DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Canon Vixia & Audio 2000 UHF Wireless Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/484375-canon-vixia-audio-2000-uhf-wireless-mic.html)

Bob Ditch September 7th, 2010 07:41 AM

Canon Vixia & Audio 2000 UHF Wireless Mic

I have a Canon Vixia HFS20 and a Audio 2000 UHF wireless receiver duel channel with 2 lapel mics we want to use for instructional classroom videos. The receiver has a 1/4" plug and the camera has a 3.5mm terminal. Can I use an adapter to reduce the 1/4" to 3.5mm with causing any problems?
thanks for replies in advance.
Bob

Edward Carlson September 7th, 2010 08:42 AM

There might be a problem with the output level of the receiver. If I remember correctly, the HFS20 doesn't have manual audio level control. If the receiver is outputting line level (as opposed to mic level) the signal will be way too hot (loud) for the camera to handle. That being said, I don't know what the receiver outputs, so it wouldn't hurt to get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, they're inexpensive and useful enough to have multiple on-hand.

Bob Ditch September 7th, 2010 08:46 AM

Thanks Edward,
There are 2 volume controls on the Audio 2000 receiver.
When you say "too hot" for the camera; could this damage the camera at all?

Edward Carlson September 7th, 2010 08:49 AM

No, just that the audio would be atrocious. The camera's built-in Audio Gain Control (AGC) circuit would be working hard to constantly vary the level. Like when that annoying loud TV commercial comes on and you grab the remote to turn it down. The camera would constantly be doing that. If the receiver has level controls on it, then it will probably work fine. Make sure you monitor the audio with headphones to make sure that it sounds OK before recording anything important.

Jay Massengill September 7th, 2010 12:26 PM

The HFS20 does have manual audio level control.

In addition, you can engage an Attenuated Mic Level setting for the input.

However, you can't select the input to take Line Level, so your success in using your wireless receiver will depend on how you can set its output level and whether you would need additional attenuation beyond what you can select within the camera. I'm not familiar with this wireless system you mention.

The only way to know is to read the manuals for both devices. Adjust the settings of the wireless system and the camera properly, and monitor with headphones attached to the camera for distortion and proper recording level.

There are attenuated dubbing cables, and other methods available to correctly connect the two if you can't achieve good results with the onboard settings of both devices.

Update: I've glanced at the Audio2000 wireless systems, there are many different model numbers. You'd need to specify which one you have.
On the two different dual system receiver models I looked at, the spec listed for audio output adjusts from 0-500mV on one of them and 0-774mV on the other. So depending on how accurate that spec is and how well the control adjusts within that range, you should be able to do this using an unbalanced stereo 1/4-inch male to unbalanced stereo 1/8-inch male cable (or cable and adapters as needed).
You'll need to keep the output of the receiver low so that you don't overload the Mic Level Input of the camera.
You should keep this cable short (8 to 10 feet max), as it will be prone to picking up interference and will be relatively fragile.
A more robust solution would be to use the balanced XLR connectors from the wireless receiver and a BeachTek-type audio interface attached to your HFS20.