DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Bad noise removal please help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/494364-bad-noise-removal-please-help.html)

Luke Huxham April 10th, 2011 04:42 AM

Bad noise removal please help

Hey guys,

Sadly for me i have 2 very important interview on tape and my XLR setup was giving some crazy noise over the whole interview. What should i do to try and get rid of this? Any programs you can suggest that will hopefully help me get rid of this consistent noise over my interviews. Its the same sound for the whole interview. I have no idea why the noise was present in my previous shoot it was fine, but its my fault.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Could i upload a sample or the whole interviews and could someone have a look for me and maybe try and help. I would credit you in the final production ones it get launched on the web. Just really need some help with this.

Thank you in advance!

Roger Shealy April 10th, 2011 05:06 AM

Re: Bad noise removal please help

Luke,

Try posting a 30 second segment that contains both speaking (or other desired audio) and with just the noise. If the undesired noise is fairly constant several programs may be able to take it out. If it's variable it will be much more difficult.

Luke Huxham April 10th, 2011 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached the noise sample clip, someone please feel free to go to town on it and see if you can try and clean it up for me.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Manojlovic April 10th, 2011 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Without getting advanced, i simply captured the noise print, and applied it 100% with 30db reduction...

I basically took a baseball bat to the hissing, without worrying about the consequences...If you want somebody to fix it even further, perhaps some professional help would be better...

Hope this helps.

Rick Reineke April 11th, 2011 09:35 AM

Yeah, same as Peter, with two 15db process' of noise reduction using Sony's NR-2.0 and with some HF filtering, I was able to achieve at least 30dB of noise attenuation with 'minimal' artifacts.

Roger Shealy April 11th, 2011 10:56 AM

I ran it through CS5 Sound Booth noise cancellation with similar results. Seems to be several, easy fixes to the hiss problem.

Jim Andrada April 11th, 2011 11:28 AM

http://www.andrada.org/Audio/interview_noise.mp3

Similar story - this was relatively straightforward in Izotope. Only problem was getting it INTO Izotope -had to render it as wav first. About 10db of noise reduction with some smoothing seemed to get rid of most artifacts.

Also liked the interview itself! (I speak Japanese)

What mic(s) & setup were you using - sounded like it might have been a shotgun close to the speaker.

Really don't know why you would get this kind of noise - have you had similar problems recording in a different environment at different levels? Did you have the gain turned up? If mic/recorder were noisy, high gain would amplify the noise. I'm inclined to doubt the noise would come from the XLR cables connections themselves (were they balanced cables?)

Anyhow, fixing the interview is pretty easy in most any reasonably good package, but would be nice to be able to help you pinpoint the source of the noise

Battle Vaughan April 11th, 2011 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another try --- -49dB noise reduction sampled from hiss-only part of the track. I then raised the volume to bring out the background voices and applied compression to keep the speaker from peaking much over -6dB.
Compression 4:1 starting at -20db with 6 db gain. This is done in Sony Sound Forge 9. The boost to the lower volume background speakers raised the hiss a little bit from the original reduction, which was dead silent, but it is likely ambient room tone and doesn't intrude too much...

Luke Huxham April 12th, 2011 12:27 AM

This was with a beachtek XRL setup, i have no idea why it happened, in my last interview it worked perfect!
Thank you so much for you help guys really appreciate it!

Vincent Oliver April 12th, 2011 12:39 AM

Sounds like you didn't have any phantom power, - dead battery maybe?

Adam Gold April 12th, 2011 12:53 AM

Hm.... BeachTek... Horrible hiss.... I'm thinking you had the cam on Auto Gain and an older BeachTek without AGC Defeat. Is this possible?

Greg Miller April 12th, 2011 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one more version of a cleaned file. I think it's probably useable for most applications. I did not change any levels, so you can directly compare to the original. I mixed to mono for a few reasons.

Also, I had to truncate the length slightly to fit the 8.30 MB file size limit on this BBS (which seems awfully small compared to the size limits for still image files).