DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Spectrum analyzer for working with wireless mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/500753-spectrum-analyzer-working-wireless-mics.html)

Greg Bellotte December 8th, 2011 10:37 AM

Re: Spectrum analyzer for working with wireless mics

My unit has suffered an untimely demise...it no longer receives any signals. Looks like maybe a short in the antenna jack. It has taken me over a week to get them to give me return instructions, which involve returning the unit to china of course. wonder how long the repair will take and if it will ever make it home again...

Tom Morrow December 13th, 2011 03:40 PM

I suppose apple will never let apps run the radios in an iphone; otherwise there would be an app for that.

But this thread did inspire me to search for an audio 20-20k spectrum analyzer; I just got an iphone. The iphone may be a decent platform for spectrum analysis test equip due to the hardware being standardized (unlike PC soundcards which can have random response).

David Aliperti March 19th, 2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds (Post 1691863)
I received the unit today (starting to get worried after 25 days in the mail).... first impressions BRILLIANT.
No instruction book supplied but within 5 mins got my head around it.
Its actually interesting what RF is around... but very little RF action in the 750-800Mhz range where I live so that means the Sennheiser G2 radio mics that I own will be used for a lot longer. It was also interesting to see the inter-mods when 2 mics are on and not on compatible groups and how it cleaned up when compatible frequencies were selected.
I have an OB late next week and intend to take it with me, it has 4x radio mics 2x IFB channels 3x TX / RX communications setups as well as the in house systems. And in about a month I have a job 8x radio mics 4x IFB channels and 4x Communications channels.
Its also interesting watching the 800-900Mhz area with the mobile phones coming and going.
Size of the unit (without antenna) is about same as an iPhone and just over twice as thick, screen is easy to read / see.
I have included a few pics of the screen (plastic protective cover is still on the unit)
First pic of a single radio mic the second pic with the inter mods.

Sorry to resurrect this post, I am curious if any update happened concerning the use of this tool, I have 4 systems ew 100 g2, 626-661 MHz that are almost unusable in many urban areas. I am located in Italy.

Paul R Johnson March 19th, 2018 01:24 PM

I think plenty of people have them - I certainly use mine to monitor radio mics channels, and the wifi channels as I have some mics on those too.

Roberto Diaz March 20th, 2018 08:21 AM

there are a number of inexpensive (as low as $25) Software Defined Radio (SDR) dongles that plug into the usb port of a computer. the great thing about these SDRs is that they have the ability to operate as low as ~100MHz and can cover (depending on the model) up to 5 or 6GHz. the dongle has a flexible front end that covers all those frequencies and the application is determined by software on your computer. some folks have used a raspberry pi and display for the controller. folks have used these as the basis of police scanners, aircraft ads-b receivers, gsm base stations, etc so a simple spectrum analyzer should be nearly trivial to create. it must exist out there somewhere.

another option, if you're interested in onlyl WiFi signals, is any of a number of apps that you can run on your smartphone. i have WiFi Analyzer for android (by farproc) that is tiny, free, fast, and easy to use.

David Peterson March 25th, 2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1942235)
Sorry to resurrect this post, I am curious if any update happened concerning the use of this tool, I have 4 systems ew 100 g2, 626-661 MHz that are almost unusable in many urban areas. I am located in Italy.

Just get yourself RF Explorer, like Paul said lots of people are using them. Or any of the other options, like Robert said.

Just giving another +1 vote for this.

Rick Reineke March 26th, 2018 05:01 PM

I use the RF explorer when I have to use receivers that don't have decent on-board scanners (the Sennheiser Evolution series for instance) and it works in 'RF hell' (Midtown Manhattan) Of course thing can change quickly, but it's a good initial heads up on what's currently open. and what's not.

Brian P. Reynolds March 27th, 2018 08:27 PM

I'm amazed at how much people will spend on mics, lights, cameras and other bits and pieces yet they won't spend just over a $100 to buy an RF Explorer.....

Its only got to save just ONE job and its paid for.