DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lav or Shotgun for 1 Person Greenscreen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490742-lav-shotgun-1-person-greenscreen.html)

Steve Kalle January 26th, 2011 08:49 PM

Lav or Shotgun for 1 Person Greenscreen

Which is your preference for a person sitting and framed from waist up in front of green screen and why?

I have a G3 with Tram TR50, NTG 3 on boom overhead, Sony UWP wireless standard lav or a Tram TR50 w/ TR79 for XLR wired.

Thanks

Chad Johnson January 26th, 2011 10:27 PM

Do both and decide for yourself. I suggest treating the room too. That will affect your sound quality more than anything. If is sounds echoey dats no good.

Jay Massengill January 27th, 2011 09:14 AM

Yes, do all that Chad suggested.
Also remember that the boom mic doesn't have to be out of frame. As long as it doesn't visually touch the top of the person's head it can be removed with a "junk" mask in addition to the green screen masking for the person's outline. This may allow better sound from the boom mic since you can get it closer than the edge of the frame.

Robert Turchick January 27th, 2011 10:26 AM

I've been doing just the boom lately as the NTG-3 sounds fantastic and I'm always fighting whether I want to see a lav on the talent or not. Lately not!

If you don't mind seeing the lav, do both for redundancy. Might as well use both audio channels.

Chad Johnson January 27th, 2011 12:18 PM

Or use a PinMic to hide the mic in plain sight. YOu can also put a lav under a shirt/blouse and still get good results. But in a controlled situation like you described, a hypercardioid like the AT4053b is the right tool for the job.

Garrett Low January 27th, 2011 12:52 PM

As has been said use both. Get a pin mic and when possible use a boomed mic too. In some wide green screen shots I've done the boom shadow just can't be avoided without being too far away. In general I like the sound of boomed mic better.

Chad, I saw your shootout of the AT4053b and NTG3. When are you going to do a shootout of say the AT4053b and a Sanken CS-3e indoors. the CS-3e is one shotgun that I have no problems with indoors. And the cost of a AT4053b and NTG3 is almost the same as a CS-3e. I've done a comparison between the CS-3e and NTG3 and the CS-3e wins clearly IMHO, but I'd love to hear how it compares indoors to a quality hypercardioid. (sorry, no intention of hijacking the thread).

-Garrett

Renton Maclachlan January 27th, 2011 12:56 PM

I've used an NTG3 on a boom for just this situation but have now bought an NT3 for it as the recommend is that it's better inside.

Chad Johnson January 27th, 2011 01:20 PM

Garrett I would love the check out the Sanken CS-3e! It's got a great reputation, and known for being great ingoors as well. If I ever get one I'll do a shootout for sure. It's a bit pricey for my wallet right now though. 1,500.00 is a lot of scratch. If I have that much free to blow after I get my tax return, it's probably going to a Panny GH2 camera though.

I'm not sure if I would say to someone to get a CS-3e for 1,500.00 rather than getting a shotgun and a hyper hyper, like the NTG-3 and the AT4053b for about 1,130.00. I can't authoritatively say that the CS-3e is the BEST choice for indoor stuff, or at least BETTER than the AT4053b, which is a hyper. I just can't say. But man I want one...

Jay Massengill January 27th, 2011 01:22 PM

@Renton The NT3 is considerably heavier, so use the appropriate counterweight on the boom or sandbag on the base. It will also have lower output when compared with the NTG3, so make sure you are getting good performance from your preamp.
I use an NT3 for this situation in my studio, but that's a dead-quiet treated space and I have a good preamp

Steve Kalle January 27th, 2011 04:00 PM

Thanks guys for the comments.

The only reason I was not dead set on using the boom is due to it picking up any movement below the chest such as moving papers (which will happen for this 'news' show) although, the talent is a 20yr pro reporter/anchorwoman.

I need to throw my 2 cents into the mix about $1500 shotgun mic's - I listened to Ken Stone's comparison and find the Neumann KMR82 as my favorite shotgun for indoor and outdoor use, but I haven't had the budget, yet.

Chad Johnson January 27th, 2011 04:41 PM

Got boom? I'd like to suggest a great boom stand that I picked up after watching this video by Guy. For me, regular mic stands just don't cut it, even the nice Atlas one I have with tripod legs. This Combi-boom can get really high, and comes with a bag to put sand/rocks/batteries in for balance.

YouTube - Manfrotto 420B Combi boom stand for lights or microphones

Renton Maclachlan January 27th, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1611904)
@Renton The NT3 is considerably heavier, so use the appropriate counterweight on the boom or sandbag on the base. It will also have lower output when compared with the NTG3, so make sure you are getting good performance from your preamp.
I use an NT3 for this situation in my studio, but that's a dead-quiet treated space and I have a good preamp

Thanks Jay. Either mic when used in my 'studio' is on a supported boom pole so there's no issue re the weight for the way I have it set up. The preamp I have is the JuicedLink 231 - again on the recommendation of others more knowledgeable than myself. My 'studio' is not 'treated', but turns out is very quiet simply by the nature of it.

Renton Maclachlan January 27th, 2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1611990)
Got boom? I'd like to suggest a great boom stand that I picked up after watching this video by Guy. For me, regular mic stands just don't cut it, even the nice Atlas one I have with tripod legs. This Combi-boom can get really high, and comes with a bag to put sand/rocks/batteries in for balance.

YouTube - Manfrotto 420B Combi boom stand for lights or microphones

Hi Chad. Impact from B&H has one very similar - quite cheap -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272945-REG/Impact_3218_Multiboom_Light_Stand_Reflector_Holder.html
Samson has a real solid job - heavy though - huge reach - also quite cheap -
Samson Audio - SB100

Chad Johnson January 27th, 2011 10:43 PM

The sampson looks good for a studio boom. I don't know if I personally would go for the impact one. I have some at work for reflectors. Maybe as a third boom. I plan on getting a 2nd manfrotto. It's pretty beefy, and I like stuff that will last me. But I'm still keeping the link! I just try to hold out for stuff I'd rather have. I like the dual nature of the "Combi". It can be a straight up (literally) light stand, or convert to a boom. Really, a fella can't have enough booms. The OP may be stoked with the Impact.

Renton Maclachlan January 28th, 2011 01:57 AM

The Impact 3218 is a combi. It goes straight up 4.15m and has a boom length of 1.8. It's great.