DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser G3 diversity receiver performance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/500170-sennheiser-g3-diversity-receiver-performance.html)

Brett Delmage August 30th, 2011 07:31 PM

Sennheiser G3 diversity receiver performance?

I've been using a Sennheiser G2 wireless system for a few years and am thinking of getting another channel. The G2 system works quite well most of the time. I have been surprised at the number of multipath dropouts. That's my only complaint about the G2, really. I realize there are better systems, but not in my budget.

For those of you using G3s, how well does the diversity receiver work in practice? Is it a real, noticeable improvement over the G2?

Brett

John Willett August 31st, 2011 06:29 AM

Re: Sennheiser G3 diversity receiver performance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Delmage (Post 1678779)
I've been using a Sennheiser G2 wireless system for a few years and am thinking of getting another channel. The G2 system works quite well most of the time. I have been surprised at the number of multipath dropouts. That's my only complaint about the G2, really. I realize there are better systems, but not in my budget.

For those of you using G3s, how well does the diversity receiver work in practice? Is it a real, noticeable improvement over the G2?

Brett

Are you sure the dropouts are multi-path and not signal strength?

Check squelch level - normal setting should be "low".

Check the transmitter antenna as a transmitter touching the skin can lose you about 70dB of transmission power. Even 1cm off the shin gets back most of this loss.

But, yes, the diversity EK 100 G3 will be better as to multi-path mutes.

Brett Delmage August 31st, 2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1678853)
Are you sure the dropouts are multi-path and not signal strength?

The dropouts occurred when reflecting objects moved, or the camera moved when I'm was mobile. For example (both cases with fixed transmitter at a PA board feed) in an auditorium with an audience member moving up the aisle, or outside in a park downtown (many reflecting buildings) when my camera moved around a staged performance.

Quote:

Check squelch level - normal setting should be "low".
I typically received a burst of 'RF dropout/fade noise' - the signal wasn't weak enough for any squelch to kick in, or else I had it on set to low or off.

Quote:

Check the transmitter antenna as a transmitter touching the skin can lose you about 70dB of transmission power. Even 1cm off the shin gets back most of this loss.
This is a good point and that is a high loss. It not relevant in my usage, because the Tx antenna was sitting somewhere near the audio mixer, antenna carefully in free space.

However I have wondered and will welcome everyones' comments on this: Photos of the G2, G3 always show STRAIGHT antennas. My antennas are flexible, and they flop and curl around a bit. I was considering straightening them with something plastic and less flexible, like a small tiewrap or spray can extension tube to see if fully extended antennas make a difference (it should).

What are other user's antennas like in normal usage ?

It could also be that I was using 'clear', but not optimal (noise-free) channels. Does anyone know of a directory for Canadian cities for best frequency use?

Quote:

But, yes, the diversity EK 100 G3 will be better as to multi-path mutes.
John, I'm looking for actual user experience that confirms this. You said "will" here - have you used G2 and G3 series and know for a fact that the diversity works ?

Thanks for your ideas, and esp. the reminder about keeping the Tx antenna away from skin.

Brett

Dan Ostroff August 31st, 2011 11:54 AM

[/QUOTE]
However I have wondered and will welcome everyones' comments on this: Photos of the G2, G3 always show STRAIGHT antennas. My antennas are flexible, and they flop and curl around a bit. I was considering straightening them with something plastic and less flexible, like a small tiewrap or spray can extension tube to see if fully extended antennas make a difference (it should).
[/QUOTE]

I've seen some folks use rubber tubing around the Tx antenna to help keep it off/from touching the skin, seems definitely worth a try.

John Willett August 31st, 2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Delmage (Post 1678931)
The dropouts occurred when reflecting objects moved, or the camera moved when I'm was mobile. For example (both cases with fixed transmitter at a PA board feed) in an auditorium with an audience member moving up the aisle, or outside in a park downtown (many reflecting buildings) when my camera moved around a staged performance.

I typically received a burst of 'RF dropout/fade noise' - the signal wasn't weak enough for any squelch to kick in, or else I had it on set to low or off.

OK - sounds like it is multi-path then.

Quote:

However I have wondered and will welcome everyone's' comments on this: Photos of the G2, G3 always show STRAIGHT antennas. My antennas are flexible, and they flop and curl around a bit. I was considering straightening them with something plastic and less flexible, like a small tiewrap or spray can extension tube to see if fully extended antennas make a difference (it should).

The antennas are deliberately floppy, it makes them a lot more durable.

Quote:

Does anyone know of a directory for Canadian cities for best frequency use?

Talk to Sennheiser Canada.

Quote:

John, I'm looking for actual user experience that confirms this. You said "will" here - have you used G2 and G3 series and know for a fact that the diversity works ?

Thanks for your ideas, and esp. the reminder about keeping the Tx antenna away from skin.

Seeing as I used to work for Sennheiser before I went freelance, I do know all about radio.

But, personally, I use radiomics as little as possible as my main recording is classical music recording for CD release. I have used radio, but mostly G1 and G2 - but as you are getting multi-path the G3 would be better as you do have two antennas and the second antenna is always at a different angle, which improves things. How much better I can't say - you will need this from someone who has used both G2 and G3 in anger on a shoot - which I haven't.