DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode Videomic & Beachtek Adapter Questions & More... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48338-rode-videomic-beachtek-adapter-questions-more.html)

Brett Whited August 8th, 2005 07:41 PM

Hello-
If I use the Rode VideoMic with my Beachtek DXA-6 (connected via Male XLR to Female Mini cable) and turn phantom power on, will it hurt the VideoMic? I ask because I would like to use it with maybe another mic like an AT3031 (which requires power). I don't think power will travel over the XLR-to-Mini cable will it? Also, for future reference, if I can't have the phantom on with the VideoMic, can I still use a wireless setup along with it? Wireless systems (like the Sennheiser G2) don't require power do they?
Thanks!
-Brett

Ty Ford August 8th, 2005 08:49 PM

Here's the deal on that. Every Rode VideoMic made after four days ago will not have a problem when it encounters 48 V DC phantom power.

Some Phantom power supplies provide no more than 16 V DC. The VideoMic may well be very cool with that.

In any case, the 48 V DC phantom will not hurt the mic, it just won't sound right. It will just sound a bit dull with a low hum and splips here and there. Turn the Phantom power off and hear it come back.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bill Binder August 8th, 2005 10:28 PM

So, are you saying every Rode Videomic made BEFORE four days ago DOES have a problem with it? It won't blow the mic, but the mic is unusable if it is receiving 48v phantom? That kinda sucks for me (me = owner of older VideoMic) because I've been planning on buying a DXA-6 or DXA-8 soon. On those Beachteks, can't you send phantom down one line or the other, or do you have to send it down both or none?

Signed... Bummed...

Glenn Chan August 8th, 2005 10:46 PM

You could get a phantom power supply for the other microphone?

Brett Whited August 9th, 2005 05:37 AM

That does suck Bill...I just recieved my Rode VideoMic. If I woulda known that, I would have waited. In reguards to the DXA-6, you have to have both or none with phantom power. So would could be a possible solution? I guess the only thing to do is do as Glen said and buy a separate phantom power supply for the other mic. Oh well....
-Brett

Ty Ford August 9th, 2005 05:59 AM

None of these mini mics from ANY manufacturer were expected to be plugged into a 48 V DC Phantom Power supply. They were designed to plug into a camcorder stereo mini input. Those inputs just don't have 48 Volt Phantom power. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that many of them have the same problem.

There are several Phantom Power voltages below 48 V DC. The Rode VideoMic should be OK at 12-16 V Phantom Power voltages.

As suggested, just use another phantom supply for mics that require full 48 V DC Phantom Power.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Brett Whited August 9th, 2005 06:05 AM

I was pondering another point to all of this. If I have my Beachtek DXA-6 with the phantom on to power an AT3031 mic and have the other input going into a soundboard, is this going to be a problem? Will the 48V that the Beachtek puts out to power the mic also distort whats coming from the soundboard?
Thanks!
-Brett

Ty Ford August 9th, 2005 06:28 AM

I haven't run into a problem with that sort of connection yet, but what's being marketed as a sound board these days doesn't always spec up to professional use. Try it and see.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guy Bruner August 9th, 2005 06:57 AM

Why not just buy the RØDE VXLR adapter?
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--82693/

Guy Bruner August 9th, 2005 12:39 PM

According to RØDE technical support, the Videomic ignores phantom and can be attached via the VXLR or other adapter directly to a powered XLR port without problem.

Brett Whited August 9th, 2005 12:44 PM

Wow Guy, Thanks! Did you call them or something to find out?
-Brett

Guy Bruner August 9th, 2005 03:39 PM

I just emailed them. They responded within a few hours. They are very responsive and attentive to their owners/buyers. They have been very accommodating when I request a loaner mic for review. I wish more companies were like this.

Bill Binder August 9th, 2005 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Here's the deal on that. Every Rode VideoMic made after four days ago will not have a problem when it encounters 48 V DC phantom power.

Guy if that's true, then what's up with this post from Ty? What does Ty know that we don't? Where is this "four days" thing coming from Ty? Thanks for your help...

Guy Bruner August 10th, 2005 05:14 AM

Don't know, Bill. I guess Ty will have to answer that.

Ty Ford August 10th, 2005 06:35 AM

That's what the head of the company told me. He's very dedicated and smart to boot. He pays attention. That's why Rode has been able to bring such neat toys to market.

It may be possible that Rode will put an added blocking capacitor in the converter. That would also solve the problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford