DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need on location handheld IV mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/483395-need-location-handheld-iv-mic.html)

Matt Shefford August 15th, 2010 07:57 PM

Need on location handheld IV mic

Hey Guys

I'm looking to purchase a pair of handheld IV mics for a tv sports show for outside interviews on the beach etc.

Currently I'm running 2 x Shure sm58s.

I'm looking to for a mid range-decent price mic but am not sure where to look. I've been using the search function for IV mics but have found nothing.

Only the vocal mic discussion of sm58's vs behringer's etc.

We will be booming with a NTG3 as well for redundancy as well but want some mics with cubes+logo for the shot.

Is something like the R0DE M3 a product I would be looking at?

Thanks Matt

Battle Vaughan August 15th, 2010 08:16 PM

The ElectroVoice RE50B microphone is almost an industry standard for hand-held iv mikes in the tv news business. Nearly indestructable, you see them on every field interview...I have also used a Sennheiser ME64 as a handheld, it's more directional and sensitive, probably people following this post will find fault with that but worked for me...

Steve House August 16th, 2010 04:06 AM

There's often a high level of ambient noise at outdoor sports events. If you want a bit of isolation of your subject you might also consider a cardioid dynamic such as the Sennheiser MD46 reporter's mic.

My short list would include ,,,

Electrovoice 635
Electrovoice RE50b
Sennheiser MD42
Sennheiser MD46
Audio Technica AT8004/8004L

John Willett August 16th, 2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1559550)
There's often a high level of ambient noise at outdoor sports events. If you want a bit of isolation of your subject you might also consider a cardioid dynamic such as the Sennheiser MD46 reporter's mic.

My short list would include ,,,

Electrovoice 635
Electrovoice RE50b
Sennheiser MD42
Sennheiser MD46
Audio Technica AT8004/8004L

This *is* the short list - there is also a good Beyer and the Sennheiser MD21 (still made after nearly 60 years) is also a good reporter mic.

Personally, the MD 42 or 46 are good choices and well used in Europe (the EV is more a USA standard).

Matt Shefford August 16th, 2010 08:36 PM

Thanks for your replys

I saw the EV being used at a Redbull event and a surfing webcast, I will look at both the EV and the Senn's.

I see your point about ambient noise too Steve, I will consider getting a cardoid ENG mic too.

Cheers for your input and opinions

James McBoyle August 17th, 2010 07:56 AM

I'm happy to recommend the Bayerdynamic M58, which is also not badly thought of. It's certainly held up ok in the press conferences I've used it for so far.

Jerry Porter August 17th, 2010 08:16 AM

I have been using an Sennheiser MD 431 II and really like it. It's a bit more than the others mentioned here, but I have yet to find a sound that can make it crack. Dave Grohl uses them on stage for his live shows and if it can handle that it can handle anything.

John Willett August 17th, 2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 1559939)
I have been using an Sennheiser MD 431 II and really like it. It's a bit more than the others mentioned here, but I have yet to find a sound that can make it crack. Dave Grohl uses them on stage for his live shows and if it can handle that it can handle anything.

The 431 is an excellent mic. (I have one myself), but I would *not* use it for interview work.

It's a super-cardioid and the best interview mics are omni (or cardioid if you have to) and the 431 was designed for stage vocals.

All the good interview mics have an extra long handle - Sennheiser MD42, MD46, EV and the Beyer M58.