DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which frequency? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/492938-frequency.html)

Jeff Harper March 10th, 2011 04:50 PM

Which frequency?

I'm looking at the Sony lav systems below. I've used a friend's about 10 times, and it destroyed my G2, which I had nothing but trouble with. But I digress...

Which version would I want? Any thoughts? Do I need to look up the map thingy for my area? I have no clue, so your input would be appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553681-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_3032_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553684-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_4244_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html

Michael Bray March 10th, 2011 06:37 PM

Re: Which frequency?

Hey Jeff,

FWIW, I use the 3032 and can tell you that it's very reliable and produces very clean sound every time. Both frequencies are in the legal range so I'm guessing it shouldn't matter which one you use. I really don't remember why I went with the 3032 vs. the 4244. I think I borrowed the 3032 from a friend once and because that was my experience, that’s what I went with. I also seem to remember that there were a lot more reviews on B&H for the 3032 than there were for the 4244. In any event, sorry I can’t give you the scientific or technical answer explaining the difference between the two but I can tell you that I have absolutely no regret purchasing mine. It's a very solid performer.

Mike

Rick Reineke March 10th, 2011 07:20 PM

Yes! By all means check for usable channels in your area. That's probably the reason for your poor performance with the Sennheiser. ( or .. not scanning before shoot. If you are expecting trouble-free performance by just switching a wireless system on, It ain't gonna happen.)
Check the FCC, Sony, Antennaweb, ect for open channels in your area to stack the deck in your favor

Michael Bray March 10th, 2011 07:54 PM

Rick,

That's great information that I never thought to check on. Thanks for sharing!

Brian P. Reynolds March 11th, 2011 12:13 AM

The radio mic frequency blocks are certainly filling up fast with lots of things, in the past you could just set a frequency and use it anywhere for years never having to change it, these days its scan on EVERY location if you don't want problems.
A camo wanted to hire 2 of my Sennheiser G2 systems for a shoot and couldn't understand why the need for scanning, and could I send them out preset.
My comment was "would you send out a camera with a preset white balance and expect good results"?
Scanning is a "White balance for radio mics"
He saw the similarities... I got a days work out of that one.

Jeff Harper March 11th, 2011 12:52 AM

Thanks for the tips and suggestions about scanning. Regarding which model, it would seem the most popular model would make sense, but I'll check the frequency map anyway.

I had dropouts with the G2. I had come from a older higher end unit and expected the G2 to be better than the AKG because it was newer. It wasn't. Selling the AKG was my primary mistake. The guy I sold it to still remarks from time to time how great it is, and that was two years ago. It was a battery hog, but wow, what a unit. It's also illegal now, unfortuntely.

Anyway, I have found the Sony to have a nice warm sound with the included mike, much better than the stock mic with the G2, and never a single dropout. There is no audible hiss. It is a phenomenal quality for the price.The first time I held the Sony I wanted one, it was that nice; then after using it I was hooked.

Chris Soucy March 11th, 2011 03:02 AM

Gentlemen...........

There really is only one answer here.

As I seem to have the entire NZ radio spectrum for RadioMics all to my little old self, emigrate!

No matter where I go, no matter what I shoot, I have never, ever, found a frequency that I had set as "default" used by anyone else.

Don't just stand there, pack you're bags and buy the ticket.

I can guarantee no earthquakes for at least the first 5 minutes of your stay!

Ah, the spectrum!

Yep, it can all be yours if you move to jellyroll NZ!

Don't delay, buy today!

Quake tomorrow.

CS

Dan Asseff March 11th, 2011 07:26 AM

Jeff, this might help Find Available Frequencies

Dan

Jeff Harper March 11th, 2011 07:49 AM

Thanks Dan, very helpful!

Dan Asseff March 11th, 2011 08:14 AM

No problem. I have the 30/32 an It sound great and is rock solid holding a signal. I would get different tie clip though.

Dan

Jeff Harper March 11th, 2011 08:20 AM

Funny you should mention...lost his pretty quickly, had to buy replacements.