually all their US people are gone. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their hat, who knows. I did meet with some of their people in Asia a couple weeks ago, and wasn't impressed with what they had to share, but that also doesn't mean they shared everything.

Further, your project admin is the guy you need to impress, I'd guess. Therefore, if audio is really important, I'd not be using MSP anyway, as the audio tools in MSP have always been weak, and these days it's by far the weakest app out there, especially on the audio side. No amount of attempt on my part could get Ulead to get moving on audio, and they embarassed me terribly when I'd set them up with a key player in the audio game a couple years back by not following through. I just have little good to say about Ulead any longer, so there is my bias expressed about as good as I can express it. They had a great shot, and not only did they miss, they never took it, IMO.
Good luck with the project, if you end up using MSP, I hope you have good knowledge of Sound Forge, Audition, or other quality audio editor, because you're gonna need it.

Jay Noggle July 24th, 2005 12:48 PM

DSP:

Thanks again for the quick response.

I have been playing with all of this since I posted to your earlier response.

The Sony issue is 12 bit 2 channel mono only as far as I can see.

I do have Sound Forge XP 4.5 as well as Acid Pro 4.

Of course the idea is to preferably not export and then reimport the audio which is what I have done with weddings with multiple sources of audio=nightmare!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not sticking up for MSP, it is simply the tool that I have available. Were I to do it my way, there would only be one source of audio on the cam. I would instead use my second cam with either another shotgun or wired lav mic directly. But I AM NOT calling the shots and do know that my buddy is far more experienced at this than I.

I have a lot to learn yet with the engineer/tech end of things such as this topic. My thing has always been more on the creative side. Because of this, I can spend way too much time in the details of getting a project just right because I don't have that knowledge in this type of thing for example.

Incidently, what are you advising or using in the way of DVD authoring?

Thanks, Jay

Alex Gee July 25th, 2005 08:02 AM

The audio editor module of MSP7 can split the stereo track - or am I missing something?

(other than the fact you don't seem to be able to open the audio track directly in the MSP audio editor, which is a bit dumb)