DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recording w/ iPod nano - compatible lav mics? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/488089-recording-w-ipod-nano-compatible-lav-mics.html)

Erik Andersen November 26th, 2010 06:48 PM

Recording w/ iPod nano - compatible lav mics?

I'm thinking of using an iPod nano as a recorder for lav mics. We currently use two senn g2 lavs for our event videography. I'm looking for a standalone option for situations where (a) there isn't room for a wireless transmitter (mic under wedding dress, mic on handheld wireless mic) or (b) when we have used both wireless units and need another mic.

I know you can use the nano as a voice recorder, for instance you can use the mic built into the Apple earphones while wearing the earbuds. What I'd like to do is use something like a white countryman lav mic with the iPod.

Specifically I want to use the iPod nano because it is so small and because it has a handy built-in clip.

I know it's possible to record high- or at least decent-quality sound on the unit, but I'm concerned with finding the right pro microphone compatible with the iPod nano.

... and if anyone can weigh in before the sale ends tonight that would rock ;)

Erik Andersen November 29th, 2010 02:42 PM

[bump]

Ok let me rephrase... ;)

Anyone know of a very small standalone recording solution? I've heard of the old iRiver IFP's being used, but it's hard to find one at a reasonable price. Basically I'm searching for a very small unit I can plug a lav mic into. Not concerned with monitoring audio, as this would be only for backup or for situations where there was no other way to record audio.

Anyone know of a device that would do this?

Kevin Spahr November 30th, 2010 12:56 PM

Although I do not have a iPod Nano, I have experience with iPod G5 and iPhones and none of them will give you a good recording for video production. They have no manual gain control. They're great for voice memos, but not for production. An external mic just gives you a better quality poor recording.

I use to put an omni lav on both the groom and the officiator and pick up the bride that way.

Andy Wilkinson November 30th, 2010 01:05 PM

Kevin is right. A few years ago I spent some time attaching various external (cheap!) microphones to an Archos AV420 (I still have several Archos units including 2 of these, all still all working, all still play video beautifully!) and even though these Archos Media Players allowed recording in uncompressed PCM .wav at 48Khz these kinds of things are really only useful for voice memos on the audio recording side. The amplifiers etc. are very very basic. I don't own a Nano (did, but I gave it to my 12 year old and she won't let me near it now!) but I'd be pretty surprised if it allow anything of quality to be recorded, audio wise....and I think that includes some of the song choices she's downloaded onto it from iTunes ;-).

I accept may be wrong as I'm not up to date on the Nano but getting good audio is a fundamental building block of shooting good video as you well know. Don't skimp this bit and get a proper digital audio recorder which will be ideal for the situations you need it for. There are some very good, very small and inexpensive options now as has been well covered in this forum section many times. Hook your Lav up to one of those - that would be my advice.

Erik Andersen November 30th, 2010 11:57 PM

Thanks Kevin and Andy. We're using Sennheiser G2's and a Zoom H4N for 99% of the audio and will continue to. This is definitely a backup / last resort option.

Kevin yes that's what we do as well, but there's that 1 in 10 situation where there is both tons of background noise and a soft spoken bride. So even that mic just 1-2 feet away is not getting much at all. At the reception, sometimes there is no way to get audio from speeches (cheap wireless handheld mic feeding atrocious house system) and we'd prefer not to put a lav on each person who comes up to the podium. So I want to find a way to piggy back a little mic and recorder on the wireless mic. There's GOT to be a way!

Andy thanks I'll do a quick search for those topics, and hopefully find something. Or you could mention one of these solutions... ;)

Andy Wilkinson December 1st, 2010 12:37 AM

This should get you going. Start refining your search using the names of the recorders listed in the first post of this thread perhaps, but I'd add the Olympus LS-10/11 to this initial list from what I've read in the past. (Searching the Audio section with 'Digital Audio Recorders' pulled up 121 threads - Lots of good advice amongst that lot!)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-recorder.html

Jim Andrada December 1st, 2010 01:04 AM

Sony PCM D50 is outstanding but a bit bulky and maybe a bit pricey. I hear really good things about the Sony PCM D10, but haven't tried it (yet) myself. I've been using a couple of MicroTrack units - they're fine for voice but not particularly well liked by most folks. Can't say I'm overly enthused about them, but I do use them and so far no real issues. If I were buying something else right now I'd probably get the Sony D10 and give it a try. The D50 does have one of the cleverer limiters around - not sure if the D-10 uses the same scheme, but it may. Also not sure how well the internal mics compare between the D50 and the D10 - mics on the D50 are surprisingly good, but for use with an external mic, not relevant.

Guy Cochran December 1st, 2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Andersen (Post 1593785)
Thanks Kevin and Andy. We're using Sennheiser G2's and a Zoom H4N for 99% of the audio and will continue to. This is definitely a backup / last resort option.

Kevin yes that's what we do as well, but there's that 1 in 10 situation where there is both tons of background noise and a soft spoken bride. So even that mic just 1-2 feet away is not getting much at all. At the reception, sometimes there is no way to get audio from speeches (cheap wireless handheld mic feeding atrocious house system) and we'd prefer not to put a lav on each person who comes up to the podium. So I want to find a way to piggy back a little mic and recorder on the wireless mic. There's GOT to be a way!

Andy thanks I'll do a quick search for those topics, and hopefully find something. Or you could mention one of these solutions... ;)

I would go with a lav into a $99 Zoom H1, then use an 1/8" mini to mini to feed the output of the Zoom H1 into the Sennheiser wireless transmitter. The G2 and G3 wireless transmitters can handle a LINE level input. You'll just need to adjust the Sensitivity down to -30dB. Be sure to test the levels on the H1 - you'll want to remember what setting you use for both the Mic input level and the Volume level of the Line/Headphone out. You'll also want to use a bit of gaffer tape to secure the cables - the last thing you want is someone accidentally disconnecting the cable. That's the only thing I wish was included- a belt clip! On the back, be sure to also turn off Auto Level, Lo Cut and switch the Rec format to WAV.

We've been selling a ton on the Zoom H1's at the DVeStore. They're a hit! They're really clean for the price At $99 less 5% with coupon code "dvinfo" at Zoom H1 Handy Recorder - DVeStore. Here is an example of the actual H1 recorder with an omni lav.