DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48939-c01u-usb-studio-condenser-mic.html)

Owen Meek August 7th, 2005 04:43 AM

C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic

would it be possible to connect a usb condenser mic to say a Panasonic GS150 which already features a usb connection, or is the usb on the dvcam only for outputing?

I want to buy this mic for qualty vocal tracks on my very portable notebook DAW setup (onboard audio interface!) and would like to hit 2 on the head with a single mic, so if I were to use this with my camcorder it will mainly be for the purpose of soundfield recording of ambiance etc not for shotgun recording.

Its battery powered and a very cost effective solution for anyone that would like a studio condensor mic good inough to record vocal/instruments etc without the need to spend on a quality audio interface, I just hope it would work with the GS150.

Does anyone have any idea if its possible?

David Ennis August 7th, 2005 10:33 AM

There aren't many mics with USB plugs, so I doubt that this would be supported by any camcorder, but to find out for sure you can go to panasonic.com and follow the support links to get a GS150 user's manual.

But another approach would be to get any adaptor cable that will mate with the mic and wire the other end for connection to the camcorder. You would simply have to find out which pair of wires in the cable carry the audio, and which carry power to the mic if applicable. The mic jack on the GS150 does provide power. Two questions are what supply voltage, if any is required by the mic, and whether it is sensitive enough. If it's designed for a PC, than it is probably plenty sensitive.

Glenn Chan August 7th, 2005 02:37 PM

The USB plug would supply a different voltage than the mic jack on a GS150 I would think?

I think USB is 12V, but I may be wrong. The GS150 will be ~2-2.5V.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 7th, 2005 02:46 PM

I too, may be wrong, but I think USB voltage varies between 4.5 volts and 5.5 volts. Anything that drops more than half a volt in a hub or device chain shuts down that part of the chain, if I recall correctly. This might be just USB 1, I'm not sure. Been too long since I've looked at that stuff. :-)

Glenn Chan August 7th, 2005 04:03 PM

Hey Spot I think you're right.

Anyways, it would be worth researching if the mic will do ok with 2-2.5V (when it expects _____) if you can even find the right adapter.

Nate Ford August 8th, 2005 01:29 PM

i think we've lost sight of the more important issue. the mic in question must have internal a/d conversion if it is supplying digital audio to a laptop via usb. the mic jack on your camcorder is looking for an analog mic level signal. a usb cable is carrying data. there is no pair of wires in a usb cable carrying analog audio. it aint gonna happen.

probably the more versatile (and better sounding) move would be to buy a decent mic and a small usb or firewire audio interface with one or two phantom powered mic pres.

i just did a little research and checked out the mic's manual and it does indeed do internal a/d conversion (at 16 bit, 48khz, which aint really that great by modern standards.) here's the manual:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/r...wnman_v1_1.pdf

Nate Ford August 8th, 2005 01:32 PM

btw,
i haven't heard this mic so this is pure speculation, so take it with a grain of salt, BUT...

A) given past experience with samson products, and
B) given that this is a large dia condenser with built in a/d conversion that retails for $79,

this is almost definitely not a high quality microphone. (or a/d converter for that matter.)

Owen Meek August 11th, 2005 04:13 AM

hello all and thanks for helpin out, sorry for my late response.

i dont have a camcorder yet but am anticapating getting one soon and for this reason was hoping it would do the trick for both..

anyways, i've gone ahead and ordered the mic, looks like i'll be the first in oz to own one here.

also, given the specs ad conversion @16/44.1 is quite realistic and modest by todays standards considering the bandwidth of usb and since this mic is optimised for usb1 just like most external pro audio interface, (excluding firewire which would need a 6pin for power which is not common on most laptops), are not expected to work full throttle 24/96 even though the cards specs may suggest. for eg, you cant record & monitor at 24bit!
and i made a mistake in my first post, the mic is powered via usb not battery!

i did explore my audio interface route with M-Audio Fast Track USB, the cheapest option availble with accepatble quality pre's but the price of that alone is worth more than the standard non usb samson co1 mic and you still need to buy a mic!
not only that but thats one extra peripheral to lug around for people on the move.

anyways, cant try it out with a camcorder but will run it through a thourough testing on pc and will report back for any irregularity or audio dropouts.

and here's a link if you want to pay double the price (not avaiable yet) for this little cute snowball.. http://www.synthtopia.com/news/05_01/Blue_Snowball.html