Microphone necklace? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Microphone necklace?

I'm doing depositions and often the girls come in with really floppy collars. You know the drill. The Lapel mic travels around and flops all over.

So whats that thing called that you wrap around their neck like a necklace? Googled that but no joy.
Sure, I guess I could use a piece of string, but wanted something correct for the application? Is there such an item?

Thanks,
GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Microphone necklace?

Electrovoice produced one years ago that used a neck cord, the mic was HUGE compared to the ones around today.
Electro-Voice Model 649B

I have a skin color shoe lace in my kit for this exact problem, just tape the lapel mic onto the shoe lace with a small amunt of skin color sports bandage tape it will work fine. But the talent will need to remove ANY other necklaces etc to stop them banging the mic.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've also used shoelaces and even the "necklaces" that have ID tags on them which actually work realy well since the "necklace" is a bit wider than a shoelace and has an alligator clip on it which can make mounting the mic pretty easy with a little 2 sided tape or a clip.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The term lavalier comes to us from the jewelry business. It is a type of pendant suspending from a necklace. "Back in the day' - that's the way folks wore personal microphones. And they WERE pretty big. The term now applies to any kind of small personal mic you clip on or hide on the person.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lee View Post
whats that thing called that you wrap around their neck like a necklace?
That's a lavalier.

Or were you thinking of a noose?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
Electrovoice produced one years ago that used a neck cord, the mic was HUGE compared to the ones around today.
Electro-Voice Model 649B

I have a skin color shoe lace in my kit for this exact problem, just tape the lapel mic onto the shoe lace with a small amunt of skin color sports bandage tape it will work fine. But the talent will need to remove ANY other necklaces etc to stop them banging the mic.
This is a Lavalier mic. in the true meaning.

A modern miniature tie mic. is not a lavalier mic., though lots of people (especially in the USA) seem to call them as such.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I better correct and clarify my question. I have a very good lapel mic. I'm not looking to buy another mic. I just wanted something like a necklace to hang it on. I thought there might be a professional looking something instead of a shoestring.
Although that is a good suggestion if you pros are using it.. it may have to be the route...

I was hoping there would be something with the mic holder built into it like the alligator clip that comes with the lapel. and a fast connector on the top.. I know its a very narrow market.

Thanks,
GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Just and idea (I haven't tried it yet)... I have cut up polypropylene milk containers into various sizes and shapes to use as backing/stiffening material for various projects. The same could be used as a backing to the clothing fabric using gaffers tape to affix it to the area where the microphone clip would be attached.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Trustee

I keep small oval shapes of thin, buff-colored cardboard (like the backing of a notepad) in my lav kits for use in backing up thin fabrics. However it only suffices to back up moderately thin fabrics, it won't be enough to support if the blouse is totally formless. And it takes some time to place properly with a very small bit of folded gaffers tape.

I think a neck lanyard may be a better course when setup time is minimal, or the people aren't expecting to be connected with a mic (like female on-camera talent is used to) or you're recording many people in sequence.

With most ID or promo neck lanyards that come with a metal clip, I simply break off the thin metal and use the small fabric loop that remains for whatever I need to connect using my own quiet rings or hair bands.

BTW that EV mic is pretty small compared to the lavalier that was in the storage cabinet when I started at this company... It could have doubled as a medieval weapon to be swung overhead on its cable!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lee View Post
I'm doing depositions and often the girls come in with really floppy collars. You know the drill. The Lapel mic travels around and flops all over.

So whats that thing called that you wrap around their neck like a necklace? Googled that but no joy.
Sure, I guess I could use a piece of string, but wanted something correct for the application? Is there such an item?

Thanks,
GLB
Not what you were looking for but cool nonetheless:

neckmics.com
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
The term lavalier comes to us from the jewelry business. It is a type of pendant suspending from a necklace. "Back in the day' - that's the way folks wore personal microphones. And they WERE pretty big. The term now applies to any kind of small personal mic you clip on or hide on the person.
Oh, oh, oh.... HISTORY. I LOVE HISTORY.

The above is accurate, but to go even further the "lavillier" term comes only second hand from jewelry.

The actual root of the term is owed to a french king's mistress, Madame LaVallier. Who scored a big honking jewel hanging from a necklace from said King - and that style of bauble took on her name.

Look at the early days clips or stills of the TODAY show with Dave Garoway hosting. You'll see the type of mic that originally adapted the term for a neck worn mic.

Like I said. I LOVE history!
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Trustee

You might consider something like this The Museum of Technology, the Great War and WWII" although you'd probably have trouble interfacing to the carbon transmitter. It is worn around the neck, and it would probably hold that floppy blouse securely in place.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

This whole thread rocks, and I'm drawn to comment, because yesterday I had an actress that I had wired up with a lav, did a sound check and everything sounded great. During the first take I heard the sound of her necklace pendant moving on its chain as she acted. Ended up having to put a loop of tape behind the pendant to tape it to her chest so it wouldn't move and kill my sound.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Major Player

Or even something like this...Gim Crack Microphone Holder, Magic Trick, $16.00, The Magic Warehouse then you could use almost any mic for the shoot ;)

Mics & Amp Issues
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Trustee

I would like to see this used with an RE-20. With this level of technology, it's a miracle that they get any of their magic tricks to work.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio