DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RØDE PinMic REVIEW! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/488314-rode-pinmic-review.html)

Chad Johnson December 1st, 2010 05:47 PM

RØDE PinMic REVIEW!

Here's a video I just made about the RØDE PinMic. The more I use it, the more I like it. The audio in this was recorded hardwired into a Sony EX1 camera, and nothing was done to the audio in post. So turn it up and check it out. Also there is some comparison with the RØDE Lavalier, which proves to sound exactly the same as the PinMic, though in the "street musician" test the PinMic sounded more open due to it's orientation. But you be the judge.

RØDE PinMic Reveiw

RØDE PinMic Test 1

Andrew Smith December 2nd, 2010 01:02 AM

Nice to hear that they are now available in stock. Thought the song was great, too.

Andrew

Renton Maclachlan December 2nd, 2010 12:56 PM

Maybe I'm thick but...can the pinmic be used with normal xlr wiring? What about power? The blurb seem to always refer to wireless...

Rick Reineke December 2nd, 2010 04:25 PM

I belelive it's just like Rode's other new lav, 'MiCon' adapter plugs for
Phantom Power / XLR and for most of the popular wireless transmitters. Sennheiser, Lectro, Shure, AT, ect.

Chad Johnson December 3rd, 2010 10:40 AM

Yes Renton, for abut 30 bucks you get the "MiCon 5" XLR adapter, which converts phantom 48v into the 1v that mic needs, and you're good to go. I was hardwired in the making of this. Also they have a 3.5mm (1/8" mini) that you can use with recorders that provide plug-in power, like the Zoom H1 and the Sony D50. I think that is the "Micon 2". I think this versitility combined with the sound qualities are going to make these mics great secret weapons for sound people. They are already making me second guess my Sanken COS11d.

Renton Maclachlan December 3rd, 2010 05:58 PM

Thanks Chad

I see in the videos from Rode that extra covers(?) that can be painted to match clothing etc are available. Do you know anything about getting these...and cost?

Chad Johnson December 3rd, 2010 11:55 PM

I know the PinMic comes with one black and one silver cover. I'm not sure how to get more. Maybe peruse the Rode site, or write them an email. They are very responsive.

Jimmy Toha December 4th, 2010 08:16 AM

Hey Chad,

I've been watching your two video reviews, especially since I've been scavenging for audio solution for DSLRs. And it seems like a good audio solution can cost as much as a few lenses put together. It's so easy to leave audio in the last of the equation when in reality it's equally crucial to our other imaging hardware.

In the pin mic test 1 though, is it me or do I hear more sound hiss from Rode PinMic on the first lady subject as compared to the Audio Technica shotgun mic? The former tests clean on the subsequent subjects though. Do you think the setting has to do with it?

Anyway, thanks for the reviews. Never knew such a pin mic existed until I clicked on the thread. And you look and sound really pleasant on camera, it's been an enjoyable viewing.

Jim

Chad Johnson December 4th, 2010 04:44 PM

Thanks Jim. I'm glad you got something out of the videos!

I think what you're hearing is more of the room tone with the PimMic, since it's omni, vs the AT4053b, which is a hyper. There is some self noise with the PinMic too, but not really more than others. Probably more than on a nice shotgun or hyper. It's not really a factor for me so far, as I have good results. I also have iZotope RxII for any noise that actually gets bad enough to distract from a production. I highly recommend RxII for anyone working with location audio. That app is magic.

Chad Johnson December 6th, 2010 09:09 PM

Call me crazy, but I just had to do it. I recorded a drum track using only two RØDE PinMics and one RØDE Lavalier. I used the Glyn Johns mic placement method (google it) to get a big Bonham sound. I think it sounds pretty good!

Andrew Smith December 7th, 2010 01:20 AM

I like your kind of crazy! :-)

Wondering if we could almost start an unofficial comp as to the most unconventional ways you can use the Rode pinmic?

Andrew

Chad Johnson December 7th, 2010 12:42 PM

I like the sound of that idea Andrew! That's what I am in the process of doing. I am making a whole song using only PinMic & Lavalier. I already did drums, bass, guitar, and lead vocals. It sounds surprisingly good considering! I'll post the sesults, but it will be a while. I have to earn a living too, and thigs are getting crazy as Xmas approaches. But I plan on recording a xylophone and a Korg Monotron and some shakers etc to get things going. It will be crazy.

Andrew Smith December 7th, 2010 12:54 PM

The Rode PinMic song, I trust?

Andrew

Chad Johnson December 7th, 2010 07:35 PM

Exactly! I am in production of a "Rode PinMic song, using only the PinMic (and Lav) to do everything. I am taking my time and recording here and there, and then I'll be shooting video too, trying to make it funny. It's going to be sweet.

Andrew Smith December 8th, 2010 10:44 PM

Does the plot line of the music video involve Rode pinmics popping up in the most unlikely of places?

Andrew