Zoom H2 users... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom H2 users...

Do you guys have problem's synching in post? it seems no matter how "on" I initially have it. It will slip to about 5 or 6 frames as time progress's. I have a sony recorder as well where this doesn't happen. Am I missing something?

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you have PluralEyes?
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

My Zoom is useless at holding sync, yet my three MiniDisc recorders are spot on over the hour. It may well be an excellent little audio recorder, but it's sync is known to fluctuate pretty wildly.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Tom is absolutely right - the only two things I'd add are "all" zooms at holding sync .... and presumably you're recording at the sampling rate your NLE needs. Zooms default to 44,100 I think whereas Avid asks for 48,000.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Major Player

No Kelly, Unfortunately I don't have pluraleyes. Although I might breakdown and get it one day.

Thanks guys for the additional info... I guess I'll just have to deal with it for the time being.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Major Player

It's an audio drift issue . . . the audio syncs up at the beginning, but progressively goes out of sync. Every device will have a different drift rate (while some have none at all), and there seems to be a lot of factors that can play into why it happens.

I know there's another thread about audio drift somewhere here. You basically stretch the audio track a small amount. It's a lot of trial and error.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This is my solution in Vegas
1. I pull the footage and the audio from my digital voice recorders and place them on the time line

2. I trim the audio file to only what I need, like say if I started it before the camera was rolling I don’t have any use for that so it’s gone.

3. Sync up the audio in the first few frames

4. Then pick a point towards the end of the video, I use the announcement of the bride and groom, and cut the video right on one of the words( you can pull it back out later)

5. Do the exact same thing for the audio file, same word; I use the wave form to help cut… (it doesn’t really matter that you use a word, just that you are ending on the same sound as the video track.)

6. Move the cursor to the end of the video and note how long the video is, like 1:01:09;05

7. Then right click on the audio in the timeline, change the” time stretch/ pitch shift” from none to elastique, check the box that says lock to stretch (Preserves the pitch) and type in the exact length that you got from the video in the new length box.

Takes 2 mins once you have all the steps down, way better than fumbling around for hours like I did the first time
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Re: Zoom H2 users...

Interesting, David. I do all those steps except for on the last one I check to see if the Zoom clip is shorter or longer. If shorter I right click on the clip and select 'Speed'. Then I try 99.99. If it's still shorter I go 99.98. I just keep tweaking until it matches up.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grinnell View Post
This is my solution in Vegas
1. I pull the footage and the audio from my digital voice recorders and place them on the time line

2. I trim the audio file to only what I need, like say if I started it before the camera was rolling I don’t have any use for that so it’s gone.

3. Sync up the audio in the first few frames

4. Then pick a point towards the end of the video, I use the announcement of the bride and groom, and cut the video right on one of the words( you can pull it back out later)

5. Do the exact same thing for the audio file, same word; I use the wave form to help cut… (it doesn’t really matter that you use a word, just that you are ending on the same sound as the video track.)

6. Move the cursor to the end of the video and note how long the video is, like 1:01:09;05

7. Then right click on the audio in the timeline, change the” time stretch/ pitch shift” from none to elastique, check the box that says lock to stretch (Preserves the pitch) and type in the exact length that you got from the video in the new length box.

Takes 2 mins once you have all the steps down, way better than fumbling around for hours like I did the first time
That's a great tip, David! I use Tascam recorders, and they have the same drift problem.
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have zoom h4 and zoom h2...make sure you change sampling rate to match up. On mine I have zoom h4 stamina off and wave 48kHz/24 bit...same for zoom h2: menu, rec mode, 48/24.
Joshua Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Major Player

While the sampling rate shouldn't affect the speed, the default on the H2 is 44 instead of 48, so it's easy to miss that and record at a lower quality.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Trustee

So, do all the Zooms audio drift?
I was thinking of getting a Zoom to replace my minidisc.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

H2 and H4 drift but the H4N doesn't. that's why I upgraded. well worth the extra money to eliminate the drift issue.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
H2 and H4 drift but the H4N doesn't. that's why I upgraded. well worth the extra money to eliminate the drift issue.
Thats good to know Pete, thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I've experienced this with every digital recorder I've used: Mini Disc, iRiver H120/320, Zoom H2, Sony PCM-D50, Tascam DR-2d.

Even though you're recording the same thing the internal mechanisms of different devices may move at a slightly different speed. Usually the difference is not drastic. Usually for a 1 to 1 1/2 hour segment the audio source I use might drift about 1/2 second by the end. With digital sources the drift is constant and easy to fix.

In Sony Vegas line the new track up with your camera's audio track and use some reference point at the beginning to sync them. A hand clap or sharp, quick noise works well. Sometimes it might take a little effort to get this part down just right. I usually pan each track to a different channel and use headphones so I can hear each clearly and know they are in sync.

Then go to the end of the tracks and find a noticeable spot at the end. I use a little trick I came up with of finding my reference spot at the end and holding down shift and using the arrow key until I get to the same point in the other audio track. This give me a loop region that is exactly the space of the drift.

Then drag that loop region to the end of your new track, hover your mouse at the end of the track, and hold down the CTRL key. You'll see the ~ symbol appear. Drag the track left or right the stretch or shrink using the loop region as reference and it should be spot on after that.

There are other ways of syncing two audio tracks but using Vegas and the method I described I'm able to sync multiple tracks pretty quickly and without trouble.

There are other programs like Wavelab or Adobe Audition that will change the length of a file for you but it involves calculating the difference and inputting figures to change the length.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio