DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   mounting a recorder to a DSLR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/488074-mounting-recorder-dslr.html)

Lee Tamer November 26th, 2010 10:54 AM

mounting a recorder to a DSLR?

Is there any way to successfully mount an audio recorder to a DSLR? Specifically a Canon 7D? I've seen it done, I'm just wondering how

Steve House November 26th, 2010 11:07 AM

Velcro strips?

Ruben Kremer November 26th, 2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Tamer (Post 1592296)
Is there any way to successfully mount an audio recorder to a DSLR? Specifically a Canon 7D? I've seen it done, I'm just wondering how

I always use a hotshoe-mounted ballhead for a Zoom H4n - works like a charm if you're audio-recorder is not too heavy/big.

Dan Brockett November 26th, 2010 11:55 AM

If you are using one of the popular Zacuto, RedRock Micro or Gini shoulder mount rigs, there are plenty of areas of 15mm rod that are open. Many people are using something like a Manfrotto micro clamp to attach an audio recorder to the rig, you can also use an Israeli arm or you can velcro a recorder to the shoulder pad or thereabouts. If you are using just a DSLR sans shoulder mount or rails system, you are pretty much stuck using the hotshoe mount.

Dan

Lee Tamer November 27th, 2010 01:26 PM

with the Hotshoe mount, how do use it in addition to the Rode mic?

Dan Brockett November 27th, 2010 08:11 PM

There are dual hotshoe mount adapters but they are going to make your DSLR tremendously top heavy and ungainly. I recommend a shoulder mount system that has adequate real estate to mount a recorder and mic in separate areas.

Dan

Bill Davis November 27th, 2010 10:36 PM

I'd agree to stay away from the hot shoe mount - too much opportunity to screw up not just balance, but to damage the mount by putting something heavier than a lightweight flash on that mounting point.

And if you don't want to go the whole "rails system" route - then you can do something as simple as a flash holder bracket similar to these:

There are many, many similar units - some with dedicated mounting points for other accessories.

YMMV.

Neil Hurley November 28th, 2010 06:05 AM

Hi Lee,
Check out this site.I have not used one myself but it is an interesting idea for a mount and also a monitoring option. Regards,Neil

The J-Rod & J-Cube Microphone Mounts and Professional Camera Accessories

Erik Andersen November 29th, 2010 02:45 PM

Definitely don't mount the recorder on top of the camera. Most of the time the camera will be eye level, so you won't be able to read the display.

If you're on a tripod just use something like a ram clamp or one of the many arms out there to clamp it to the sticks. Same for a shoulder rig.

Guy Cochran November 29th, 2010 03:47 PM

There are a wide variety of solutions. I'm using the K-Tek "Norbert" the most so far. It's all rigged up with a Zoom H1 recorder, Marshall 5" monitor, plus a Sennheiser wireless receiver and still have plentyof room for a Litepanels MicroPro or 2.

Our friends over at juicedlink look like they're making something similar to the Norbert according to their blog
Blog : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production

Bracket1 has a new offering for DSLR's Bracket 1: Video Camera Bracket system for Mounting Wireless Microphone Receivers and Accessories to your camcorder or SLR

BeachTek has also makes the new MultiMount 5D BeachTek MultiMount 5D Camera/Camcorder Accessory Bracket

There are many more, some cheap, some very expensive. Visit redrockmicro and zacuto for the real pricey stuff. Or Amazon for some kind of strobe bracket for something on the cheap.