DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   potential audio set-up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48245-potential-audio-set-up.html)

Jared Thomas July 24th, 2005 05:45 PM

potential audio set-up

ok. so im pretty sure out of all the aspects of videography, I know the least about audio. I've began doing some weddings, and all ive used thus far (2 weddings) is my on-board mic on my xl1s. so...im thinking i wanna do the following audio set-up: wireless Lav mic on the minister (since he's looking opposite direction) and rig up a good shotgun mic for the bride and groom. Have it directed at them on my xl1s (since i usually get diagnal from the bride). Mix those two in post, and hopefully get some decent audio... im not sure which mics im getting yet...any suggestions would deffinitley help.

also, i have the ma-100. 12 bit will allow me to use the lav and shotgun right...?

David Ennis July 24th, 2005 07:14 PM

You can use full 16 bit audio to record from two mics (or lav and shotgun). One will go to the left channel and one to the right. In 12 bit mode you could record four channels simultaneously but it doesn't sound like you're ready to go there yet.

Many wedding videographers use a wireless lav and a shotgun. One good lav on the miniister will get excellent audio from the bride and groom also.

What's your budget? Standard basic wireless sets run from $100 to $500

Shotguns from about $150 to $1600 and more, with $150 to $500 fairly mainstream around here.

Jared Thomas July 24th, 2005 07:33 PM

ok, yeah i wasnt sure if 16 bit would cover a 2 mic set-up. umm yeah i plan on spending about average on both mics. i have my eye on these mics.

1. Wireless Lav
a. Sony UWP Series C1
b. Sennheiser 100 G2

2. Shot-gun Mic
a. Sennheiser ME-66, ME-67?
b. Azden SGM-2X
C. Sony ECM-672
d. Audio Technica AT-4073a, AT897

Like i said earlier, i do not know much about audio...i really do not know what to look for in a good mic. but if can hear it, i do have a pretty good ear for what does/does not sound good...my friends always have me critique their recording when they are mastering or bouncing their music.

David Ennis July 24th, 2005 08:06 PM

I don't have first hand experience with wireless but I have seen that a lot of people like the G2. I vaguely recall one or two of the experienced hands in this forum saying good things about the Sony too.You can do a search on them here to help decide.

The Azden is not in the same league as the Senns or the ATs. I'm not familiar with the Sony. The AT897 is one of the best values out there. The ME-66 has a better reach, but the AT897 has a sweeter sound. I forget how the 67 relates to the 66. But for indoor work I'd go with the AT897 over the ME-66. The AT4073 is the most sensitive in the group and also the best sounding under most circumstances, but I suspect it wouldn't sound good indoors in an accoustically live environment. Again a search here will lead you not only to commentary, but some links where you can hear them.

Glenn Chan July 25th, 2005 02:03 AM

A hypercardioid microphone may also be a better choice if your work is predominantly interiors (because shotguns can sound nasty indoors... especially cheap ones).

By shotgun I mean a mic that uses the line-gradient design, and it's that particular design that causes shotgun microphones to sound weird/artificial/hollow indoors. If you get the shotgun mic within 1-2 feet, you likely won't get that effect. 1-2 feet can be realistic for narrative-type projects, although I doubt you can get that to happen for weddings.

Hypercardioid microphones don't seem too popular with wedding videographers, but my guess is that they could be a better idea than using a shotgun microphone. I don't have experience doing weddings so unfortunately I can't tell you which approach is better (or point you towards clips so you can judge for yourself).

Jared Thomas July 25th, 2005 09:37 AM

thanks guys, your information is well appreciated.

Steve House July 25th, 2005 09:59 AM

Forum member Ty Ford has posted a video clip on his website that does an excellent job of demonstrating the characteristics of lav, shotgun, and hypercardoid mics. Well recommended to all ... www.tyford.com.