DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Software program to EQ your speakers so they're flat? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/49606-software-program-eq-your-speakers-so-theyre-flat.html)

Dave Largent August 19th, 2005 10:32 AM

Software program to EQ your speakers so they're flat?

Ran across where someone used a software program
and a flat omni mic to get their speakers flat, or
near as they could be. Anyone tried doing this?
The instructions said to hold the mic out about
3 feet from your speakers and you could see on the
frequency response analyzer how to adjust the
treble and base to make your speakers more neutral.

Boyd Ostroff August 19th, 2005 01:03 PM

I tried to approximate this in my own pseudo-scientific way :-) I got a Radio Shack digital sound level meter which was not very expensive. I then created a series of tones at the same dB level which covered the full audible range in steps by using a freeware application. I then tried to tweak the adjustments on my speakers (M-audio BX-5 plus an inexpensive KLH subwoofer) such that the response was as flat as possible.

Not perfect, but I think it helped get me in the ballpark. And the results surprised me a bit and pointed out how I've grown accustomed to a sound which is anything but "flat" :-)

Dave Largent August 19th, 2005 08:30 PM

Yes, this sounds like it has some promise in helping to
set up your monitors to be more accurate.
The program I saw has a 30-day trial.
Someone suggested getting as close to flat as you can
with the best preamp and omni mic you have, and
then renting a "reference mic" to finish it off.
The one thing I don't understand right yet is
what will your monitors/speakers be playing during
the test for frequency response? Test tones at various
frequencies?

Ty Ford August 21st, 2005 05:52 AM

This is probably a good way to get a generalized idea, but you have to begin with a fairly serious calibration mic and know how to use it.

And yes we may be surprised by what we have become used to. I transferred some audio from 78 rpm to CD for a client. We had to do a LOT of physical cleanup on the disks. He called me later saying the recordings sounded muddy on his home stereo. I burned another disc, played them in both my audio systems and in my car CD player. The CD sounded fine. Don't know how he had his system set up but when I suggested he check his tone controls he eventually found the problem. How long they had been that way is anyone's guess.

Good monitor sound begins wih getting good monitors and putting them in good places. Adding ANY sort of circuitry to correct monitor design or localized acoustical problems is asking for trouble because those circuits, themselves, also create certain distortions.

BTW, cheaping out on audio monitors is similar to cheaping out on video monitor.

Regards,

Ty Ford