DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Windcutter Furry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/498806-windcutter-furry.html)

Tom Morrow July 24th, 2011 10:44 AM

Windcutter Furry

I had a really great experience ordering a furry, and want to write about it here. I ordered through thewindcutter.com a relatively up and coming seemingly ma and pa place. What I liked about them was that they had good communication skills and were able to do semi-custom work. I wanted a furry to cover a cage, suspension, and mic, which meant there was nothing off the shelf for my purposes. I pulled out calipers and got measurements, and the Windcutter made me exactly what I needed, and for not much more than an off the shelf model. They even made some changes and did another round of adjustments, no extra charge except shipping. It's very clear that they care about getting it right. These folks are the real deal. I do not have any association with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Phil Murray July 24th, 2011 12:28 PM

Re: Windcutter Furry

I agree with you completely.

I've ordered 6-8 different Windcutter fuzzy windscreens from them including a couple of custom jobs and they have been incredible -- great communication and helpfulness plus a product that really works. They have several lengths/thicknesses available for each mic, too, so you can get the degree of protection that you need. I've used one of their heavy-duty windscreens on many very windy afternoons in Texas with very good results.

They are definitely my go-to source for windscreens.

Phil

Chad Johnson July 24th, 2011 01:14 PM

I wanted one for my Sony D-50. They hadn't made one for that model recorder yet, so I sent my recorder to them so they could develop a wind cutter just for that model. They made one that entirely surrounded the recorder - which is much more effective than just putting it over the top.

Vincent Oliver July 25th, 2011 02:40 AM

I purchased a windcutter to go over my Senheiser Lav. Very efficient company, the furry item was delivered within a few days (I am based in the UK), the price was good too and very helpful staff.

Just one small problem - the windcutter had no effect whatsoever on cutting out wind noise, even on a relatively mild windy day.

Great service, pity about the product.

In fairness to Wincutter. co they did offer me a full refund, which I didn't take up. Hopefully they will put the money towards development of new products. I will give them another go at a future date, their dedication to providing a product at a reasonable price, together with very good customer relations is something that we all appreciate.

John Willett July 25th, 2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Morrow (Post 1669660)
I had a really great experience ordering a furry, and want to write about it here. I ordered through thewindcutter.com a relatively up and coming seemingly ma and pa place. What I liked about them was that they had good communication skills and were able to do semi-custom work. I wanted a furry to cover a cage, suspension, and mic, which meant there was nothing off the shelf for my purposes. I pulled out calipers and got measurements, and the Windcutter made me exactly what I needed, and for not much more than an off the shelf model. They even made some changes and did another round of adjustments, no extra charge except shipping. It's very clear that they care about getting it right. These folks are the real deal. I do not have any association with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Rycote in the UK would do exactly the same thing if you ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1669836)
I purchased a windcutter to go over my Senheiser Lav. Very efficient company, the furry item was delivered within a few days (I am based in the UK), the price was good too and very helpful staff.

Just one small problem - the windcutter had no effect whatsoever on cutting out wind noise, even on a relatively mild windy day.

Great service, pity about the product.

In fairness to Wincutter. co they did offer me a full refund, which I didn't take up. Hopefully they will put the money towards development of new products. I will give them another go at a future date, their dedication to providing a product at a reasonable price, together with very good customer relations is something that we all appreciate.

The Rycote fur is very well designed and scientifically tested and made to Rycote specs.

It works very well and I would not use anything else.

Though I did hear of one competitor who went around the UK trying to find out who supplied Rycote's fur and trying to obtain the same thing. Don't think he was very successful, though.

Tom Morrow July 26th, 2011 11:32 PM

Yes, the windcutter fur isn't the absolute best fur; I think the fur on my redhead for the h1 has a "hand feel" that seems to me better for wind blocking.

The redhead fur seems more fine grained, more tangled up with lots of different lengths, flexing all over the place. The windcutter fur (I think I ordered their second-most-windproof fur) on the other hand seems like thicker, more uniform strands, which flex primarily at the base. The windcutter fur more moppy whereas the redhead more feathery. But I doubt the type of fur makes that much difference.

One thing I'm torn on is combing. Some say that combing your furry is best, but personally my thinking is that having the strands in random orientations is better than having them in orientations where they will all react to the wind the same way at the same time. The whole idea of a furry is to spread the reaction out into as wide a space (and time) as possible. The only reason I can see for combing is to keep your furry clean and pretty so that twigs don't fall on the talent.

Chad Johnson July 27th, 2011 10:36 AM

I think brushing, not combing is good. You brush it so it's fluffiness is maximized.

Vincent Oliver July 27th, 2011 10:42 AM

How about shampooing the furry beast and then blow drying it?
In theory the latter should be a near silent operation :-)

Tom Morrow July 27th, 2011 10:46 AM

Chad, good thinking... I might actually try combing/brushing backwards to tease the strands outward. Where's the 80's hair girls when you need their advice?

John Willett July 27th, 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Morrow (Post 1670371)
One thing I'm torn on is combing. Some say that combing your furry is best, but personally my thinking is that having the strands in random orientations is better than having them in orientations where they will all react to the wind the same way at the same time. The whole idea of a furry is to spread the reaction out into as wide a space (and time) as possible. The only reason I can see for combing is to keep your furry clean and pretty so that twigs don't fall on the talent.

Rycote always supply a brush with their Windjammers.

The trick is to first brush backwards "with the grain" to get rid of knots, etc. and then brush gently "against the grain" to make the hairs stand up and be most effective.

The Rycote Windjammer has hairs of different lengths so they combine for the best effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1670527)
How about shampooing the furry beast and then blow drying it?
In theory the latter should be a near silent operation :-)

Wash by hand in "Dreft" in luke-warm water and leave to dry naturally (in an airing cupboard is OK, but not hotter).